Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 15,303 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
So my boyfriend and I are moving to East Nashville in June and Ive been looking online at rentals and have seen a lot of variety. We are looking for a 2+ bedroom for somewhere between $600-750. We could possibly go higher but would rather not. I have seen quite a few in the Cleveland Park area but have read mixed reviews on the area. What are the better areas to live in in E Nashville and how bad is the cleveland park area? Also, if you know of anything or places to look other than craigslist for rentals let me know :-)
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
There probably will be plenty of rentals available in your price range in East Nashville, but it's just one of those things that you get what you pay for. So the cheaper the house, the rougher the area will most likely be.

I casually know a few people that live in the Cleveland/McFerrin Park area & they do like it, but I personally haven't spent enough time over there to give a valid opinion.

I live on the South side of Shelby Ave. close to Shelby Park & Davidson Street, you could squeak in over here with $750 or less per month & I like this area a lot.

Best of luck!

Courtney

Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Hello there. Here is a link to a map of the neighborhoods - It doesn't include Inglewood (North and Northeast of Eastwood) but a lot of people consider that part of East Nashville as well.

http://www.east-nashville.com/neighborhoods

You will hear a lot of people on here say that you need to stay near the 5 Points area for the nicer areas (Lockeland Springs, East End) but that is entirely untrue. If you hear that they probably don't live over here and only occasionally visit the restaurants and bars in that area. I'm not really up on how much rents run usually but I will give you a short rundown of areas and places that are not mentioned as much as others (ones near 5 Points).

I like Eastwood (actually "Eastwood Neighbors") a whole lot. It's still walkable to 5 Points but your also near The Family Wash, Rosepper, Eastland Cafe, Ugly Muggs, Portland Brew, Coopers on Porter (new gastro-pub), and some other neat restaurants. They are located near the intersection on Eastland Ave and Porter Rd. In 5 1/2 short years I've seen the area go from being a little scary at night to a vibrant neighborhood filled with young families pushing their babies in strollers and taking their kids to the park.

But there are great areas in practically all areas of East Nashville but it can be street to street. I will say that I haven't seen a single area declining (I knew people who moved over here in the late 1990's). People are still investing in properties at a good pace even in this economy.

Inglewood might also be an option although it is not quite as walkable. Riverside Village is located there -

Riverside Village - Local Business | Facebook

One area of Inglewood proper that seems to be really booming is the area by Inglewood Kroger. Some streets in South Inglewood can be a little rough (I haven't ever had an issue). You just have to look for the general clues on the street to judge the neighbors (trashy yards, proximity of large apt complexes - these generally haven't caught up with the rest of East Nashville so I would steer clear). I hate to say it but it's usually a pretty good indicator. If the houses are well kept they either a. are occupied by the actual home owners, or b. renters who take good care of the house. These people are more likely to not put up with criminal activities near their homes.

Usually as a guide you will hear that the streets on the west side of Gallatin Rd (Cleveland Park, McFerrin Park) are more prone to petty crime. There is a really tight nit group over there that really stick together and are doing wonders for the area over there. There are also some pretty cool hangouts over there - Holland House, Mas Tacos.

Rolling Hills/Rosebank might also be an option. These neighborhoods consist of mostly ranch style houses. There are a few rough areas but not many (see earlier comment). Your also pretty close to Shelby Park here.

For info about the 5 Points area do a search for it on here. Anyway goodluck and I would join the East Nashville Google Groups. You can post on there and get more detailed info and get a feel for the crazy characters (good and bad, hah) that live over here.

http://groups.google.com/group/East-Nashville

Here is a link to some pics of the East Nashville/Inglewood from an earlier thread just in case you want to check it out -

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...-pictures.html

Other links to check out to get a feel for the neighborhood -

http://www.theeastsidestory.com/index.php (broken link)

http://eastnashvillebeerfest.com/

http://eastnashville.org/

http://tomatoartfest.com/

http://www.theeastnashvillian.com/

Last edited by yank283; 03-17-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
Wow!

Great post!

Courtney

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 15,303 times
wow thanks for all that info and pics! im going to look into it more and see what comes up. thanks again :-)

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 77,093 times
wow..thanks.. that's a lot of good information

so what areas would you guys say definitely stay away from??? we're a family of 5 looking to relocate from chicago area to nashville, me and my wife(mid 30s), 3-boys (7, 5, and 2)

hi courtney
thanks...wayne

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM

210 posts, read 587,720 times
geetars...
Are you wanting to move to East Nashville? Since you have school aged children are the schools a factor? Because while EN is a great fun place to live and it can be a great place for families to live the public schools in the area are...well...not really all that great So is private or homeschooling an option?
Most of the young families i know that started in EN moved out to the burbs when their kids reached school age and a few others went the private school route. Just something you might want to consider.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 PM

215 posts, read 681,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenntenn View Post
geetars...
Are you wanting to move to East Nashville? Since you have school aged children are the schools a factor? Because while EN is a great fun place to live and it can be a great place for families to live the public schools in the area are...well...not really all that great So is private or homeschooling an option?
Most of the young families i know that started in EN moved out to the burbs when their kids reached school age and a few others went the private school route. Just something you might want to consider.
If I might ask which suburbs did the families you knew from East Nashville happen to move to?

Last edited by goodman2; 03-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Needed To Change Something

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
I would love to buy a house in this area. What parts of the East Nashville area are there houses that were newer than 1970's? I want to avoid the asbestos on the heater pipes in the basement drill and in the floor tiles... BUT I don't want any cookie cutter treeless subdivisions -would like to be on a treed street sans HOA's surrounded by like minded ex-pat NYC writers...thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM

210 posts, read 587,720 times
12Buttons.
There is not going to be a certain place in EN where there are newer homes...i would say that you would be hard pressed to find a home that was build after 1970 over there and there are certainly not large chunks of the area with newer construction. EN is known for being a historic area...so new construction of any sort is very limited and highly regulated.
Pretty much the only homes over there that were built post 1970 are homes where the existing structure was torn down and a new homes was built. So the newer homes are going to be scattered throughout a number of the east nashville neighborhoods.
You will have better luck funding homes that were flipped. The ones that were done well were gutted down to the outside shell (to maintain historic character). There will be more of these remodels in the area than true newer construction.
And finding a while street of ex-pat NYC writers? HA! Ya not going to happen...just sayin'.

Goodman2
Well a majority of them moved to the Green Hills and Forrest Hills areas, with a few trickling down to Franklin and Brentwood, and also out to Mt. Juliet and Bellevue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville