U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM

20 posts, read 28,888 times

Advertisements

Hi All: My husband is in a hiring process for a job that would take our family to Nashville. I have only been to the airport in Nashville, so I really know nothing about it and have no idea how to even begin to make the decision of whether or not to move. My biggest concern is that my kids and our family will feel comfortable in the community and our kids will have access to excellent education and extracurricular opportunities.

From my research, I have been attracted to Franklin because it is a small, charming town with great schools - still very close to Nashville. I have also been interested in learning more about Brentwood and how it compares to Franklin.

We are not christian and would not be sending our kids to private schools; are the schools in Franklin and Brentwood high-quality - and when I say that, I mean even beyond test scores...family involvement, volunteer opportunities, tailored instruction to meet the unique needs of each student, etc... Test scores are important, but not the most important to me - I want schools to treat my kids well and keep us in the loop as parents - who doesn't, right?

We are a liberal family and are used to a circle of friends with progressive views of the world - is there any area in Franklin, Brentwood, the burbs where we would be able to find a comfortable mix of people?

These are my initial questions - the ones I am right now struggling to answer. Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

228 posts, read 504,981 times
Having learned from a number of families making the move in circumstances similar to yours (some for the second time in as many years, some veterans of half-a-dozen cross country moves, and having survived it ourselves) I’d start with what similarities or equivalents you can find to your current home for comparison.

The southern hospitality you’ve heard about is especially true for new transplants here. Those that aren’t locals moved here in part because of that - or were relocated life yourself - and so try to help where they can too. This forum is perfect example.

The programs that WCS teachers have to help integrate new students from the first day are so helpful and common that it’s routine here; but you’ll treasure it. A recently relocated family of four from the east coast laughs about how they love it here so much (in Franklin TN for them) that the next move may mean the husband is on his own :-)

Most of Franklin and Brentwood (both suburbs of Nashville) will likely blend together in your search depending on price range. You might start open to both and dig into which specific school programs / offerings work for you. Also, determine if you have a desired commute time to be mindful of everyday because that may aid your selection process quite a bit.

You’ll find the most diversity around the few high-density areas in Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin) – Historic Downtown Franklin, Cool Springs (between the two cities along I-65), and Maryland Farms; this is largely due to business professionals making the move to be close to these areas over the years and like minded households (locals and transplants) following suit.

Sorry to be so long winded. Does that start to help?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM

20 posts, read 28,888 times
Kevin - thank you so much for the information! The schools my kids attend now are so very friendly and kid-focused that I really worry about finding that same thing elsewhere, so thank you for giving my that insight into WCS schools! Can you tell me a little about the integration for new students?

My husband would likely be working near Vanderbilt; what type of commute would he be looking at from Franklin? Brentwood?

When you say diversity can be found in the densely populated areas- do you mean more than just ethnic diversity? If so, can you tell me more about that and how those areas feel different?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM

1,254 posts, read 2,097,488 times
Hmmm, reading your description of you and your family, I immediately thought of the West Meade/Bellevue area, as there are a lot of Jewish and Indian families in that part of the county. Also, there is a lot more diversity than you'll find in Williamson County, and especially Brentwood.

Also, you'll want to look in the Green Hills area, as that area is zoned for perhaps the best public high school in the mid-state... Hillsboro High School. Plus, there is a great mix of older housing in that district. You may also look closer to the Vanderbilt/Belmont area... there is a nice little neighborhood called the Hillsboro Village. I think you'll understand when I say that Williamson isn't really the fit for your profile.

Of course, you'll need to come and visit and check out all those areas.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM

2,418 posts, read 5,148,636 times
Hillsboro is a good high school, but I'm not sure I would call it best in the state. As far as non-magnet schools go, I would put most of the Williamson County High Schools higher in ranking. Now if you can get your kid into Hume Fogg or MLK in Metro those are among the best in the country.

Franklin is more diverse than a lot of people give it credit for. As far as schools go Franklin Special is more ethnically and socio-economically diverse than the County Schools.

Franklin/Brentwood is very kids centric. There are tonnes of sports leagues and other activities here for kids. All of the schools seem to have very active and involved parent/PTOs

We aren't Christian and we haven't had any real issues with it, except for 1 incident with dinosaurs.

I will say moving here has made me more liberal than when I lived in the people's republik.

I'm slighly biased, but I can't stand 1 acre lots. My parents in a town with 1 acre min. lot zoning in CT and it just isn't an efficient use of land. I much prefer Franklin. My house is on a smaller lot, but I know all my neighbors and love that there are parks close enough to walk to, etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM

813 posts, read 1,876,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Hmmm, reading your description of you and your family, I immediately thought of the West Meade/Bellevue area, as there are a lot of Jewish and Indian families in that part of the county. Also, there is a lot more diversity than you'll find in Williamson County, and especially Brentwood.

Also, you'll want to look in the Green Hills area, as that area is zoned for perhaps the best public high school in the mid-state... Hillsboro High School. Plus, there is a great mix of older housing in that district. You may also look closer to the Vanderbilt/Belmont area... there is a nice little neighborhood called the Hillsboro Village. I think you'll understand when I say that Williamson isn't really the fit for your profile.

Of course, you'll need to come and visit and check out all those areas.

Good luck.
Hillsboro is far from the best public high school in the mid-state. Don't let the area its in fool you. They just made AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) this year after 3 years of not making it. Many living in the Green Hills area of the Hillsboro zone attend private schoos at the high school level and the school is populated with students living in South Nashville/Edge Hil area as well as parts of West Nashville. Not knocking the school or anything, but it is very over rated due to the area it is in. It is a Metro, non-magnet school, so that is all that needs to be said... I'd suggest you set up a visit of the schools in Metro you are interested in first before you make a decision based on personal opinions from this site.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM

265 posts, read 457,730 times
We moved from Chicago to Brentwood last July and LOVE it here! My commute to Vanderbilt every day is about 30 min. Somedays it's a lot less, far fewer days it's more. It's not a bad commute from Brentwood to Vandy, my classmates who live in Bellvue routinely spend 35-40 minutes to get to Vandy, so I'm not sure that would save you any time.

We have found Brentwood to be a great mix of all types of people--religious and not, lots of ethnicities, and really great schools. Both our kids have enjoyed their school years thus far--one is a freshman, the other is a 5th grader. We appreciated the new student programs that both schools do, our older son got free lunch and cookies a few times, for example. The schools are most definitely child-oriented and very high achieving.

Good luck with your decision. Moving can be daunting, but we are thrilled with our decision to move here!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM

374 posts, read 646,519 times
As the resident uppity atheist, I can't resist weighing in here (sorry Christians--please skip this post!) . . . you will have to become much more tolerant of Christianity here. The concept of Separation of Church and State (and separation of Church and fill-in-the-blank) has not yet caught on here. Many businesses (both chain and mom-and-pop) display pamphlets and that sort of thing. I remember a chain coffee shop that offered discounts if you presented your church flyer! Yesterday while waiting for my prescription at the Belle Meade CVS I read a booklet instructing me on the joys of 'submitting to my husband.' This is all very normal to the locals but jaw-dropping to many transplants from the outer boundaries of the nation. Hopefully less so to those who are more moderately non-Christian.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM

722 posts, read 2,004,407 times
You have to first understand what was seperation of church and state really means, not what liberals have redefined it as.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM

374 posts, read 646,519 times
El Passeaux: Please don't get this thread bumped or closed. I promise not to attack your spelling and grammar if you will NOT suggest that your Tea Party interpretation of the Constitution is the valid one. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville