Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times

Advertisements

We need to know more about your likes/dislikes before we can even begin to suggest which city to choose from.

I went to DePaul for college, lived downtown, moved to the suburbs for 9 years, then moved to Nashville. I'd say I'm fairly qualified to give you an opinion, but you've got to give us some idea what you are looking for. Chicago and Nashville are pretty divergent on the "City" spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 PM

89 posts, read 172,635 times
I'm 42 African American woman looking to leave Kansas City, Mo, I have two daughters that are going to Colloge, would like to look at schools in Chicago & Nashville, I'm a hair stylist, in Chicago, I can double my income I don't know if Nashville is the same. Is it easy to meet people and make friends? I l like movies, restaurant, theaters etc....

Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
The advantage Nashville has is going to be cost of living, weather and scenery. Entrepreneurship, networking in almost any field is going to be better in Chicago due to resources and demographics.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
I'd try to visit each and then make your decision.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
I have family in both places, I grew up in Nashville, and have visited Chicago multiple times over the years. I've got family who moved from Tennessee to Chicago and vice versa.

What Nashville gives over Chicago is much better weather (and you wouldn't think it, but Chicago easily gets as hot during the summer as Nashville) and a much lower cost of living with a decent enough restaurant and activities offering, even if it has nowhere near the diversity of such offerings as Chicago.

IMO, THE biggest factor to consider in moving to Chicago is where you're going to live- because housing costs are generally high, and the Southside of Chicago is generally more affordable but is the worst when it comes to criminal activity. IMO if a person can only afford to live in the Southside, and especially if they have kids- move to Nashville instead. Putting your kids in that environment is not worth all the extra restaurants and nightlife in the world. I've got family there right now who grew up in Chicago (so are well familiar with all its amenities) and want to move to Nashville anyway, and it's for that reason. I've also got family who grew up there and did move to Nashville and couldn't stand the thought of moving back because of the winter cold. So bottom line, if you can afford to live somewhere other than Chicago's Southside and you don't mind cold winters (with fierce Lake Michigan wind, ie. The Windy City), Chicago is the place to be. Otherwise you'd be much happier in Nashville, of course assuming you would have a decent paying job. Can't say anything about the hairdresser job market in either place.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
You could make either city work. Nashville is going to be much closer to your current day to day life in Kansas City than Chicago. You will just have to visit both and see what you like better.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,787 times
Default Chicago to Nashville - Square Feet without a basement

Hello - My family will be relocating to the Nashville area this year and we are wondering how many square feet we need to be equivalent to our current home with a full basement. If we currently have a 2600-2800 sqft 4 bedroom home with a full basement in Chicago, how many square feet will we need without a basement in Nashville to have the same room for a family of 5 with storage? We are worried that a home with the same square footage in Nashville will be cramped without the extra play room and storage the basement provides. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bpuofi1; 01-07-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 AM

337 posts, read 448,864 times
Well......if it were me, I would take the 2600-2800 sq ft of non-basement living space (sounds like you do not know the square foot of your house?) then measure your basement, and add the 2 together.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 11,787 times
Our current home is smaller than 2600-2800 sqft but that is probably what we would be looking to buy in Chicago for our growing family.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:31 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
You might want to take your question to the real estate forum. I might be mistaken but I think how a footage is listed depends on the area of the country, as in is that usable basement space considered a part of the 2600 ft or not? My 'listed' 1000 ft of space in east TN did not include any basement space, even though I have another 600 ft of livable space there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville