Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
anz anz started this thread

27 posts, read 97,829 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about re-locating my family to Spring Hill. Any advice? I have family living in Thompsons Station and really like that area. I currently work as an Internal Auditor in the health care field. Looking for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Interests, preferences, brief profile?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:15 AM

I would be re-locating from Buffalo, NY. I have 3 children, one with Aspergers Syndrowm. I really like the Thompsons Station/ Spring Hill area. I work for an organ donation agency as an internal auditor in the QA dept. I am looking for advice to see if this would be a good move. Are northers welcome . I am looking to see how the economy is doing. Are there jobs in my field. Housing seems to be pretty similar to Buffalo. Any input is welcome

Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
It's best to know where you will work first. Spring Hill is more of an exurb of Nashville. So if you end up working pretty much anywhere other than Cool Springs, Columbia, or Spring Hill you are going to have a very long commute.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Because of the demise of Saturn you may find some deals in housing there.

It would be a long commute to Nashville. OK to visit but not to do every day.

We have a lot of refugees from the North. Just don't expect it to be like Buffalo. There may be some similarities : Titans vs Bills, Predators vs Sabres.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM

233 posts, read 720,816 times
There are some healthcare companies moving to (or already established in) Franklin. If you were to live in Spring Hill or Thompsons Station, it wouldn't be a bad commute. If you were to work in Nashville, than the commute would be longer. It really depends on where you were able to find work. Spring Hill is very popular and not as expensive as the Franklin area, but unless you know where you will be working, it's a little hard to say. Williamson County is supposed to have some of the best schools in the state, so as long as you are located in the Williamson County part of Spring Hill, that would be a plus. Some parts of the city of Spring Hill are located in Maury County and those schools are not as highly rated. Many people here are from other areas, so I don't think that the fact that you are from Buffalo would be a big deal.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anz View Post
I would be re-locating from Buffalo, NY. I have 3 children, one with Aspergers Syndrowm. I really like the Thompsons Station/ Spring Hill area. I work for an organ donation agency as an internal auditor in the QA dept. I am looking for advice to see if this would be a good move. Are northers welcome . I am looking to see how the economy is doing. Are there jobs in my field. Housing seems to be pretty similar to Buffalo. Any input is welcome
Like the others have said, it would probably be helpful to find out exactly where you will be working. As Paula said, it wouldn't be a bad commute to Franklin, but could be a tiring one to Nashville (although I know people who make that trip daily).

I do think the Thompson's Station/Spring Hill area is beautiful...at least the landscape. The housing is pretty typical cookie cutter, with a few exceptions.

Most areas of Nashville are pretty accepting of northerners, especially since the area has grown so quickly (i.e. there is a rather large transplant population). The suburbs, especially Franklin, Murfreesboro, and Spring Hill, have tons of transplants. Spring Hill in particular has a large number of folks from Michigan (who moved there when GM came to town). Even with most of the plant closed, many remain there.

As for jobs in your field...I don't have any expertise there -- you should definitely find some contacts before you choose to move.

Again, as others have mentioned, there are a lot of healthcare jobs in downtown/West End in Nashville, and in Franklin/Brentwood. Those would probably be the areas to look at first.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks, I will look into finding employment and get from there

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times
Are you still looking at making this move? We also have a young son with aspberger's and are thinking of moving to Spring Hill from the Dallas suburbs. My husband works from home and we're ready for a change.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Hi SRELM,

I am not sure how often anz visits the board but you can send her a direct message by clicking on her name in the bar . . . She might see that quicker than your post on the thread if she does visit again?

I think it's not as hot here as it has been in Texas this summer BUT it's still hot enough . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville