Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 15,967 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking to move to tennessee next year from Arkansas and was wondering if anyone could help. My wife and I really like music, and also like taking the kids (6 & 5) to different things like monster truck, motorcross, shows, fairs....etc so we thought nashville would be a good choice. The other side to this is that we don't like big towns. We would like to find a smaller town about 60min or so away if anyone has any recommendations. Some of the criteria is that we need affordable housing (no more than $100,000), low crime, and decent schools and we prefer mountains/hills more than flat land.

Is there any place else that you might recommed instead of Nashville? Memphis is way out of the question. Knoxville? Chattanooga? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
I'm not the best one to answer, but it seems like your choices would be very wide. If you think of Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga as a triangle of sorts and put your sites inside that, you'll find lots of good towns within easy drive to all three, plus enjoying the benefits of areas in and around the Cumberland Plateau. Beautiful areas. Start with Cookeville and work from there.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
I was going to say Cookeville. It's about an hour east of Nashville and 1.5 from Knoxville. Generally speaking, East TN is where the mountains/hills are. Perhaps Harriman/Rockwood/Watts Bar area, 45 mins west of Knoxville.
Like IngleDave said, look in the triangle. The drive from Nashville to Chattanooga is just breathtaking. Towns among those are Monteagle, Jasper, and Haletown.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Since good schools are important to the OP, the previous posters' recommendations of Cookeville are spot on. Very few counties in rural Tennessee have good schools.

Another possibility is Tullahoma which is between Nashville and Chattanooga.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 15,967 times
Default Cookeville

I have actually looked at Cookeville. Cookeville is larger (more people) than where I am now which is ok, the only thing I saw about cookeville was it has a lot higher crime index than the national average (426? vs 319?). Is it really as bad as it appears? Thanks for all the responses so far. It is very much appreciated. Keep them coming!!

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
I wouldn't put too much stock in those crime index numbers. I've seen some pretty rough cities that manage to pull off scores in the 200's and 300's, while some towns I would consider to be very safe are much higher.

A lot of it has to do with reporting integrity, which varies quite a bit from place to place. Also, those numbers are based off the city population only, which can make things look worse than they really are in places like Cookeville which only has 25K people or so within the city limits, but probably 100K or more in the surrounding area.

Cookeville is a very safe city.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
I think you might like Portland, TN in Sumner County. It's about 45 minutes north of Nashville near the KY border and about 2 hours south of Louisville. It has a very small town feel with an old drive in theatre and an annual Strawberry festival. The Sumner School system is regarded as one of the best in the state. An added perk is that you can do your grocery shopping across the border in Franklin, KY tax free, lol.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcguy View Post
Hi all, I am looking to move to tennessee next year from Arkansas and was wondering if anyone could help. My wife and I really like music, and also like taking the kids (6 & 5) to different things like monster truck, motorcross, shows, fairs....etc so we thought nashville would be a good choice. The other side to this is that we don't like big towns. We would like to find a smaller town about 60min or so away if anyone has any recommendations. Some of the criteria is that we need affordable housing (no more than $100,000), low crime, and decent schools and we prefer mountains/hills more than flat land.

Is there any place else that you might recommed instead of Nashville? Memphis is way out of the question. Knoxville? Chattanooga? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lascassas -the best of all possible worlds...you'll love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville