Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 28,137 times

Advertisements

(Hi, I'm new to the forum. First post.)

Not that the info is of much use now, but a McKay Used Books & CD's is coming to Nashville (Charlotte Ave./White Bridge Rd. area). This page of their web site gives the exact address:

Nashville (http://www.mckaybooks.com/nashville.htm - broken link)

Don't know much about them, but sounds like it would be a good place to find used books. I hope so, because my husband especially would be in little piggie heaven having a used bookstore so close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 09:26 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestNashMom View Post
(Hi, I'm new to the forum. First post.)

Not that the info is of much use now, but a McKay Used Books & CD's is coming to Nashville (Charlotte Ave./White Bridge Rd. area).
Welcome to the Nashville board, and thanks for posting that information. I wasn't aware of it.

From the address, it looks like it might be in the old Circuit City store location there on Charlotte. I've heard that the one in Knoxville is huge. If they're using the CC location, this one is probably going to be a large store too.

Your husband might not be the only one in piggy heaven. ;- 0 (Oh, great . . . more bookcases . . . my house looks like a library already.)

Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Alright! From what others have said about the McKays in Knoxville, this sounds great! Along with all the other shoppes suggested, I'll really be in piggie heaven. I need more bookcases now, and will definitely need more on the move, as I've already told Lou that I want a separate room just for my Library. That's always been a dream. The spare bedroom here isn't set up very well to be a combo Library/spare bedroom. And the other spare bedroom is taken up with the desk and file cabinets. Plus, I'd kinda like a 'hobby room', but that can be in a finished basement.

I've already slashed my book collection by selling and donating about 3000 books. That just makes room for more books to finish out collections, and to start new collections of new authors.

I'm on a discussion list that is primarily a book discussion list, but actually roams all over the place too, on all other subjects, and I've been introduced to many great new authors.

For fans of the movie '300', check into Steven Pressfield "Gates of Fire" - he also wrote "The Legend of Bagger Vance", and "Last of the Amazons".
Great author, very knowledgable, thorough in his research and very friendly to fans.

blessings, Shen

Last edited by Shenandoah; 08-05-2007 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: misspelled author's name

Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 28,137 times
Default McKay's on Charlotte Pike is open!

We went by there last night, and it is great! The hubby said he was going to have to pace himself. He was in little piggie heaven. He found three paperbacks he wanted including some Tolkien book he hadn't read. Prices are really good. For instance, one paperback (I think it was some Poul Anderson SF novel) was dated early 1970s, and the McKay's price was the original cover price of $1.75.

I mostly stuck to the dvd/video section and didn't even skim the surface of that really, but left with a few things from that section also. Three paperbacks, three videos, three dvds (vids/dvds include children's), was $31 and change with tax.

It's in the old Circuit City building, across from the Kroger. There's Papa John's Pizza, and then sort of further back on that same side is O'Reilly Auto Parts, and McKay's is next to it. Big place. Last night they told us they had opened four days ago.

Oh, and a heads up ... they don't have their own store bags and were asking people at checkout to bring theirs next time, so this would be a good way to recycle your bags. If going there, take some for your personal shopping, and if you have extras, consider taking some to store. We plan to on our next visit. Good way to recycle them.

Last edited by WestNashMom; 09-18-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: I'm a goof and left out a word in a sentence.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
I'll have to drop in, although my house already looks like a library.

By the way, if anyone else is in this fix and needs bookcases, there's a dealer named Blue Hen that sells some great (solid wood) bookcase at a good price.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,205 times
Smile Ubs

Don't get me wrong...I do love & use used book stores occasionally (I love the Book Attic!!), but I get most of my books from trading on PaperBackSwap : Your source for swapping books online! and FrugalReader. It's much cheaper & I don't have to leave the house - in fact, I do it while in my pj's!!! LOL Please check it out - maybe it will help you to get lots more books like it did me. If you join, please use my referral: marge.tsc @ comcast.net. Thanks also for the Blue Hen referral. Since I have increased my library by over a thousand books in the last year that I've been trading, I need so many more bookshelves. I'll definitely check the place out!! McKay's may be a great UBS & I look forward to seeing for myself, but I'll have to get dressed to go there! LOL

Thanks,
Marge

Last edited by IceQueenTN; 10-15-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to say something

Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM

13 posts, read 61,463 times
Shoppe?!? Are you serious?!? Shoppe?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Do they have a website?

blessings, Shen
I could not find a website, but at least this has the address-
MS B's Used Books & Cd's - Hendersonville, TN, 37075 - Citysearch

Diane

Old 10-21-2007, 09:44 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
There is a new store in Inglewood called Backs & Tracks. Its at the corner of McGavock and Riverside Drive.

They sell books, CDs, LPs, etc. They also buy them if you're interested.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 PM

32 posts, read 133,441 times
I've started to buy more of my secondhand books from online retailers, but I really like Mega Used Booksore over on 8th Ave. Mega Used Books

Bookman/Bookwoman is good too, but I find it a little hard to find anything in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville