Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
MLP206, Thank You SO MUCH for Your Encouragement!! (High 5) I had tried ASCAP, etc. here, but like I said the Music Industry Here has Changed. I called ASCAP who told me that they have SOME Events, but not as often or the way it used to be yrs. ago - meaning from my interpretation of the conversation Songwriting is Not Valued here anymore. Plus, I don't want to mention names, but there is someone who does give Songwriting Workshops in which I had a VERY BAD UNPROFESSIONAL experience w/. So, I really like to avoid the opportunity of working w/ her.

Nevertheless, Would you know of Anyone (reputable) who you could suggest me contacting??
Maybe, you might know Anyone Here in ASCAP or anywhere Here in NYC??!! Please let me know.
I'm also open to any contacts (if any) that you might have here in NYC as well (Of course, people in the Music Industry are gonna know or have connections in other parts of the country.
Consider going to MTSU and taking a few non matriculating classes - Murfreesboro is crawling with fantastic musicians! Lady Antebellum is an alum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
Hi,

I'm a songwriter in the NYC area and I recently recorded my first full studio CD in Nashville. I have to agree that the quality of writing and musicianship in Nashville is far superior to the vast majority that I've encountered in the NYC area (native born and bred). However, when it comes to songwriting, and lyric writing, I don't think you need to stress out about it so much and worry about metaphors. I write songs all the time and never concern myself with that at all, just be true to yourself and say what you feel. Writing a good song is all about making a connection with the listener, not crafting the most perfect prose/poetry.

There are some good resources in NYC for songwriting. I once took a songwriting class at NYU as part of their Continuing Education program that many in the class found very helpful. If you haven't already done that, it's a good opportunity to learn and more importantly, make connections with other writers and industry people. Gotham Writer's Workshop also offers songwriting workshops/classes. I hear those can also be helpful in learning new skills and networking.

However, if you're really concerned about lyric writing, I would suggest perhaps taking some poetry writing classes. I took several in college and they provide a good foundation. I would also read lots of books about the subject of lyric writing as information is always helpful.

All the best!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJamz View Post
Hi,

I'm a songwriter in the NYC area and I recently recorded my first full studio CD in Nashville. I have to agree that the quality of writing and musicianship in Nashville is far superior to the vast majority that I've encountered in the NYC area (native born and bred). However, when it comes to songwriting, and lyric writing, I don't think you need to stress out about it so much and worry about metaphors. I write songs all the time and never concern myself with that at all, just be true to yourself and say what you feel. Writing a good song is all about making a connection with the listener, not crafting the most perfect prose/poetry.

There are some good resources in NYC for songwriting. I once took a songwriting class at NYU as part of their Continuing Education program that many in the class found very helpful. If you haven't already done that, it's a good opportunity to learn and more importantly, make connections with other writers and industry people. Gotham Writer's Workshop also offers songwriting workshops/classes. I hear those can also be helpful in learning new skills and networking.

However, if you're really concerned about lyric writing, I would suggest perhaps taking some poetry writing classes. I took several in college and they provide a good foundation. I would also read lots of books about the subject of lyric writing as information is always helpful.

All the best!
Kewl info thanks......what type of songs do you write? how are you going to market your CD?
generally as a range, how much does it cost to produce a CD these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville