Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,419 times

Advertisements

My fiance was recently located to Nashville from Chattanooga. Since his job takes him all over the state he is somewhat familiar with different areas. North of Nashville seems to be where we'd like to go and a 30-45 minute commute to work (La Vergne) would be fine. We would like to purchase 3-5 acres to build a log home. We'd like that rural small town feel. A super walmart is really all I need. I am currently in NY and will join him there when my daughter is off to college next year. I have a 14 yr old son who will relocate with me. He is learning disabled and needs special ed. He has a severe speech delay and language disorder but no social issues such as ADD and is not on the autism spectrum. He will be in High School by that time and school is a priority. I've heard Sumner and Williamson counties have great schools. Ashland City is a place I'd like to look into too so Cheatam County is also an option. I can do a great amount of research on the internet but the best information comes from people who live there. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. I'm there at least once of month and have time to visit and see the different places. We will start talking with builders this summer and would like to narrow down areas as soon as possible. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

228 posts, read 526,939 times
While I’ve always been a fan of Robertson County for rural land choices (and surprisingly convenient access to Nashville), the public school systems of Sumner and Williamson counties are much more acclaimed. Given your specific interest for your son’s needs, I’d really want you to talk with the schools directly too; in addition to those parents that have children in the program. A client of mine is a great resource for speech therapy in Williamson County Schools, but is currently unavailable due to a family loss. I’ve put a message into a friend in the special education department as well. How soon is your next visit?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,131,783 times
You need to find some parents within districts to talk to. Even though your son is not on the autism spectrum or Down Syndrome, you might find parents in support groups who can connect you with parents of students similar to your son who are receiving supports in special education. I suspect special education services are quite different in Middle TN from what you know in NY.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Default Same issues

We are also looking to relocate to the Nashville area, but not quite as soon. We have a 11 year old daughter who has cerebral palsey and is severly multiply impaired. If you find any good resources in the Nashville area, can you please keep us in mind and pass us a message.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,829,216 times
Sumner and Williamson are probably your best bets. I would highly recommend calling individual systems and finding out their policies and even arranging a visit. With so many new people pouring in each year the schools are pretty used to parents wanting visits and additional info.

I will add, however, that commuting to LaVergne from Sumner, Williamson, or Cheatham counties will be a challenge.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin south of Nashville View Post
While I’ve always been a fan of Robertson County for rural land choices (and surprisingly convenient access to Nashville), the public school systems of Sumner and Williamson counties are much more acclaimed. Given your specific interest for your son’s needs, I’d really want you to talk with the schools directly too; in addition to those parents that have children in the program. A client of mine is a great resource for speech therapy in Williamson County Schools, but is currently unavailable due to a family loss. I’ve put a message into a friend in the special education department as well. How soon is your next visit?

I will definitely with speak with the school districts & their special education department along with any parents that I can find. I was hoping for answers like yours that will put me in touch with someone personally. It's a starting point for me and I'm just trying to narrow down the areas. I truly do appreicate that and will send you a message with my personal email so that they can contact me directly at their convience. I will be back in Nashville this weekend and at least 3 more times this summer. If things go as planned I'd be there for him to start school in Aug/Sept of 2012. Thank you!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
You need to find some parents within districts to talk to. Even though your son is not on the autism spectrum or Down Syndrome, you might find parents in support groups who can connect you with parents of students similar to your son who are receiving supports in special education. I suspect special education services are quite different in Middle TN from what you know in NY.

Yes I absolutely do need to talk directly with districts and parents regardless of what their child's needs are. They will be a great source of information. My son has been in the system here for 11 years and we'd all be lost without each other. I was just hoping to connect with anyone on here that is in that situtation or knows someone that would help me get in touch with them. Yes I know that services will be different from NY. We are blessed to have what we have here but being a divorced single mom I am barely surviving. I'm trying to hold on long enough for my daughter to graduate high school. My fiance has a great job there and cannot relocate. We grew up together in the north and both love TN. We can live a comfortable life there.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Sumner and Williamson are probably your best bets. I would highly recommend calling individual systems and finding out their policies and even arranging a visit. With so many new people pouring in each year the schools are pretty used to parents wanting visits and additional info.

I will add, however, that commuting to LaVergne from Sumner, Williamson, or Cheatham counties will be a challenge.

It seems that Sumner & Williamson will def be the areas I concetrate on. I will find out the district policies and also the state laws/requirements for a high school diploma for children with special needs. I do agree that a visit is a must. I'm just trying to narrow my search and hopefully connect with any parents through here.

I know that the commute can be a challenge and I appreciate that info but it's not really a huge concern. He takes his service truck home every night and since his job sends him out on site to work almost every day he's used to traveling sometimes hundreds a miles a day all over the state. Most nights he just comes homes with the truck from wherever he is.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper41 View Post
We are also looking to relocate to the Nashville area, but not quite as soon. We have a 11 year old daughter who has cerebral palsey and is severly multiply impaired. If you find any good resources in the Nashville area, can you please keep us in mind and pass us a message.

Thanks
Yes I absolutely will!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM

164 posts, read 397,018 times
Don't rule out Rutherford county for land to build. LaVergne is in Rutherford County. We have some decent schools and this website lists some property that meets your request.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

This link is for the county schools. The high schools are county run:

Rutherford County Schools (http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/RCS_NEW/index.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville