U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 AM

8 posts, read 11,394 times

Advertisements

Anticipating a move to Nashville, I'm looking for the better/safer areas to live. Don't know much about the city... I'm a creative/liberal type with an affinity toward older, bungalow-style, maybe 1960's, type homes. However, I'm not rich... are there any areas I should be looking to either buy or rent?

What's the commute from Murfreesboro or Belle Meade like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 AM

2,420 posts, read 5,159,138 times
Belle Meade is not affordable for most folks. Small ranch houses are $600k and basically you are paying for the lot.

Murfreesboro is a long commute to Nashville because traffic seems to be worse coming from that direction.

I would suggest you look at Sylvan Park neighborhood if you like bungalow type houses. It is cheaper than Hillsboro Village area.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM

764 posts, read 2,431,614 times
There aren't many older, bungalow-style homes in M'boro in better areas that are also affordable. The oldest homes are near the square and MTSU - you'll be in a diverse and fairly liberal area but you have to choose your street carefully as it gets sketchy depending on the street.

M'boro is very affordable but the commute into the city is fairly tedious depending on when you hit the interstate.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM

6,666 posts, read 12,476,217 times
Inexpensive + safe + fairly liberal + older/bungalow is a somewhat tall order here. lol

The Sylvan Park suggestion is probably the best one so far. It's not as posh or nice as West End/Richland, but there are some very nice looking and well kept homes there. It's not a crime-free area...but it's not really that unsafe, either. I think most of the crime is theft/burglary related.

Other areas to consider might be parts of East Nashville. To stay affordable and more in the "safer" area, you might check out East Inglewood.

You might also try looking around the 12th South area and other streets right around 440 between Leland Ln and Hillsboro Rd. Green Hills and West End themselves tend to be more expensive, but you may be able to find a decent deal in one of the in between areas.

And unless you are planning to win the lottery, I'd go ahead and rule out Belle Meade.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,698,358 times
There is a nice pocket of older ranch style homes with large lots that are very well kempt in Madison in between Old Hickory Blvd. & Dickerson Rd., very convenient to I-65, probably only 10 minutes to Downtown.

I think that Madison is underrated as a whole & that there are nice, safe, affordable places to live with convenience to boot.

If you want to go with a replica bungalow, they have them in the Neelys Bend area, here is one for sale: RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Courtney

Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 AM

8 posts, read 11,394 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. This is exactly the kind of information I need. It provides a place to start looking. I appreciate your responses!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM

54 posts, read 135,319 times
I second East Nashville. Sylvan Park may work. Depending on your definition of "not rich," Sylvan Park may not work and Charlotte Park may be better. Charlotte Park would probably land you in one of the 60's type ranches rather than a bungalow, but there are some bungalows to be found.

I'd recommend buying in East Nashville, renting in Sylvan park and buying in Charlotte Park. Sylvan Park gets pricey to buy, but there are a lot of old landlords there that have no idea what their homes are worth so you can find great rental rates. East Nashville has leveled off in prices, but now seems priced right and ready to move steadily into the future. Charlotte Park probably has some rising to do as far as home prices.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,725,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbleshanks View Post
Anticipating a move to Nashville, I'm looking for the better/safer areas to live. Don't know much about the city... I'm a creative/liberal type with an affinity toward older, bungalow-style, maybe 1960's, type homes. However, I'm not rich... are there any areas I should be looking to either buy or rent?

What's the commute from Murfreesboro or Belle Meade like?

Those bungalows are 200 bucks a sq ft in East Nash. - if renovated. if it's not renovated chances are a squatter is sleeping in it..lol I find them kinda claustrophobic..those dark oak beams and low ceilings -and they're so tiny! Hope you own small furniture..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville