U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,640 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Nashville soon and I have a 7 year old child. I really like the feel of East Nashville (5 points area). I can not find a good school for my child to attend in the area. I have looked into Lockeland, they are not accepting anymore kids for the 11-12 year. East Academy is closed, and the other schools have not gotten very good ratings. Am I looking over a great school? Any advice? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

215 posts, read 647,641 times
If you don't mind traveling to Madison there's Goodpasture.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,640 times
Thank you! Do you know the school personally? Or know someone who had a great experience with this school?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 5,049,921 times
Good Pasture is a private school.
If you are willing to take a chance, get yourself on the waitlist and go to your zoned school next year. I don't have any experience with metro, but we decided to send my daughter to school after the lottery deadline in our old town. She ended up getting sent to what was considered the roughest elementary school. Outside the school was rough, but she had the most amazing kindergarten teacher. The next year 1st grade she got into the highly desirable school off the waitlist.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM

933 posts, read 2,582,058 times
Try Dan Mills in Inglewood. It usually gets good ratings and has a good reputation (at least what I have heard). Anyway good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM

126 posts, read 306,384 times
I live in East Nashville. My son attends Lockeland. It is a Magnet school. You have to apply via a lottery. You have to live in the priority zone. I have friends with children at Dan Mills who love it. You will need to live in Inglewood and be zoned for that school though as there are other Elementary schools in Inglewood..best of luck..

Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
i am thinking of moving to east nashville also and have a son going into 2nd grade - ukgirl 25 did you move and find a school you were happy with?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,228,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjones View Post
i am thinking of moving to east nashville also and have a son going into 2nd grade - ukgirl 25 did you move and find a school you were happy with?
According to her profile she is in Madison.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM

933 posts, read 2,582,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjones View Post
Lockland Springs Design is one of the highest rated elementary schools in Davidson Co. My wife is in the East Nashville Moms Club (which is very active and growing everyday) and the mom's with kids enrolled love it. Ours is too little right now. I've heard good things about Dan Mills in Inglewood also but know less about it. Any others I would definitely check into first and might be a bit weary about. Hope it helps and good luck on the move.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM

29 posts, read 34,027 times
Default been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Good Pasture is a private school.
If you are willing to take a chance, get yourself on the waitlist and go to your zoned school next year. I don't have any experience with metro, but we decided to send my daughter to school after the lottery deadline in our old town. She ended up getting sent to what was considered the roughest elementary school. Outside the school was rough, but she had the most amazing kindergarten teacher. The next year 1st grade she got into the highly desirable school off the waitlist.

It's Goodpasture, named for B.C. Goodpasture. I graduated from there and started going to school there in 6th grade. It's a Christian private school and they do require Bible classes once you get into the high school years. However, I was in the school chorus and did not have to take a Bible class since we had a devotional once a week. There is a wait list and, although I don't know if they do it anymore, I had to take an entrance exam. I'm guessing it was to make sure I was going into the correct grade level because the school system I moved from in FL was almost a full year ahead of any school system here in TN at the time. My exprience there was mostly positive and most of the classes I took in my Senior year were collegiate classes (although not for college credit). There are other private schools and magnet schools who seemed to have better curriculum at the time I was in school, but I have no clue if that's still true now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville