Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,822 times

Advertisements

Welcome to all the newcommers to TN. Its that time of year again...severe weather...Tornados, Hail, Thunderstorms, Floods, you name it are all back! I think this week started severe weather awareness and weren't we all made aware of its vengeance last night. I know parts of the Antioch area received severe damage, don't know it it was a comfirmed tornado or what but it sure looked like it at two churches that were hit. I hear Lakewood got hit bad too. Who else saw damage around town?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
There was some damage in the Indian Lake area of Hendersonville I heard.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 AM

For those new to the area, during this time of year until like July you regular scheduled broadcasting will be interupted quite a bit due to weather reporting. The newscasters and weather reporters do a good job tracking the storms, but they tend to stay on a little too long. I know not everyone in the viewing area lives in the metro area, but sometimes they are interupting to show storms that are well past the Nashville area that are probally just going through open fields or woods. I'm like why is the weather report still on 2 hours later??? Also, I know last night storm was bad, but forecasters forcasted it to come right around 10 in the Nashville area, which it did, they are usually pretty on it, but why was everyone warned to not leave out past 6 p.m. last night due to the treat of storms? I think it was a bit overexagerated because schools canceled all after school activites. My church even canceled things. I don't see why schools needed to cancel things that are generally over by 4:30 for High Schools, due to a storm that was expected to arrive at 10, which it did...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM

It can be a bit excessive, sure. But I'm glad they do pre-empt shows for weather coverage. Most of the time it is because the threat is real and severe. And if all the other stations are doing it, you know they won't lose viewers. And usually if they pre-empt a live broadcast (like a baseball game) they'll leave the game on in the corner or just interrupt commercials for live updates. One thing I have noticed is during sweeps week they definitely keep the weather coverage to a minimum if at all possible.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

But yea, Im like when the storm has moved way to the north eastern areas and the majority of the viewing area is out of the threat I'm like can't a Knoxville or Kentucky station take over???

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM

It doesn't bother me much...I rarely watch network TV.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I know not everyone in the viewing area lives in the metro area, but sometimes they are interupting to show storms that are well past the Nashville area that are probally just going through open fields or woods. I'm like why is the weather report still on 2 hours later???
I, for one, am glad they broadcast until the storm is past all of their viewing area! I live in one of those "open fields or woods" areas. We may only have a population of around 300 people, but we want to know what's going on in our area as much as people in more populated areas do.

As it is, I think they waited a bit too long before they started interrupting programming last night. There were already several warnings, and people needing to know that path the storm was taking, but all we got for a long time was just a crawl letting us only know counties, not which part of the counties were affected. I was watching my favorite show when they finally decided the weather was more important, and I was happy to miss the rest of "my" show for it.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I, for one, am glad they broadcast until the storm is past all of their viewing area! I live in one of those "open fields or woods" areas. We may only have a population of around 300 people, but we want to know what's going on in our area as much as people in more populated areas do.

As it is, I think they waited a bit too long before they started interrupting programming last night. There were already several warnings, and people needing to know that path the storm was taking, but all we got for a long time was just a crawl letting us only know counties, not which part of the counties were affected. I was watching my favorite show when they finally decided the weather was more important, and I was happy to miss the rest of "my" show for it.
Well I'm not using last night as an example. I think they were pretty accurate and to the point. But there have been times where they have been way over exagerted, even when it is storms in the Metro area. I guess they have to be, but sometimes when they warn they tend to really scare people and not fully explain the path of the storms etc. just leave everyone in panic before anything even happens, even with snow. Just like yesturday telling everyone to be in before 6 and causing all after school activties to be canceled was a bit extreem.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
I'm just glad the storms didn't hit with full force until after Big Bang Theory was over last night :-)

Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
I had a hair appointment in Antioch last night that apparently I was willing to risk life & limb for.

I ended up riding out the storm in a seedy hotel off of Harding Place. The lengths we girls go to, goodness.

Courtney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville