Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 40,033 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about these two properties and the area they're in? Germantown Place is at 310 Jefferson Street and Station Lofts is at 1507 Rosa L. Parks Blvd.

I'm relocating to Nashville in about a week and I'm mostly concerned with finding an affordable place that is safe (although what's considered safe is relative) and close to downtown, where I'll be working.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for apartments that are in safe areas and are less than $700/month, I'd love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforamanda View Post
Does anyone know anything about these two properties and the area they're in? Germantown Place is at 310 Jefferson Street and Station Lofts is at 1507 Rosa L. Parks Blvd.

I'm relocating to Nashville in about a week and I'm mostly concerned with finding an affordable place that is safe (although what's considered safe is relative) and close to downtown, where I'll be working.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for apartments that are in safe areas and are less than $700/month, I'd love to hear them!

I just moved to Germantown in December and absolutely love it here. So far, I've had no problems with crime but it is a neighborhood where you should be vigilant because it borders some high-crime areas. I would imagine I would feel even more secure in one of the condos. I see people coming out of them all the time walking dogs, jogging, etc. I think Germantown Place is a bit more desirable of a location close to the commercial heart of Germantown. You really can't beat the proximity to downtown without the headaches of living downtown (parking, traffic, etc). I frequently walk or bike from Germantown to Downtown via 4th or 5th avenue and have had no troubles. Good Luck in your search and feel free to message if you have other questions about the area!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Thank you both for your helpful comments!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 15,655 times
Hi guys,

I'm a soon-to-be a grad student at Vandy this fall. I'm trying to live near downtown as my ugrad institution is located in the middle of nowhere, and I also came across 310 Jefferson st (Germantown Place). My questions are,

1) what is the demography like in Germantown? are there grad students living in this area?
2) from google map street view, jefferson st seems pretty "empty" and a bit sketchy.. is this a concern at all?
3) I'm an asian female without a car; need to walk around the area a bit. again, is safety a concern?

I guess I don't quite get what germantown is like. Is it populated enough to live conveniently? I'm not expecting a big downtown scene here, just wondering if all the right stuff is in place (grocery store, pharmacy, boutique shops and whatnot)

Thank you all, and I am seriously looking forward to living in Nashville, in a better weather, in a better city and with incredibly kind people

Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Germantown is fairly well developed. There are several restaurants, a coffee house, an Italian Specialty grocer, some dessert/baked goods shops and a salon all within a few blocks. It's mostly young singles or childless couples although I am starting to see more kids. I don't know specifically that there are grad students living in this area.

The part of Jefferson that runs through Germantown is fine. There's a huge new condo project going up on one side and the Bicentennial Mall is on the other. Maybe the construction project is what makes it look empty.

I find Germantown to be pretty convenient. I do most of my shopping on the weekends at the Farmers Market and Int'l Foods Store (within wlking distance) and drive to the Turnip Truck in the gulch (5 minutes) for other things. It's an easy walk or very quick car ride to the "downtown scene" which offers some other shopping and dining choices. East Nashville is also only 5 minutes away. Big Box stores are a bit inconvenient. You'll have to drive at least 10-15 minutes for Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

My best advice is to come and drive through the neighborhood.

If Germantown doesn't suit you, I do know that a lot of grad students live in the area between I440 and Centennial Park off of West End. I think it's called West End Park. It seems to be much more expensive than Germantown but there are some deals to find.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
To keep sarahnyc's comment in perspective, I'd peruse her posting history and note her obvious obsession with race and belief that African Americans are uniformly "loud, aggressive and violent."

Not necessarily someone whose advice I'd heed re: city living.
Thanks for pointing this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suehlee View Post
3) I'm an asian female without a car; need to walk around the area a bit. again, is safety a concern?
I more or less fit this description as well! Single, half Asian female, although I do have a car. Good luck with your housing search!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 12,845 times
Hi All,

I have friends who live at Germantown Place and Station Lofts and they absoutely love the proximity to downtown and how incredibly affordable it is. They rave about how low their utilities are and the fact that they basically have brand new apartments at ridiculously low prices. I do remember they said you cannot be a full-time student as part of the program so hopefully you can find something really nice close-by. There is new development going on all over Germantown and rightfully so. Its really starting to become a new hotspot.

p.s Regarding sarahnyc's comment regarding project housing, where in any city isnt there project housing? Just curious

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 12,222 times
im a college student at fisk university, so i am aware of the environment surrounding these apartments. two of my friends and i are interested in the apartments there. i have a couple questions about the location:
1.) how big are the bedrooms for the three bedroom apartments
2.) what is there policy on college students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville