Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 19,145 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My partner and I are relocating for a job in Franklin, TN. I am trying to find us a place to live now. However, the more I read I am finding that we would need to live in Nashville to be in a gay-friendly area. I really do not want a long commute like that every day.

Do you know of any places near Franklin that are more urban, trendy, diverse, and gay friendly? I really do not want a rural neighborhood or to be in a cookie-cutter area.

Basically, is there anywhere South of Nashville we could live that is more gay friendly than places like Brentwood or Franklin?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

215 posts, read 681,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley77golf View Post
Hello-

My partner and I are relocating for a job in Franklin, TN. I am trying to find us a place to live now. However, the more I read I am finding that we would need to live in Nashville to be in a gay-friendly area. I really do not want a long commute like that every day.

Do you know of any places near Franklin that are more urban, trendy, diverse, and gay friendly? I really do not want a rural neighborhood or to be in a cookie-cutter area.

Basically, is there anywhere South of Nashville we could live that is more gay friendly than places like Brentwood or Franklin?

Thanks for your help!
I am thinking South Nashville (zip codes:37211 and 37217) would be just the place?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
We've been getting a lot of questions like this lately (or else goodman is just bumping all the gay-themed threads for some reason).
I am interested in what exactly makes a community gay friendly.
I'm serious. Please don't start any Michael Scott-style jokes. I want to know the criteria because my experiences seem to contradict everyone else's.
Two couples we are close friends with are gay. Both are male couples who have been in long-term relationships (one for 23 years). One couple lives in Green Hills among a lot of old widows and some young families.
The others live in Westhaven in Franklin. It could not be more cookie-cutter.
They like it fine and have had no bad experiences or sideways comments.
I'm sure the fact that they look like they stepped out of a Brooks Brothers catalog has something to do with it. Perhaps if they were more, um, colorful, it wouldn't work so well.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 19,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We've been getting a lot of questions like this lately (or else goodman is just bumping all the gay-themed threads for some reason).
I am interested in what exactly makes a community gay friendly.
I'm serious. Please don't start any Michael Scott-style jokes. I want to know the criteria because my experiences seem to contradict everyone else's.
Two couples we are close friends with are gay. Both are male couples who have been in long-term relationships (one for 23 years). One couple lives in Green Hills among a lot of old widows and some young families.
The others live in Westhaven in Franklin. It could not be more cookie-cutter.
They like it fine and have had no bad experiences or sideways comments.
I'm sure the fact that they look like they stepped out of a Brooks Brothers catalog has something to do with it. Perhaps if they were more, um, colorful, it wouldn't work so well.
Honestly, my thoughts about gay friendly areas are that you can walk into a restaurant with your partner and not get all of the stares. My partner and I do not hold hands or do any other type of public display of affection. However, I don't like when we go places and there are only heterosexual couples with their children. It is nice to walk into a restaurant or place of business and see other gay couples around. I do not want or expect an all gay area but I don't want an all heterosexual area either. I like all kinds of diversity.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
If you work in Franklin but live in Nashville you will be going in the opposite direction from the traffic jams. This assumes no wrecks on the highway. Cool Springs can be a tough area for local travel when the stores are open. Roadwork on I-65 from Franklin to 840 will take some time.

The easiest way to fit in may be to get some Titan gear. We may need to be patient until the new management takes hold.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Thanks, Harley. I really appreciate the insight.
It actually made me think of a time in the late '80s when I was on a heterosexual date in downtown Memphis with a guy who had an artsy haircut (a la Spandau Ballet). Some guys drove past and yelled something to me like "why don't you come over here for a real man." It was truly mortifying.
So anyway, I can't actually attest to whether you'll get stares since I am part of the majority demographic group in Williamson County.
I do know that I see a lot of guys walking around Franklin and yes, even, Brentwood, together and my friends and I don't make any suppositions about them.
The Nashville area has long been home to many creative types, eccentrics and super celebrities. I honestly think the creative atmosphere of the music industry makes it a tad more tolerant. One reason famous people like to live here is because they can walk around without drawing a lot of attention or being pestered.
I would hope you could experience the same thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
I'm gay and my partner and I have been together for 9 years. I moved to Nashville in 94 and pretty much take advantage of every corner of Nashville. We live in East Nashville and it's very diverse over here...so as far as blending in...you would definitely blend in here. I honestly don't think you would feel uncomfortable in Franklin though. It's definitely more family friendly, but I know other gay people that live out in the burbs. It really boils down to what's more important to you. Everything we do, as far as bars, restaurants and entertainment are in Nashville...so that's why we live a mile from downtown.

Like others have said, this whole area tends to be polite and people are not going to be rude towards you. At least, I've never had that happen. I'm very observant and like to watch people and I would notice if we were getting stares. Nashville is a fairly progressive southern city and for the most part...people mind their own. Depending on what part of town you're in, you might get the occasional stranger who strikes up a conversation in the grocery line...but that's about as intrusive as people have gotten with me. I'm a friendly person myself, so I like it when that happens.

I really think you need to visit Franklin and Nashville and see which one feels more like a place you want to live. Don't worry too much about the gay thing. You might even check out the Green Hills area of Nashville. You would be on the south side of Nashville and have access to 440. Just a thought. I think it's WAY more important to find the area you like than anything else. I would rent an apt close to work first and then go exploring.

Good Luck with the move....I hope it turns out to be a good one

Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
You might like reading this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...-friendly.html

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM

24 posts, read 49,998 times
Hey harley! I'm gay and just relocated to the 37211 zip code..edmondson pike near old hickory to be exact. I'm single but have seen a good mix of single and gay couples in the area...spefically target and kroger lol. Anyway I feel totally safe here...no problems

Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Yes... that area around Harding Place and Edmonson Pike... from I-65 to I-24 is very diverse in both population and housing. There are the ultra-high end properties the closer you get to Oak Hill, and the more modest properties as you get closer to I-24. I don't see how you can go wrong by living in South Nashville, where you would be between Franklin/Brentwood and the so-called "gayborhoods" of west and southwest of downtown Nashville. And you'll have all the choices of eateries and bars that exist between those two axes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville