Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM

180 posts, read 596,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbound2024 View Post
Hey no problem. Of course I feel obliged to tell you that you'll find mean or disrespectful people anywhere, the South included. It's just that most people down here don't tend to be outright rude from the start. Also, it's understandable to worry as much as you are before making such a major life changing decision! I hope that you have also found a nice job down here as well, by the way. I am unsure of the circumstances of why you have decided now is the best moment to move, but it is refreshing to know you have decided to move to the American South. Make sure you visit a Cracker Barrel while you're down here and taste some good Southern cooking that hasn't been dampened by the national restaurant chain (the food I ate in Cleveland, OH at Cracker Barrel was just as good as the food at a Dickson, Tennessee Cracker Barrel). I have much respect for you and your courageous decision to move across country to a land unfamiliar and with no people you know! If we can make this transition for you smoother through recommendations on various topics or even over a cup of coffee, let us know.
Good post and I agree! It's a hard decision to make, especially now. I admire anyone who decides that this is the time for them. Capture the moment and relish it. Live life to the fullest. If we can help, don't hesitate to ask anyone on here from Tennessee. Most of us are pretty easy and knowledgeable to talk with and if not, we can differ to someone who is better qualified.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 40,587 times
Thank you both again. The transition is not as scary after reading the kind words i am hearing from you all. I know that this is a rough time in our economy to move and start over but I have read that Nashville has not been much affected by the recession as the northeast. I have been trying to move for years but out of fear and having stability here i never would. I visit all parts of the south a few times a year and i always love all the places and never want to come back to CT., it feels good and feels right when i am there. Not to mention i swear i cannot do another winter here again! The winters here are horrible and depressing! Plus the major factor- i want to buy a house and there is no way to do that here for me in the northeast. I make close to $80,000/yr and still cannot afford a home where i live, i would never want a $600,000 mortgage anywhere! Again thank you all, and i am sure i will be on here tons more times asking a million questions when i get down there in 45 days!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Oh Yea Derek, I have been to Cracker Barrell! I love it , everytime i drive down south i make sure to stop there, the waffle house and golden corral! I love them all lol.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
I just have to add to this forum since my wife and I visited there for the first time last year. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Nashville and are planning on coming back this year for a songwriting convention/seminar. I am a California born southerner at heart (as a North Carolina friend told me) and my wife is a native New Yorker but we felt totally at home there. The folks were very friendly and helpful and the city is big enough to have all the amenities one could need yet small enough to have a laid back country flavor. We are even considering moving there as we have had enough of NY and are ready to settle down in a different area. God bless you folks there. BTW, Cracker Barrel has some great food and so much of it too!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what are the best public middle and high schools in Nashville. I heard the public schools arent that great but there has to be at least one or two around? Also anyone know of any good pediatricians in the area? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lholan View Post
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what are the best public middle and high schools in Nashville. I heard the public schools arent that great but there has to be at least one or two around? Also anyone know of any good pediatricians in the area? Thanks.
Hume Fogg is a very good high school. Hillwood and Hillsboro are okay, I think.

I would assume West End Middle is a reasonably good school. Out in my neighborhood, Bellevue Middle seems okay. I don't have children so I'm guessing a bit. Most of the middle and elementary schools are at least acceptable; the high schools are where the major problems are.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM

43 posts, read 305,375 times
From what I know, any of the magnet schools in Metro are good. Depends on what you want for your child. Williamson County schools also have good reputations.

If you're looking for biscuits even better than Cracker Barrel's, try the Loveless! mmm...

Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Thank you both! How about any pediatricians that anyone can recommend to me?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lholan View Post
Oh Yea Derek, I have been to Cracker Barrell! I love it , everytime i drive down south i make sure to stop there, the waffle house and golden corral! I love them all lol.
Try Huddle House sometime. My wife thinks they have the biggest baked potatoe with the meals she has ever seen.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Oh yea i have been to Huddle House before, they remind me of Waffle House. I do love them all, the best food is in the south. And i am afraid that i will get really fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville