Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 990 times

Advertisements

Hi we are a group of six ladies in our 40s that have never been to Nashville. We are staying at downtown hotel and looking for some suggestions daytime and evening activities and restaurants both touristy and local flavor. We will have a car. (June 23-26)

We couldn't get reservations on the Trash-Nash tour as it was sold out. Betwer the six of us we have a wide range if interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
For touristy, although cliche, you should definitely take a stroll down Lower Broad (from 5th Ave to 2nd Ave) and the District (2nd Ave from Broad to Church). Touristy bars/clubs/honkytonks. If you're a live music fan (country or not), but you should definitely put this on your list.

Also downtown, check out the Country Music Hall of Fame. Even if you aren't a Country Music lover, I would say it would be an enjoyable visit.

Downtown, there are also a number of historic buildings, if you are interested in architecture. Check out the Nashville Pictures thread if you are interested...circa page 11.

For non-downtown things...there are numerous opportunities in the area.

Since you have a car, I would definitely not discourage you from taking the 1.5 hour drive to Lynchburg to visit the Jack Daniels Distillery. It's a fascinating (and free) tour, and if you don't find that interesting, at the very least, the drive and the scenery in the area (especially Monteagle Mountain to the SE) is worth the trip.

Downtown Franklin is worth a look, especially if you will be around for 4 days. Franklin is about 20 miles south of Nashville, off I-65. Downtown Franklin is a cute little historic district that is surprisingly preserved and lively for a city its size. While the main Franklin commercial district is full of chains, big box stores, and new, clean looks....downtown offers a bit of the unique, with a number of local shops (along with a few chains) and definitely a bit of character. There are some pretty good restaurants here (my suggestion for something reasonably priced and quite casual would be Franklin Mercantile on the west side of 4th).

There are a few Civil War sites of interest, mainly in Franklin (just south of downtown) and Murfreesboro (a National Battlefield) just north of downtown. There is also a partially restored fort overlooking downtown Nashville (Fort Negley, off of Chestnut Street, south of downtown). Personally, I would consider visiting the Civil War sites as a side trip to whatever else you are doing that day.

Relating to history, the Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson can be found about 10 miles east of downtown. It's one of the more visited presidential homes...and worth a visit if you're in to history.

For the arts, the two main places to go are Cheekwood Botanical Gardens and art museum in Belle Meade (also...just look around at the fabulous mansions while you're in that area), and the Frist Center for the Visual Arts downtown. There are a number of other places...but those would be the main "big" art attractions. The Parthenon (a full size replica of the ancient temple in Athens) has a small art gallery inside, but is really more worth it just to see as a site.

Speaking of parks...if you get tired of the city, and don't want to travel "way out into the country," take a stroll around Radnor Lake State Natural Area. The 1,200+ acre park sits just 5 miles south of downtown Nashville, but you would never be able to tell, considering the amazing diversity of wildlife in this urban oasis.

There are a number of other parks I can fill you in on if you are interested...but I would probably be more interested in exploring the city if I were you. There is a lot to look at, depending on your interests. Don't be afraid to ask a more complicated or in depth question....trust me...someone here will have an idea.

Finally...on to dining. While Nashville doesn't have the reputation as a foodie town...well...the critics are all f-ing liars. There are a plethora of good, fun, cool, hip, upscale, traditional, and interesting places to dine. I would suggest visiting Urbanspoon to get an idea of what there is in which area....

My personal picks would be Germantown, Allium, Midtown Cafe, Sunset Grille, Park Cafe, Rumours East, Monell's for a few "upscale" places (not fancy, but great food)...the Loveless Cafe, and Puckett's for a more moderately priced good time. Mafiozas or Joey's for a good pizza or "New York" Italian...Provence, Bread & Co., or Marche Artisan Foods for good lunch-type sandwich places (moderate priced). Rotier's for a good greasy burger (truly, nothing else is better)....it's a dive, but not "seedy." Fido and Pancake Pantry are excellent suggestions for breakfast....Pancake Pantry is a bit crowded at times....so Fido (same block) might be a better suggestion...plus they have great (local) coffee from Bongo Java.

Tons of other great places...those are just my current picks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville