Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I would love some serious input from music industry insiders in Nashville.

I am a 25 year old Ohioan and I am a professional audio engineer. By professional, I mean I work full time in a professional recording studio.. not my bedroom, not intern, not a small studio. Its actually one of Ohio's premier studios and I have been a part of every project, both engineering and producing that ever walked in the door.. both regional and national for the past 3 years.

I love my job, and I am very fortunate to be in the position that I am in now.. but sometimes I just want to see how far I can take this. I have always thought about moving to Nashville to take my work to the next level.

I have never been there. Country music is my life, its all I play, listen to, and prefer to work on.

But, I'm definitely a little hesitant quitting a great studio job in Ohio for a non guaranteed and probably non music job in Nashville. I know that place is insanely over saturated.

I am willing to work and I'm confident that I have a great resume and true studio experience to get somewhere. During this debate I sent some of my work to a A list industry Nashville session player for opinion and he rated it as excellent.. which is encouraging.

So, I'm just wondering what to do. I'm planning a week long trip soon to check it out and go from there. I just have a lot on the line to lose if it doesn't work out.

Any tips, info, suggestions, thoughts are appreciated. This is my life. And I have worked hard to get where I'm at now. I will take every word to heart.

Thank you all!

Last edited by ohioengineer; 06-13-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,226 times
Unless you know someone here, my advice is stay put. I am a trained audio engineer too and it is very hard to break into the studio scene. Many of them are closed now anyways and the handful that are still open have their house engineers and really only offer non paying internships. I sent out dozens of resume's and met with a few studio owners but they either didnt contact me back or only wanted someone to work for free with out the prospect of ever getting paid. There are however, obs to be had if you wanted to tour. I was gonna go that route but I met my wife before I finished school and that is why I was trying to break into the studio work. But, being an established engineer you may have better luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I have a friend with a beautiful newly built studio and although he's had a really good couple of weeks, the first 1/4 of the year was really slow. If you love what you do and can do it in Ohio, I, too, would suggest staying put. People who have been here for years (audio engineers) are just trying to stay afloat. James is right, many have closed down.

Of COURSE you should come visit and OF COURSE you should TRY but I wouldn't move here without a job in hand.

Unless you don't mind waiting tables. But that seems like a bit of a waste?

I guess it comes down to what is a higher priority. DOING what you love or loving where you LIVE?

I cooked and cleaned in a youth hostel for 3 years just to live in the Alps. Got REALLY good at peeling potatoes . . . .

Best of luck!

PS. Just checked one of my favorite studios . . . (http://www.castlerecordingstudios.com) On the contact page it clearly states they do NOT need to hire any engineers and that the internship is ONLY for someone who can get school credit for it. Sorry!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 06-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Additional Info - Link

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
PS. Just checked one of my favorite studios . . . (http://www.castlerecordingstudios.com) On the contact page it clearly states they do NOT need to hire any engineers and that the internship is ONLY for someone who can get school credit for it. Sorry!
That place is one of the coolest stories and most beautiful locations in the entire county ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville