Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Currently live in So Cal and will soon be relocating to Middle Tennessee.
5 posts, read 19,411 times

Advertisements

Hello - My family and I are moving to Tennessee really soon. My husband is transferring to help start up a new manufacturing plant in Goodletsville for his current company. We live in So. Cal, Orange Co. now and love it but are looking forward to a new adventure. We have 3 children ages 12, 11 and 2 so we're only considering the Williamson Co. are to buy a home (we hear they have the best schools and are highly rated on GoodSchool.com) We were out there in April in anticipation of things happending and really like the Cool Springs area, Brentwood and Franklin (reminded us a lot of Orange Co.) We're now narrowing things down to communities i.e. McKays Mill etc. if anyone has any input on communities I'd love to hear more. Oh, yes I also own an on-line boutique and want to know if there are any fashion or gift marts around there. I have LA here and I know Atlanta is about a 3-4 hour drive (yikes) but is there anything in Nashville or the surrounding areas? thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 PM

156 posts, read 680,099 times
ahhh! Franklin reminded you of OC???!
How can that possibly be??!
I moved here from San Diego and live in Franklin....well...respectfully I have to say there is no comparison!!! I guess what is has going for it ..is the historic downtown and battlegrounds...and people actually smile and say hello here...you will see big differences once you get settled here....
If you are looking in McKays Mill and you like that environment...have you tried Westhaven? it's not for everyone...but very unique community..
Good Luck! I am sure you'll like it here....oh..and bring a few cases of CA wine...it's a little pricey this far south...!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

31 posts, read 157,655 times
Hi there! I would be glad to recommend some neighborhoods to you, as I have lived in the area quite awhile and am familiar with many Brentwood and Franklin subdivisions, though I'm no real estate agent. However, because there are so many options around Williamson County, is there anyway you could be more specific about what you are looking for. Are you looking for a neighborhood with large or smaller lots? Are amenties, such as a community pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc. important? Would you prefer a gated community? What do you need to be close to? Also, price range (if you don't mind) is a big factor. In Williamson County, you will find a variety of price ranges, from a $250,000 home in an older Franklin subdivision to multi-million dollar homes, such as this home (http://www.silverpointeproperties.com/pdetails.php?mlsnum=841940 - broken link) that is for sale in Brentwood's Governors Club for $7.9 million.

Also - I agree with blueeyes. Westhaven is a very nice neighborhood. I found Westhaven has a website at WesthavenTN.com

Last edited by TNSoundsGood2Me; 07-24-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 PM

250 posts, read 1,014,607 times
Thumbs up Gotta love Williamson County

Hi Wendyn,

I, too, live in the Franklin area and agree with blueyes about the friendliness of the people here...it's a great place to raise a family. I have a first grader in the Franklin Special School District in Williamson County and couldn't be happier...the schools here are well-rated, indeed.

McKays Mill is huge, as you know, but is a popular subdivision in Franklin. Westhaven is a great community as well, but pricier than McKays...don't know your price range but you might also look into Chestnut Springs and Concord Hunt, both in Brentwood; or maybe Fieldstone Farms in Franklin (more like McKays Mill but homes built mostly in the 90s with a few exceptions).

Feel free to PM me for more specific questions and info and I can send you some links to helpful sites with additional information as well.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyn View Post
Hello - My family and I are moving to Tennessee really soon. My husband is transferring to help start up a new manufacturing plant in Goodletsville for his current company. We live in So. Cal, Orange Co. now and love it but are looking forward to a new adventure. We have 3 children ages 12, 11 and 2 so we're only considering the Williamson Co. are to buy a home (we hear they have the best schools and are highly rated on GoodSchool.com) We were out there in April in anticipation of things happending and really like the Cool Springs area, Brentwood and Franklin (reminded us a lot of Orange Co.) We're now narrowing things down to communities i.e. McKays Mill etc. if anyone has any input on communities I'd love to hear more. Oh, yes I also own an on-line boutique and want to know if there are any fashion or gift marts around there. I have LA here and I know Atlanta is about a 3-4 hour drive (yikes) but is there anything in Nashville or the surrounding areas? thanks for your time.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:17 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
This is all good info. I'll just add a couple of things. Since your oldest is 12, I'm guessing you're likely to be in this house when he/she's in high school too. Kepp in mind if you buy in McKay's Mill you'll be zoned for Page High, not Centennial. this is worth mentioning because CHS is much closer. Also, PHS is a great school, but the road from the Mill to it is quite a challenge for a new driver. Beautiful country road with lots of accidents.
Just a thought.

Also, if your husband will be driving into Goodlettsville each day, consider the drive time from Westhaven or Fieldstone. Just getting to the freeway can take half an hour. There are plenty of great neighborhoods that would be more convenient that way. (Cannonwood, Cool Springs, Forrest Crossing, parts of Avalon, Ashton Park, etc.)

Good luck with your move. Let us know how it's going.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 AM

162 posts, read 550,768 times
Default if anyone has any input on communities I'd love to hear more.

Cottonwood is an older, established neighborhood close to Fieldstone Farms that has huge, open common areas for the residents to enjoy. It can be hard to find a private yard, but a very nice 'feel' in the neighborhood.

Grassland Estates is a looser subdivision with far more variance and full growth TREES. Many of my clients who ask for something out of a subdivision end up loving this neighborhood.

Maplewood is another 'hidden' gem. A ton of trees and a few shaded drives right off 96.

Temple Hills is maybe the most affordable, private golf course community in the area. It can feel a little further out (to the West), but still attends Grassland Schools. Forrest Crossing is a public golf course community in the Franklin area.

Polk Place is a very well kept neighborhood just south of 96. It seems like every home is landscaped beautifully and appreciation has always been very strong.

Redwing Meadows has larger lots and is another neighborhood with a great open feel (compared with some of the newer neighborhoods).

I really like the homes in Fieldstone Farms that back up to the common areas. Its a great opportunity to have that large, open space feel - without the ride-on mower Fieldstone also offers a great variety of choices for such a uniform subdivision. From price ranges to floor plans, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of choices available to you here.

River Rest off Hillsboro Road is also an attractive neighborhood that is extremely convenient to some great schools, and has the charm of an older, established neighborhood. Great trees and mature landscaping.

This really is just scratching the surface though. There are dozens more that you are probably seeing online and would love to live in. Drive through as many as different neighborhoods as possible and see which stand out for you and your family. Hope this helps!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: Currently live in So Cal and will soon be relocating to Middle Tennessee.
5 posts, read 19,411 times
Default Great Information Thank You All! One other question re: schools

Fabulous information thank you everyone. Certainly a lot of information to absorb and look into further. Sounds like we have a lot of really fantastic options! Makes it an even more exciting option. By the way - when does school start in Williamson Co. and are the children bused? I noticed how far some of the schools were from certain neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Poplar Grove is the preK-8th school in Franklin that is balanced calendar. They started last week. Williamson County Schools start Aug 13th, although some hold a short registration day the week prior.

Yes, there are school busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville