Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 PM

80 posts, read 179,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
San Bernadino is nasty, smoggy, yucky - I would not want to live there - it's really dirty because of it's geography.

Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes - they're lovely - and expensive. Manhattan Beach is more crowded. PV is absolutely positively gorgeous in places. I know families in PV who private school and who homeschool.
PV and Manhattan Beach are expensive. Purchasing a single-family home in either will start at about 900K. Condos maybe 400-500K and townhouses likely in the 600s. Rentals will be all over the map depending on how many bedrooms, townhouse, condo - likely at least 2000 for a townhouse and around 3K a month for a home.

People everywhere homeschool and will send their kids to private school for a variety of reasons - regardless of how good the school system is in a particular area. PV has several private schools on the hill - Chadwick is the first one that comes to mind. Seems kinda silly to me to spend 16-20K per year on tuition when you have one of the top-ranked school districts in the state at your fingertips but I supposed people have their reasons.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,081,075 times
I lived in CA for about 10 years when I was younger (20's - 30's) - Long Beach, South Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Sacramento . . . loved living there. I would live there again but I don't want to work as hard as I would have to in order to afford it. Plus the state is going broke and the traffic is a nightmare. But maybe you have to find that out for yourself. I would suggest that wherever you move, whether it be TN or CA, do NOT buy a house. Rent for a year until you are sure. I agree with the other poster, that if you feel TN will be a HUGE sacrifice, don't move here. As they say, location, location, location.

To some people location is more important than what they do to live there. I worked in a youth hostel (cooking and cleaning) for 3 years just to live in the Swiss Alps.

And every day I would look up from my broom at the mountains and say "Yup, worth it . . . "

Best of luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,756,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Please don't move here. Save yourselves and all of us by avoiding this "bump in the road." I am not being mean, just honest. Your post speaks volumes, and you will not be happy here. And when people here do not appreciate your attitude of having made a "HUGE sacrifice" to move here, you will come back complaining that people here don't like transplants.

There should be plenty of available housing in Southern Cal as there are tons of Nissan transplants who have moved here from CA and love it here. I was with 2 of them at a playdate this morning. Take one of their places in CA and go live your dream.

ETA- I saw from your previous posts that you are looking at places like Palmdale, CA. Have you ever been to Palmdale? It is a pit. It definitely doesn't meet your objectives of good schools and safe area. I would avoid it if you do move to CA.
Wow...you are nasty. I am not a mean person and I certainly don't have an attitude. I don't like where I live now and I don't give an attitude to anyone. Wow. You know what they say when someone assumes something. Holy crap.

I asked about Palmdale. I knew nothing about it. I saw it online and thought it looked nice. I was told it wasn't a good place to be. I research everything before I consider it, just like I am doing now. No need to be rude.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
If I could rep you I would!

If you come into Nashville with that attitude, you will find it to be a difficult transition...
And you are also being rude as well. Look who are the ones who seem to have the attitude here. I was nothing but nice to everyone here. I read and re-read my post and there was nothing nasty in it at all. I hope everyone in Nashville isn't a ignorant as you couple of people are being.

To those of you who have been nice and helpful, and understand my position, I thank you immensely.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,314,696 times
In order to suggest a good place for you to live, it would be good to know a little more about your family -- more than just "wanting good schools" and a short commute.

Are you conservative or liberal?

What kind of price range are you looking at?

Can your family afford private schools, or are you pretty much dead-set on public schooling?

Is your family religious or non-religious?

What kind of entertainment/shopping/eating opportunities are important to you?

Do you want to live in a newer neighborhood with larger lots or cookie-cutter type houses, or an older, more established neighborhood or one with smaller lots?

I understand if you don't want to give out too much personal info, but it would go a long way as to deciding what area would be a good place for you to live. There is much that Nashville can offer, and many different neighborhoods. There is a lot of variance between the different suburbs and in the city limits itself.

Also, as to what brentwoodgirl said, you should probably consider her advice. I won't say it on such harsh terms, but it would serve you well to look at a city as a new opportunity, rather than just a stop on the road. She is right in saying that if you come here with the mentality of "this is the last place that I would consider moving," then you will honestly hate it here. If you move here with the mentality that "this is my home," even just for the time being, you will find it much more enjoyable. Honestly, if you are determined to move to California, I would advise you to 'skip' moving here and go ahead and do that. It will save you time and money (maybe) in the long run.

While your initial post isn't nasty, it could definitely be perceived as insulting. Most of us would like to think that this is a destination city, rather than a layover. Who knows? You might actually like it here.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM

16,044 posts, read 21,083,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I read and re-read my post and there was nothing nasty in it at all.
Quote:
We are making a HUGE sacrifice even considering this move to Nashville. No offense to anyone who lives there and loves it, but trust me it is the LAST place I want to be.
So you don't see that as rude and insulting? Really?
What if we reword it a bit~ "We are going to make a huge sacrifice and go your dinner party, even though it's the last place we want to go tonight. We can't afford to go to the place we really want to be, so we'll suck it up and make the best of it at your dinner party instead."

Maybe you didn't intend to be offensive but it surely came across that way and I can't say that I'm surprised at some of the responses.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
In order to suggest a good place for you to live, it would be good to know a little more about your family -- more than just "wanting good schools" and a short commute.

Are you conservative or liberal?

What kind of price range are you looking at?

Can your family afford private schools, or are you pretty much dead-set on public schooling?

Is your family religious or non-religious?

What kind of entertainment/shopping/eating opportunities are important to you?

Do you want to live in a newer neighborhood with larger lots or cookie-cutter type houses, or an older, more established neighborhood or one with smaller lots?

I understand if you don't want to give out too much personal info, but it would go a long way as to deciding what area would be a good place for you to live. There is much that Nashville can offer, and many different neighborhoods. There is a lot of variance between the different suburbs and in the city limits itself.

Also, as to what brentwoodgirl said, you should probably consider her advice. I won't say it on such harsh terms, but it would serve you well to look at a city as a new opportunity, rather than just a stop on the road. She is right in saying that if you come here with the mentality of "this is the last place that I would consider moving," then you will honestly hate it here. If you move here with the mentality that "this is my home," even just for the time being, you will find it much more enjoyable. Honestly, if you are determined to move to California, I would advise you to 'skip' moving here and go ahead and do that. It will save you time and money (maybe) in the long run.

While your initial post isn't nasty, it could definitely be perceived as insulting. Most of us would like to think that this is a destination city, rather than a layover. Who knows? You might actually like it here.
If you read my original post, I said I may end up loving it there but was doubtful since my heart is in Cali. I am open to try anything and will be pleasantly surprised if I do like it there. I also said that it was a good opportunity for my family and if it didn't work out, then we would continue on to California. It is the last place I considered moving because I never wanted to move anywhere but CA. I have heard alot of wonderful things about Nashville from friends who have visited and from friends who are moving there in a month, but it may not be a good fit for me or my family. We will see...all in good time.

I will tell you this. I got a private message from a Nashville resident not too long ago and they hate it there. There was not one good thing said to me about it from crime, to taxes, to kids being bullied, to schools, to health insurance to fake, rude people and even taxes on groceries. So, what I want to know is, where are you all living that everything is so perfect? And why do my politcal and religious beliefs matter? If I will be shunned in certain neighborhoods because I am democratic or atheist, or jewish or liberal, or god forbid gay or African American or islamic, why would I want to live there? I feel everyone can live in harmony if you have an open mind and heart. Everyone should feel welcome and comfortable no matter where they choose to live. Closed minded people are a huge problem to me and I want to be nowhere near them.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,461,474 times
I've pretty well steered clear of this thread. On one hand, I understand your (Flamingomo's) desire to make the best of a situation that they're being forced into. However, I fully agree that your attitude comes off as less than hospitable...and condescending. Whether it was intended or not, that is how it appeared to me as well. And I'd like to think I'm even-keeled and open-minded. And I certainly avoid internet flame wars. Yet, here I am...

Quote:
I will tell you this. I got a private message from a Nashville resident not too long ago and they hate it there. There was not one good thing said to me about it from crime, to taxes, to kids being bullied, to schools, to health insurance to fake, rude people and even taxes on groceries.
OK, so one person hates it here. We're a metro area of about 1.5mm people. I'm sure lots of people hate it here. Likes/dislikes are all subjective. If you come here with a predisposition that you are going to dislike the area...then guess what: you're probably going to dislike the area. One man's treasure is another man's trash I suppose.

Quote:
So, what I want to know is, where are you all living that everything is so perfect?
It's not perfect. This is planet earth. If you come here with that type of expectation, you will hate it here. I agree...perhaps you need to keep looking for "perfect". It is not going to be here for you. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy what we like about this area.

Quote:
And why do my politcal and religious beliefs matter? If I will be shunned in certain neighborhoods because I am democratic or atheist, or jewish or liberal, or god forbid gay or African American or islamic, why would I want to live there? I feel everyone can live in harmony if you have an open mind and heart. Everyone should feel welcome and comfortable no matter where they choose to live. Closed minded people are a huge problem to me and I want to be nowhere near them.
I think nashvols was just trying to steer you in the right area. You know, in Nashville sometimes people like to be around other people who are like-minded and have common interests. If someone is homosexual and a die-hard liberal...perhaps their first choice for living won't be a stiffly conservative, religious part of town. Then again, sometimes it doesn't matter. Nashvols was just trying to be helpful. That's what we try to do on the forum here.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I've pretty well steered clear of this thread. On one hand, I understand your (Flamingomo's) desire to make the best of a situation that they're being forced into. However, I fully agree that your attitude comes off as less than hospitable...and condescending. Whether it was intended or not, that is how it appeared to me as well. And I'd like to think I'm even-keeled and open-minded. And I certainly avoid internet flame wars. Yet, here I am...

OK, so one person hates it here. We're a metro area of about 1.5mm people. I'm sure lots of people hate it here. Likes/dislikes are all subjective. If you come here with a predisposition that you are going to dislike the area...then guess what: you're probably going to dislike the area. One man's treasure is another man's trash I suppose.

It's not perfect. This is planet earth. If you come here with that type of expectation, you will hate it here. I agree...perhaps you need to keep looking for "perfect". It is not going to be here for you. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy what we like about this area.

I think nashvols was just trying to steer you in the right area. You know, in Nashville sometimes people like to be around other people who are like-minded and have common interests. If someone is homosexual and a die-hard liberal...perhaps their first choice for living won't be a stiffly conservative, religious part of town. Then again, sometimes it doesn't matter. Nashvols was just trying to be helpful. That's what we try to do on the forum here.
I never said I was looking for perfect. Just safe, decent schools and god forbid, open-minded people. As I said, everyone should be welcome everywhere no matter what their race, religious, political or sexual beliefs. That is how I was raised, to be kind to everyone. And I'm sure more than one person hates it there. There are people everywhere who hate where they live and others who love it, but everyone should be understanding and considerate of other people's feelings and opinions. And as I said, I may end up really liking it.

I am OPEN MINDED. And far from condescending. You are reading way into my comments. I said the only place I ever wanted to live was California, so anywhere else would be my last choice I guess. And yes, I am trying to make the best of it, that is why I am here trying to gather as much info about Nashville as I possibly can, good and bad, but some here have made this into a very negative thing and that was certainly not my intention. I never meant to offend anyone and I even said, "no offense to anyone who lives there". Seriously I think people just enjoy being nasty and starting fights and causing drama with people they don't even know. Its so immature.

Again, I thank the ones who are understanding and have helped me. I truly appreciate it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,314,696 times
Quote:
If you read my original post, I said I may end up loving it there but was doubtful since my heart is in Cali. I am open to try anything and will be pleasantly surprised if I do like it there. I also said that it was a good opportunity for my family and if it didn't work out, then we would continue on to California. It is the last place I considered moving because I never wanted to move anywhere but CA. I have heard alot of wonderful things about Nashville from friends who have visited and from friends who are moving there in a month, but it may not be a good fit for me or my family. We will see...all in good time.
I did read your original post, and the point I was making was with the notion that "you might like it here but you doubt it" tends to make me think that you are setting yourself up for failure here. I don't intend to be rude when I say that, but it seems that by saying that you could be "pleasantly surprised," you are aren't truly giving this place a chance. It might just be the way you worded it rather than how you really feel.

I can understand that if your heart is set on California, then you probably don't consider anywhere to be as good of a fit for you, and that's fine. I don't take offense to anyone who prefers another place over Nashville or Tennessee. It's all personal preference, right?

What I am saying is that if you are going to be able to enjoy all that Nashville has to offer, you can't live life with your bags packed, ready to move on to the next place. You have to fully embrace life where you are living it...catch my drift?

Quote:
I will tell you this. I got a private message from a Nashville resident not too long ago and they hate it there. There was not one good thing said to me about it from crime, to taxes, to kids being bullied, to schools, to health insurance to fake, rude people and even taxes on groceries. So, what I want to know is, where are you all living that everything is so perfect? And why do my politcal and religious beliefs matter? If I will be shunned in certain neighborhoods because I am democratic or atheist, or jewish or liberal, or god forbid gay or African American or islamic, why would I want to live there? I feel everyone can live in harmony if you have an open mind and heart. Everyone should feel welcome and comfortable no matter where they choose to live. Closed minded people are a huge problem to me and I want to be nowhere near them.
It sounds to me like whomever sent you that message is pretty closed minded themselves. I'm not going to pretend that life is peachy in Nashville for the average gay black liberal Muslim woman, but it can be a pretty nice place to live if you let it. There is bound to be some sort of hardship for any minority group living in any city. Do you not think the same could be said for a conservative Baptist living in Portland, Oregon or San Francisco? That doesn't mean that Portland or San Francisco are terrible places to live. But if the conservative Baptist is afraid of being around people that don't agree with them, then it probably would not be a good fit.

As someone who has lived here for quite a while, I would tell you that your fears of being shunned based on your personal beliefs are unwarranted. There are communities of all types here. While it's true that the largest group are white Christian conservatives, almost every group is represented. I'm not sure what group you would claim to be a part of, but I guarantee you will have company here. If your problem with it is that you will not be in the majority group, I can't help you with that. If you are worried about being judged for what you believe in, I can't help you with that, either. Your options there are to either move to a place filled with like-minded people, or to not discuss your personal opinions or beliefs to anyone outside of your own circle. If you feel that the latter is unreasonable, then I suggest you do the former.

Once again, I don't mean to be rude, but rather I would hope that you decide to move here prepared, and with an open mind. I don't want you to move here and hate it.

Do some research, find a local website, forum, or blog that caters to you and your family's way of life, and decide whether or not this would be the right place for you to live. I would hate for you to move here expecting for it to be a bad experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville