Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,078 times

Advertisements

...Particularly looking at McClurken Ave. Also wondering if anyone has to commute to Brentwood from that area. What am I looking at with rush hour traffic? Anyone know anything about schools personally? Looks like it's zoned for Hattie Cotton elementary, Gra-Mar middle, and Maplewood Comp High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Unfortunately, the schools are some of the lowest rated in Nashville. At Hattie Cotton, which will become a magnet school next year, 95% of kids are on free or reduced lunch, which is an indicator of the poverty level of the general student population.
Maplewood's consistently known for gang-related incidents and had more than 400 students suspended in 2010.
I would try another neighborhood.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM

126 posts, read 326,850 times
I actually live and work in East Nashville and South Inglewood is safe for families..I can't comment on schools because I am a Realtor even though I try not to promote myself on this forum. I mention this only because I relocate folks to South Inglewood all the time with families. Now, if schools are a main concern for you then you do want to do research and I say this as a parent myself. One thing I will say is that there are options and I will agree that they are not great in Nashville. But the previous poster is sorta implying that kids on free lunches are indicative of the Schools performance which is not always the case. My son goes to Lockeland Design Center in East Nashville and is a high performing Elementary Magnent school but it also has its own issues.

If you are wanting to move to East Nashville and are budget minded and schools are important, I would look at schools in the Stratford HS cluster. Meaning zoned for Stratford. East Nashville has some great neighborhoods and Inglewood happens to be one of them.

Best of luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the input. I know there have been a lot of questions on this forum about Inglewood previously, but it's just so hard to tell from street to street which areas are best unless you ask the people who know it best, the ones that live there.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
But the previous poster is sorta implying that kids on free lunches are indicative of the Schools performance which is not always the case.
I never said anything about the school's performance. I said it was low-rated, which it is. For specifics, Cotton Elementary students received all Fs on the TCAP.

Tennessee Department of Education - Report Card - Achievement

I then separately pointed out the poverty factor as an indicator of the school's population, which is who the OP's kids would be going to school with daily. If the OP feels like that is a good fit for them, great.

Your conclusions are your own.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 PM

150 posts, read 619,644 times
Default Schools in Inglewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh3z View Post
...Particularly looking at McClurken Ave. Also wondering if anyone has to commute to Brentwood from that area. What am I looking at with rush hour traffic? Anyone know anything about schools personally? Looks like it's zoned for Hattie Cotton elementary, Gra-Mar middle, and Maplewood Comp High.
I don't live in Inglewood, but Dan Mills Elementary offers open enrollment (meaning you don't have to be zoned for the school to apply for enrollment) and my son goes to school there. I absolutely love it and my 1st grade son is thriving there. It would be a short (5-7 minutes) commute from McClurkan to get to Dan Mills.

On the subject of safety, you might want to visit at different times and drive nearby streets as well. Brasher Street, which is nearby, has had some problems with multiple drug houses in the past (which may be resolved, as it has been several years since I heard anything about it). The neighborhood you are looking at around NADC (the Nashville Auto Diesel College) is considered the Renraw Community. It is my understanding that this neighborhood group is not meeting regularly right now, but I think they still get together now and then.

Personally, I wouldn't want to commute to Brentwood from East Nashville/Inglewood, but I don't tolerate commutes over 15 minutes very well. Your biggest hurdle would be getting through the snarl of rush hour commuters to downtown, as once you got past that onto I-65, you would be headed opposite most commuters and would be able to move at a pretty reasonable pace. I would *guess* you would be looking at something like a 20-5 minute commute. Perhaps, longer on bad days and depending on how far from the interstate you are headed into Brentwood.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks, good info. I will check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: