Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 PM

131 posts, read 648,261 times

Advertisements

Is gang activity a problem in the Nashville metro area? Are outlying areas been impacted by these bands of ROVING SCUM (for lack of a better description)?
Has this detracted from the appeal of the area? What are the cops doing about it? Are people in the area raising hell about it? Your comments are welcome. Oh, I am inquiring about this because I am giving some thought to moving to the Nashville area to START OVER because there is nothing for me here after falling on my backside time and time again due to one setback after another-I reside in Indianapolis, and pardon the digression. Thank you one and all and I welcome your replies and feedback

Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Hi, welcome to TN!
Yes, there are gangs here which reside mostly in the Southern, Eastern area of Nashville, but the police dept. is working HARD to allieviate alot of the mess that inhabits this city, even though they are extremely short staffed. Just yesterday it was reported on the news that Nashville police are deporting approx. 1000 illegals who have committed crimes here. Now, that is small when you compare it with the US illegal immigration problem, but these guys on the PD mean business! So, you will experience gang activity here, but know that it isn't all over the place like L.A. or Chicago.

Nashville is great and the police, fire depts. are top notch in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

131 posts, read 648,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Hi, welcome to TN!
Yes, there are gangs here which reside mostly in the Southern, Eastern area of Nashville, but the police dept. is working HARD to allieviate alot of the mess that inhabits this city, even though they are extremely short staffed. Just yesterday it was reported on the news that Nashville police are deporting approx. 1000 illegals who have committed crimes here. Now, that is small when you compare it with the US illegal immigration problem, but these guys on the PD mean business! So, you will experience gang activity here, but know that it isn't all over the place like L.A. or Chicago.

Many thanks for your reply. I have not made a decision yet about moving down there, but I am not ruling it out. Have a good one!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM

23 posts, read 79,982 times
Hello.

I'm very interested in the crime rate in and around Nashville. I've seen the reports online but it's always different coming from a human. :-)

I grew up in New York and lived in Las Vegas for 14 years, now a suburb of Philly. I want to make sure that I raise my children in a place where we won't be scared day in and day out, but I also don't want to raise them in a bubble. I'd like to be able to show them that you get in trouble for doing things wrong and breaking the law and if they do, they do get in trouble for it.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times
Smile Thank You For Thinking about Nashville!

Nashville is a great city! I have lived here for all of my life and I love it. I enjoy Nashville's distinct culture as being "Music City." The music industry is our main focus here in Nashville, as you probably already know. Nashville has that laid-back southern hospitality feel that you don't get in many southern cities these days. It feels good to sit and relax here and we don't have a very big problem with crime here. Since music is our main industry here you will be able to enjoy many types of music, especially country. The weather is pretty good here as well, but lately we have been having a drought, which has made the cities grass very dry, but that is not much of an issue. Nashville is a very welcoming large city and prices here are not expensive and outrageous like most large cities such as Chicago and L.A. You will love Nashville if you decide to move here. Good luck buddy!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:15 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Hi, welcome to TN!

Yes, Sherrif Daron Hall has been quite sucessful so far with the illegals.

Truman's Take: Sheriff Daron Hall "quietly" preaching the successes of 287(g)

Early 287(g) stats get attention of dozens of TN sheriffs

Davidson County Sheriff Daron Hall may have started a trend across Tennessee with his program to identify and deport illegal immigrants booked into the Metro jail.

In just two months, the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office has identified a total of 605 foreign born nationals in the country illegally and readied them for deportation through the use of a federal database sharing program known as 287(g).

And the rapid pace of the program — which in its first 60 days has identified as illegal 75 percent of the total number of foreigners booked into the Metro jail, and that has already marked for deportation 1.4 percent of Nashville’s total estimated illegal immigrant population — has led law enforcement officials in more than a dozen counties across the state to inquire about bringing the 287(g) program into their own back yards.

“We’ve had at least 15 sheriff’s offices contact us and ask us in detail about what the program is all about,” Davidson County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Karla Crocker said Thursday.

The “dozens” of total inquiries have ranged from informal phone calls from curious sheriffs in small counties to in-depth and on-going dialogues with the sheriffs and staffs of larger, and many adjacent, counties, Crocker said.

At the same time, Crocker explained that — in accordance with Sheriff Daron Hall’s promise that he would not use the immigration enforcement program to run background checks on inmates from any other Tennessee county or jurisdiction — their office is not serving as an advocate for 287(g).

“We’ve met twice with the Tennessee Sheriff’s Association in an effort to put the information out there to the sheriffs,” Crocker said. “But we are not going to meddle in other sheriffs’ business. It has been up to the ones that are interested in it to contact us.”

But many have done just that, Crocker said.

The sheriffs that have expressed the most interest are those that work in the closest proximity to Davidson County, according to Sheriff’s Office officials in Nashville.

“We have been contacted by every surrounding county at one point or another,” Crocker said. “The discussions with Williamson and Wilson counties have been pretty in depth.”

And today Hall and his staff are scheduled to meet personally with Bedford County Sheriff Randall Boyce to discuss the practicality and possibility of implementing such a federal database-sharing program in Shelbyville.

Crocker said the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office is merely serving as a resource for raw information about the program, some of its basic requirements and the experience the office has had in implementing it — not a conduit for strategic advice or technical assistance.

For that and other reasons, while interest in the program may be high across the state, the realistic chances of the near-statewide implementation of 287(g) programs on a county-by-county basis are low, at least in the near term, local, as well as federal officials have explained.

Counties with small sheriff staffs will not only have a hard time adjusting their resources accordingly, but will also face an uphill battle convincing the federal government that those counties are worth investing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and training into, officials explained.

Similarly, counties with large populations but with smaller percentages of immigrants might not get the full attention of the federal government, whose will is dictated by political capitol as much as anything else, one federal official familiar with 287(g) explained.

One such county may be Shelby County, the largest of Tennessee’s 95 counties.

With nearly a million residents, Shelby County is almost twice the size of Davidson County. But Shelby County’s estimated population of illegal immigrants is only 3.6 percent of its total population, according to the 2005 U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. Davidson County’s illegal immigrant population is estimated to be 7.7 of its total population of roughly 550,000.

Crocker confirmed that Shelby County Sheriff Mark Luttrell and his staff have traveled to Nashville to discuss 287(g) with Hall.

Shelby County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Steve Shuler said they are still in the process of deciding whether to pursue 287(g).

“We have not yet decided if we’re going to apply for the [287(g)] computer program,” Shuler said. “We’re currently doing an assessment of our inmate population right now, and if the assessment totals indicate that there might be an opportunity for us to seek this equipment from the ICE people then we will do so.”

Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
I go to music industry events, usually at night, in many different clubs in Nashville. I try and use common sense when leaving at night, going out to my car, etc., but I've got to tell you- gangs are just NOT on my radar. I don't see it, don't hear about it, don't worry about it.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,217 times
The only complaints I have is that the 'country cooking' or 'home cooking' restaurants are not on a par with those in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama. If you like "meat and 3s" (as they are called here), there's really only 2 restaurants that do country cooking justice: The Loveless Cafe, which is way out in the boondocks by Franklin, and Sweatt's which is located in North Nashville at the Farmers' Market and another stand-alone building near Tennessee State University. Both are overpriced, in my opinion. Meat and 3 and a beverage at Sweatt's will cost you around $12.00. Others posting may disagree with me, or maybe contribute the names of some "Meat and 3s" I haven't tried yet.
The other complaints? Our highway infrastructure is not keeping pace with Nashville's growth, and it's beginning to remind me of Atlanta: rush hour starts at 2 pm, and snarls aplenty, usually in I40 and I440. The road quality on I 65 southbound north of town is pretty rough, too.
And, even tho our police dept. IS high quality, because they are short staffed, their response time is unacceptable (to me) for minor fender benders. I recently had to wait 1 hour and 20 minutes to get an officer to come write up the minor accident I was involved in.
As far as gangs, I would like to add the suburb of Madison to the gang-infested list. Also, think twice about where you move in Antioch. Both of these areas have been on a downward spiral since I got here 5 years.
We have a world-class symphony and Chamber Orchestra groups, and great museums and venues for visual and performance, great parks, a killer 4th of July fireworks show, and a big flea market every month. No dearth of interesting and fun things to do.
As a Metro school teacher, I can tell you that our schools are in transition; as an urban system OF COURSE we serve lots of kids who are on "free and reduced lunches" (the politically correct way of classifying kids in poverty). There are some substandard-performing schools, but a lot more are making progress in NCLB enough to be taken off alert lists.
Sorry for the long post, but some of this information you may be able to use.
M Wilson

Old 08-12-2007, 03:54 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena1221 View Post
The only complaints I have is that the 'country cooking' or 'home cooking' restaurants are not on a par with those in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama. If you like "meat and 3s" (as they are called here), there's really only 2 restaurants that do country cooking justice: The Loveless Cafe, which is way out in the boondocks by Franklin, and Sweatt's which is located in North Nashville at the Farmers' Market and another stand-alone building near Tennessee State University.
A slight correction. The Loveless isn't in Franklin. It's off of Highway 100 between Bellevue and Fairview (and I didn't know it was such a boondocks . . . I live about two miles towards Bellevue from there).

Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena1221 View Post
The only complaints I have is that the 'country cooking' or 'home cooking' restaurants are not on a par with those in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama. If you like "meat and 3s" (as they are called here), there's really only 2 restaurants that do country cooking justice: The Loveless Cafe, which is way out in the boondocks by Franklin, and Sweatt's which is located in North Nashville at the Farmers' Market and another stand-alone building near Tennessee State University. Both are overpriced, in my opinion. Meat and 3 and a beverage at Sweatt's will cost you around $12.00. Others posting may disagree with me, or maybe contribute the names of some "Meat and 3s" I haven't tried yet.
The other complaints? Our highway infrastructure is not keeping pace with Nashville's growth, and it's beginning to remind me of Atlanta: rush hour starts at 2 pm, and snarls aplenty, usually in I40 and I440. The road quality on I 65 southbound north of town is pretty rough, too.
And, even tho our police dept. IS high quality, because they are short staffed, their response time is unacceptable (to me) for minor fender benders. I recently had to wait 1 hour and 20 minutes to get an officer to come write up the minor accident I was involved in.
As far as gangs, I would like to add the suburb of Madison to the gang-infested list. Also, think twice about where you move in Antioch. Both of these areas have been on a downward spiral since I got here 5 years.
We have a world-class symphony and Chamber Orchestra groups, and great museums and venues for visual and performance, great parks, a killer 4th of July fireworks show, and a big flea market every month. No dearth of interesting and fun things to do.
As a Metro school teacher, I can tell you that our schools are in transition; as an urban system OF COURSE we serve lots of kids who are on "free and reduced lunches" (the politically correct way of classifying kids in poverty). There are some substandard-performing schools, but a lot more are making progress in NCLB enough to be taken off alert lists.
Sorry for the long post, but some of this information you may be able to use.
M Wilson
First-Meat and Three's-Looks like more than 2 to me.
Tennessee Meat and Three Cafes Restaurants and Diners

Loveless is on Highway 100, Nashville. It's not in Franklin. It is not out in the middle of nowhere, and the senic Natchez State Parkway is right by that has a fall scene not to be missed.It's Breathless!
You can also ride the Old trace and see a historic Tobacco Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville