Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,718 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just started reading the forum here and I love it! All the advice here has been great.

I'm wanting to relocate to Nashville from California and I'm needing some advice on how to do it. A little background on me-- I'm in my mid-twenties, I'm single and I don't have any children. I'm currently working as an Administrative Assistant and I have several years of experience in the field. In particular, the majority of my experience is the non-profit setting (for a large church) and also in a construction office. I've been applying for Admin positions in Nashville but I'm not hearing back from anyone. I'm concerned that I'm going to have difficulty finding a position from California and that I will need to be in Nashville before anyone will take me seriously. My question is--how competitive is the Admin field in Nashville? Do you think I would be able to find a position within a year of moving there? 6 months? I'm willing to temp for a while before finding a position if necessary.

I'm also considering plan B--a return to school. I would love to go back to school to become an RN. I have the majority of my prereqs done (just need 2-3 more science classes) and I'm looking into living off grants/student loans and temping or doing work-study on top of school. I'm planning to apply to TSU and MTSU for the fall. Has anyone else done this? I want to make sure it's a feasable thing to do before I take the plunge.

Any advice/tips are appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
First, welcome to the forum!

I have a friend who has been applying for admin jobs for about 4 months with only one callback. It is tough. I imagine it is one of those situations where people who are over-qualified for admin jobs are taking them because it is the best that they can do in this economy. That has a trickle down effect. Certainly, having an out-of-town address might not be helping either. Even though you're well-qualified, if you're resume is sitting next to a dozen other well-qualified candidates they're probably going to start with the local folks first. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...or at least a bad guesstimate. I will say this, however, there are lots of positions out there...they're just being filled quickly. Keep trying and maybe you can get through. Definitely consider looking at medical offices...we have a lot of healthcare facilities here..doc's offices, etc...so that might help with the search as well.

As far as nursing goes, while we have a dire nursing shortage here, my understanding is that it is very competitive getting into a program. If you have a very good GPA and a good score on the entrance exam (NCLEX? I can't remember what it is now) then you stand a good chance of getting in. But when my wife looked at MTSU's program about 5 years ago, I think they only take 50 people in the program each year. I don't know about TSU or MTSU's programs specifcally. I think Lipscomb has a nursing program now offered in conjunction with Vanderbilt, and I think Belmont also has one.

In any case, best of luck and let us know how we can help.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Aquinas College has an RN program and I think some of the area community colleges do too

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your quick replies! I was concerned about the Admin field. I'm contemplating just moving and trying to see what I can find, but it's a big leap of faith. I've wanted to live in Nashville since I was a teen and I want to make sure I get there while I'm young and before I start a family someday. I do have some savings and I'm actively working on building it in preparation Does anyone know what the temping field is like? Are there a lot of temp jobs available or are they hard to come by?

Thank for the suggestion of Aquinas College! I actually have all the pre-reqs done they require and I just need to take the pre-entrance exam. I'm definately going to pursue that route! Unfortuantely my GPA is just average (3.35) so I may need to work on taking some classes in the meantime (underwater basket weaving, anyone? ) to give it a boost. I'm getting tired of the admin/office life and I'm really wanting to work with people and get away from being behind a computer all day. I've heard that it's tough getting hired as a new grad nurse right now--does anyone know what the job outlook is for new grads in Nashville in the next few years?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times
Not sure about job outlook for new grad RNs in Nashville. You may get better insights by posting your question on a nursing bulletin board - allnurses: A Nursing Community for Nurses

Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 PM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manders0222 View Post
Thanks for your quick replies! I was concerned about the Admin field. I'm contemplating just moving and trying to see what I can find, but it's a big leap of faith. I've wanted to live in Nashville since I was a teen and I want to make sure I get there while I'm young and before I start a family someday. I do have some savings and I'm actively working on building it in preparation Does anyone know what the temping field is like? Are there a lot of temp jobs available or are they hard to come by?

Thank for the suggestion of Aquinas College! I actually have all the pre-reqs done they require and I just need to take the pre-entrance exam. I'm definately going to pursue that route! Unfortuantely my GPA is just average (3.35) so I may need to work on taking some classes in the meantime (underwater basket weaving, anyone? ) to give it a boost. I'm getting tired of the admin/office life and I'm really wanting to work with people and get away from being behind a computer all day. I've heard that it's tough getting hired as a new grad nurse right now--does anyone know what the job outlook is for new grads in Nashville in the next few years?
Manders, regarding finding a job as an RN, it's just like most other jobs other there in that it's competitive. Working in the healthcare field myself, I know the nurses that are working at clinics or hospitals have been hired at a 1/3 of the average salary that RNs make. From what I've seen there are a lot of RNs out there here in Nashville, but only a few open slots.

Not to deter what you're wanting to do, but I'd keep a fresh eye out for an alternative option just in case finding an RN position doesn't work out. Are there any positions that you can possibly apply to that can use your admin experience to the next level?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Rutt Roh, I've heard that about nurses in CA, I wasn't sure about Nashville. I'm curious to know what the outlook is like in the next few years. It would take me 2+ yrs to finish all my nursing courses and get licensed. It's hard to know if the economy will have improved enough by then (hopefully it will!)

I'm not opposed to continuing to work in admin, I just haven't heard back from any of the places I've applied so far. I'm gonna keep applying though and hope that something comes through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville