Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,818 times

Advertisements

Yet another "moving to Nashville" thread!

My husband and I are planning a move to Nashville next summer (2012) and are looking for some information.

We are in our 30s, have a newborn son and are a mixed race family (I am white and my husband is black). I work in non-profit and he works in retail management.

Where we live an interracial marriage isn't an issue at all. Will it be an issue in Nashville?

Where would be a good area of town to live in? We will be renting. Right now we pay $700 a month for a two bedroom, two bathroom townhome with a garage and yard. If we are looking for a good "family" neighborhood- good schools, low crime, "normal" cost of living, is it best to look out in the burbs? How much can we expect to pay in rent?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie3926 View Post
Yet another "moving to Nashville" thread!

My husband and I are planning a move to Nashville next summer (2012) and are looking for some information.

We are in our 30s, have a newborn son and are a mixed race family (I am white and my husband is black). I work in non-profit and he works in retail management.

Where we live an interracial marriage isn't an issue at all. Will it be an issue in Nashville?

Where would be a good area of town to live in? We will be renting. Right now we pay $700 a month for a two bedroom, two bathroom townhome with a garage and yard. If we are looking for a good "family" neighborhood- good schools, low crime, "normal" cost of living, is it best to look out in the burbs? How much can we expect to pay in rent?

Thank you!
I don't think you'll have much if any issue being a mixed race family in Nashville...I think your real problem will be finding a place with 2BR, 2BA with a garage, yard, good schools, and low crime for only $700 a month.

For the size place and type neighborhood you are describing, I'm thinking it would easily be $1,000+/month.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM

215 posts, read 682,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie3926 View Post

Thank you!
My first recommendation would have been Hillsboro Village but it can be expensive, anyway, it would be a good idea to look for a safe part of Nashville first ahead of any suburbs.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,818 times
I don't expect to pay the same amount for rent there. I'm sure the cost of living must be different. I imagine my salary there would be higher than it is here, but I could be wrong about that.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
Agree that mixed race should not be an issue.

Are you looking to rent the same type of accommodations (i.e. 2 bed, 2 bath townhome with garage and yard)?

What is your maximum rental budget?

Other than good schools and low crime, do you have other preferences? For instance, is proximity to downtown Nashville important or would you be happier in a more suburban area either in the countryside or out by Percy Priest lake?

Other Board members may be more knowledgeable than I on this topic, but I would think you will be best served by looking in suburbs such as Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet and possibly Lebanon. You might be able to find something in Bellevue or Brentwood, but you'd probably need to raise your housing budget to at least $1000.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Where are you moving from?

This is a REALLY good tool to compare the cost of living in two cities. See if it helps??

Cost of Living comparison calculator

I also agree - mixed race family would be welcome here. My neighbors across the street are a mixed race family.

My family is just mixed UP!

All the best!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
Oh, I see, countrygirl, your FAMILY is mixed up. Well, I think it's ME that's mixed up most of the time. To the OP: You have no reason to fear. Mixed couples are very commonplace and hardly garner a second glance most of the time. There will be some, as anywhere, that might give you the "look", but what the heck; does it really matter in the long run. If you're good neighbors, good people, you'll find Nashville will welcome you. Nashville is a big, spread out place with many areas to choose from. Continue your search, try to find people in similar circumstances to ask questions of and all will be fine. I'm not the best to give answers, but as a native Nashvillian, it's the people that count, not the color combinations.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 AM

164 posts, read 398,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Where are you moving from?

This is a REALLY good tool to compare the cost of living in two cities. See if it helps??

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Thanks for the calculator. Wish I had it before we moved but we still made out o.k. It helped that my husband kept his job so our northeast salary became a raise when we moved here with the lower cost of living.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Heck, I live in Chattanooga, and nobody pays any attention to mixed couples of all types. I see black/white couples all the time. No big deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville