Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22-year-old female singer-songwriter and recent college graduate living in central PA and planning on relocating to a city with a big music scene. I've been reading around the forums to get the insider perspective on the places that interest me. Nashville intrigues me, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good fit for me.

I am very serious about pursuing music as a career, and would love to be able to become a better songwriter, network, and play out. Country music isn't my forte, but I do write some country/folk music, and I'm aware that other kinds of music have a presence in Nashville, too. Is there room for relative beginners - new to the industry, no connections, little performance experience - to grow in the Nashville scene or is it hard for an outsider and relative newbie to start out in Nashville? (I'm not expecting overnight success, just a starting point from which to grow.)

Then there is the dreaded day job...I have a bachelor's degree in music that hasn't been particularly helpful in my job hunting so far. I've been feeling somewhat discouraged considering the reputation of the job market in some places (like Portland, OR). How easy is it to find entry level employment (retail, administrative assistant, etc.) and is it possible to live comfortably in Nashville on a typical entry level salary for 30-something hours a week (in an ideal life, I'd have a lot of time to focus on music)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump and spark View Post
I am very serious about pursuing music as a career, and would love to be able to become a better songwriter, network, and play out. Country music isn't my forte, but I do write some country/folk music, and I'm aware that other kinds of music have a presence in Nashville, too. Is there room for relative beginners - new to the industry, no connections, little performance experience - to grow in the Nashville scene or is it hard for an outsider and relative newbie to start out in Nashville? (I'm not expecting overnight success, just a starting point from which to grow.)
Obviously this city has a lot of musicians...some like you with no connections who just show up and give it a go. That said, having more experience would obviously be a plus. There are a ton of super-talented people here...people who were a big deal in their old town...now they come here and get lost in the pool of talent. Nevertheless, it can be done as long as you put in the hard work, network, and have a good head on your shoulders. It sounds like you at least have your expectations set appropriately.

Nashville has a lot of opportunities for musicians, though. I think just about everyone knows someone who is/was a musician or songwriter at some point in their history in this town.

Quote:
Then there is the dreaded day job...I have a bachelor's degree in music that hasn't been particularly helpful in my job hunting so far. I've been feeling somewhat discouraged considering the reputation of the job market in some places (like Portland, OR). How easy is it to find entry level employment (retail, administrative assistant, etc.) and is it possible to live comfortably in Nashville on a typical entry level salary for 30-something hours a week (in an ideal life, I'd have a lot of time to focus on music)?
The job market here is tough as it is everywhere. That said, you can probably find entry level work if you're not especially picky. And given the fact that you've got a BA in music, it can't hurt to try to apply with the numerous labels in town...even if its an administrative job or the mail room. It's not easy to get jobs at a label, but we have so many different facets of the music industry here that if you got started working a day job in the industry, it certainly couldn't hurt.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM

597 posts, read 2,109,069 times
Martina McBride sold t-shirts for Garth. Trisha Yearwood was a receptionist.

You fill in the blanks and ask how badly you want it. Then, it's all up to you.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

374 posts, read 693,467 times
One advantage to Nashville (compared to the coastal music scenes) is the relatively low-cost of housing. I know lots of 20-something musicians (alternative) that scrape by on very little because they house-share ($200-$250 per month each).

And on the topic of the dreaded day job . . . if the quality of your writing is any indication you shouldn't have a problem getting hired. There are many music-oriented businesses that serve the larger companies so your degree certainly can't hurt. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
The job market here is tough as it is everywhere. That said, you can probably find entry level work if you're not especially picky. And given the fact that you've got a BA in music, it can't hurt to try to apply with the numerous labels in town...even if its an administrative job or the mail room. It's not easy to get jobs at a label, but we have so many different facets of the music industry here that if you got started working a day job in the industry, it certainly couldn't hurt.
Thanks for the idea. I actually hadn't considered that possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Martina McBride sold t-shirts for Garth. Trisha Yearwood was a receptionist.

You fill in the blanks and ask how badly you want it. Then, it's all up to you.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
One advantage to Nashville (compared to the coastal music scenes) is the relatively low-cost of housing. I know lots of 20-something musicians (alternative) that scrape by on very little because they house-share ($200-$250 per month each).

And on the topic of the dreaded day job . . . if the quality of your writing is any indication you shouldn't have a problem getting hired. There are many music-oriented businesses that serve the larger companies so your degree certainly can't hurt. Good luck.
Yeah, I was looking at housing on Craigslist, and it seems reasonably-priced, especially compared to west coast cities. Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm definitely going to do a lot more research on the area and the industry, and hopefully, I'll be able to take a trip down there soon.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM

67 posts, read 202,744 times
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but jobs at the big and small labels in town are very hard to come across. Even in the mail room, they have an endless supply of free college interns.

I'm just point this out because everyone told me the same thing when I moved from PA to Nashville.

With that said, you can totally make it work. Yes, there is room for beginners. You just have to get some guts, attend the open mic nights, and network! There are other, non-music industry jobs to be had. You should be able to find something no problem.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryphena1 View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but jobs at the big and small labels in town are very hard to come across. Even in the mail room, they have an endless supply of free college interns.

I'm just point this out because everyone told me the same thing when I moved from PA to Nashville.

With that said, you can totally make it work. Yes, there is room for beginners. You just have to get some guts, attend the open mic nights, and network! There are other, non-music industry jobs to be had. You should be able to find something no problem.
Haha, I needed some dose of reality. I wasn't expecting such positive responses in this thread, anyway. I was under the impression that Nashville was a cut-throat place, musically.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump and spark View Post
I'm a 22-year-old female singer-songwriter and recent college graduate living in central PA and planning on relocating to a city with a big music scene. I've been reading around the forums to get the insider perspective on the places that interest me. Nashville intrigues me, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good fit for me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
how do you feel about ramen?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 11,065 times
ok i've been there and i im from upstate NY, i can say its going to slightly be that cut-throat confrontation when you're dealing with the successful people who can help make you successful...the country music kings. i know what you mean, i actually hate most country but especially cheesy 3 note songs in mainstream music of today and pretty much since the 90s. but nashville has not only history, but this metro-ethnic versatility every city should have. yeah the MOST successful people there are country stars who treat and tread the ground music city as their mecca...their tribute to its reputation. however, there is a reason to learn the business there. for instance, im a member of the nashville songwriters, the NSAI and they have a great facility and weekly meetings with friendly people that can show you the differences and significance of music row and broadway/2nd street. I couldnt get in the city when i was in TN, which was all around much different than NY. i was living just outside of it, developing a home studio (also not a bad idea). but i met all these non-country music prodigies along the way, people that inspired me to come back when my funds allow it and pursue a degree at MTSU, one of the many music industry incubators outside of nashville. the money is always a problem, but these guys are right, if your intentions are clear and your willing to work towards it, nashville will work for you. i met some incredible people and saw some incredible shows in nashville, the city pumps out energy like you dont know in PA. im happy i went there but i had too many "just-out-of-high school" distractions when i made my first attempt. i wanted to feel liberated and uphold my responsibility at the same time. NAshville offers a way of life and a way to succeed all in one package, if you cant be the best thing there...do what im going to do and use it as yoru stepping stone. its cheap, fun, and worth a shot considering where you live. do you want to live in a crowded crap hole like NYC or LA? and the time it takes to get home and back, yoru far from family, the weather is iffy, the cost of living is too high...get noticed then go corporate. Maybe LA or NYC have a thing for us at some point in our careers, but not right now. nashville is a well rounded enjoyable and educational opportunity for someone like you or me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville