Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the background info. It makes sense that NW Nashville is the more rocky / hilly / difficult section to build on, and thus less desirable to development. And I agree the close promixmity of rural landscape to downtown has always been one of Nashville's charms. But I had to laugh at the comment that north Nashville is "economically disadvantaged" because of course in Atlanta the exact opposite is true -- to a disturbing degree. Further north of the city you go, the wealthier it gets while the Southside is generally seen as "the bad side of town."

Also, don't give up on redeveloping that waste metal blight. They said that the Atlantic Steel sight in Midtown Atlanta was too polluted and cost-prohibitive to ever be used for anything else, and now it's the stunning Atlantic Station -- the most successful "brownfield" reclaimation project in the history of America! Sure, it cost billions of dollars but it can be done!

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Station

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-23-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Thanks for the background info. It makes sense that NW Nashville is the more rocky / hilly / difficult section to build on, and thus less desirable to development. And I agree the close promixmity of rural landscape to downtown has always been one of Nashville's charms. But I had to laugh at the comment that north Nashville is "economically disadvantaged" because of course in Atlanta the exact opposite is true -- to a disturbing degree. Further north of the city you go, the wealthier it gets while the Southside is generally seen as "the bad side of town."

Also, don't give up on redeveloping that waste metal blight. They said that the Atlantic Steel sight in Midtown Atlanta was too polluted and cost-prohibitive to ever be used for anything else, and now it's the stunning Atlantic Station -- the most successful "brownfield" reclaimation project in the history of America! Sure, it cost billions of dollars but it can be done!

Atlantic Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a big difference. Atlantic Steel was already closed and decaying, whereas PSC Metals is thriving. At any rate, if moving PSC Metals means getting an IKEA in downtown Nashville the way IKEA is in Atlantic Station in Atlanta, I'm all for it!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-23-2011, 03:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
^^^ LOL! Yes, I'm proud to boast that Atlanta had an IKEA store before any city in Florida did! It helps that IKEA's U.S. port-of-entry is Savannah, where they have a 2-million sf distribution center. I think IKEA would look great along that stretch of the Cumberland River and interstate in DT Nashville.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM

46 posts, read 135,492 times
[quote=groovamos;20143840]Because people want to live in beautiful places. I hope thats OK with you, really. Part of the reason people are moving to Nashville is because it has transformed itself into a beautiful place with the help of the geography. Trust me, you will like the amenities, dining and entertainment there upgraded, as the city expands. I'm in Houston and we just moved up a notch to the #5 metro in population, and this place has really improved in many ways in the last 22 years since I arrived.

Yes, I get the point, but you can live in a beautiful place without ruining it. I would not use Los Angeles as an example. The last time I was there I nearly passed out from the smog that was obscuring its natural "beauty."
My point is that Nashville does not have to be "transformed into a beautiful place" because it is naturally beautiful. What you seem to mean is that you want more artificial "beauty" instead of the rural beauty that many now enjoy--that's a matter of taste.

I'm not against development if it is controlled to the point that is doesn't destroy what was once beautiful.
As for California, it is an overtaxed and overpopulated state now and of course they have to keep adding new lanes to the highways because the traffic has grown out of proportion. Paradise!

Last edited by altereco; 07-23-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 AM

314 posts, read 1,036,750 times
How about building on the land we are already using with sustainable planning and further urbanization. Build a damn transit system and increase density. Please don't touch those rural areas.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
How about building on the land we are already using with sustainable planning and further urbanization. Build a damn transit system and increase density. Please don't touch those rural areas.
I'm not worried about the rural areas on the north and west sides of the county...the topography will keep it that way for the foreseeable future...

What I want us to do is to be smarter about development in and around rivers and streams. It's no small wonder why we have flooding problems considering where a good bit of the development is allowed (or was allowed) to build.

I would like to see us increase density...but I think that is something we are already doing (to a degree). Infill is a slow process...but there is definitely evidence of that around town. I think part of the issue with the areas outside of the central city is that Nashville still wants to attract growth...and they know they have to compete with some of the suburbs for that, so they have to allow suburban options.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
I'm on vacation and suddenly I feel inspired to take a trip up through the land we're talking about. I'll take some photos and anyone who declares this land "needs" to be development is off his/her rocker. This is pristine hill country and darn well better stay that way. Look at Mt. Juliet, Smyrna, etc. This cannot happen there. NW is Fontenel Mansion and seeing Steely Dan under the stars, Mt. Juliet is styrofoam chains, unsustainable over the long haul at best. I hope people understand this and work really hard to keep things up out there. I'm sure they will with the good folks out there, but parts of Antioch you drive through now were just lovely back in the day. I'll be first in line to picket any developer's greed in NW Davidson.

Oh, and I'm in North Inglewood, very dense. And I'll be in the beautiful hills in 12 minutes. Love that.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I really don't see it happening, honestly. I think that area of town has attracted people who want land...who want wide open spaces. I think some major new development would be fought over and defeated. After all, while it feels "rural", most of NW Davidson county is within a very easy drive of Nashville, Rivergate, etc for shopping/commerce. Putting some new development up there wouldn't make a lot of fiscal sense.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
This is pristine hill country and darn well better stay that way. Look at Mt. Juliet, Smyrna, etc. This cannot happen there. NW is Fontenel Mansion and seeing Steely Dan under the stars, Mt. Juliet is styrofoam chains, unsustainable over the long haul at best. I hope people understand this and work really hard to keep things up out there. I'm sure they will with the good folks out there, but parts of Antioch you drive through now were just lovely back in the day. I'll be first in line to picket any developer's greed in NW Davidson.

Oh, and I'm in North Inglewood, very dense. And I'll be in the beautiful hills in 12 minutes. Love that.
Dave, you and donCorleon better get to work; a few months ago I saw in the Tennessean that a new development is going in including a bunch of retail, out there in NW. The terrain isn't going to stop it either, all you have to do is visit the mind-boggling development in the hills west of Austin, more rocky than NW Davidson, limestone too. When I moved to Austin in '75 there was very sparse population out there, mostly hippies, weekenders and retirees; Lakeway was just a resort/retirement community. Now Lakeway is a gigantic suburb, there must be 3~400,000 people in the hill country outside Austin, and no freeway in place either. Now they do have a big lake right there (Travis), and a smaller one on the west side of Austin (Lake Austin) but you guys have I-24 there ready for commuters. Just sayin-- it will happen in our lifetimes.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I live in Hendersonville so its not really my neck of the woods. But Joelton, Whites Creek, Ashland City...I just don't see it turning into a Providence/Indian Lake/Cool Springs anytime soon. Geography might play a role, I suppose...but I think it's as much economics and culture as anything else. The area historically has not been affluent. More middle-lower middle income than anything else. And as I said before, I think there's more of a land culture there as well. That's not to say a big development might work out there (if you build it they may come), but if I'm a developer other parts of town would be a safer bet in this economy. However, because land is cheaper out there, I could see someone making a go of it.

Now...Walmart/Target type of shopping areas with the accompanying strip malls...certainly that is possible relatively soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville