Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM

310 posts, read 1,356,973 times

Advertisements

Planning on relocating from Ohio to Nashville Tn. and I need to find the cheapest place, but also safe. I have 2 kids ages 3 & 5. Their dad works in excavation, locating, puts cable in the ground, and is now supervisor. He will have to find a new job there, which we will try to get one set up before we move. I work from home doing medical transcription. I make roughly 14/hr., he makes 20/hr., but he will probably have to take a pay cut starting over at another company, I don't know. I am hoping with his experience, he can get a decent starting pay with another company. So where would the safest place be to live that is also really affordable. Should we rent or buy? I was thinking the cheapest housing would be to buy a foreclosure. A friend of ours bought a house for only 20,000 and it was actually a nice place. We will probably rent first until we find a better place. Where at IN Nashville should I avoid? I wouldn't mind living a little bit outside Nashville, but I don't want to live too far so I am not spending a fortune on gas. Thoughts/advice?

(I just want to make it clear that I have a very low income and what some of you consider cheap, I would consider too expensive. I am looking to save money not spend it all on bills and rent. Right now we spend 600 mortgage and even more than that on gas. That's another thing. Some of the places some of you would consider close to Nashville are too far for me. I don't want to live any further than 15 min away from the city of Nashville, 30 min is a LOT of gas. I know I may have to make sacrifices but I don't want to sacrifice the safety of my kids. Hope I explained what I am looking for well enough.

So if it IS possible to live IN Nashville in a SAFE and CHEAP area, please, PLEASE let me know where.)

Thank you.

Last edited by kiwifruit2; 07-25-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Personally, I would find the job first and then look at places to live. That can easily rule out a lot of areas where the commute would end up binge too long.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM

True, I just wanted a general idea of where the cheapest and safest areas are at. Thanks 4 the reply .

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

The reason I mentioned it is your husband may find work in one of the smaller outlying areas...Franklin, Spring Hill, Hendersonville, Lebanon, etc. Most of these places would likely get you more "bang for the buck", but it you were living in Nashville proper, the commute could potentially be quite long.

Is there any reason you want to live so close to downtown?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I don't think there will be much to rent for $600 a month within 15 minutes of downtown Nashville that would be considered really safe. Food (grocery) is cheaper in Ohio (no tax). Electricity is maybe cheaper here and it doesn't get as cold. What's the appeal of Nashville for you? To me, having a job these days is something to hang on to . . . . but that's just me! Do you have friends or family here? Have you visited? bmrisko is right. You should find the job first or the commute might be way more than you bargained for.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM

No tax in Ohio? I thought there was no state tax in Tn.?

Well, honestly I don't know what I want exactly. I do know I want to be close to the music scene and be close enough to work. Yes a job is important, but I HATE Ohio. I am almost done with online college for medical transcription. When finished, I will be able to work from home from my own home office. I can earn anywhere from 10-20 per hr. depending on how many reports I transcribe and depending on if I get hourly or paid on production. My bf works for an excavating company, underground cable. He supervises his own crew. He earns 20 per hr. He started off at 14/hr in 2005.

I have no family at all. My mom kicked me out at a young age, and I never knew my father. Don't have any brothers/sisters. The only 'family' I do have is my bf's mom and he has 3 brothers, but they all live in different places. Actually 1 brother of his lives in Tn. but it's the one he hates.

I want to move to Nashville for the music opportunity (much more than here that's for sure), real estate is much cheaper there, weather is nicer, people are much nicer. I guess I could live in one of the outside towns, that's not a big problem. It's just that from my experience, we moved 30 min away from where my bf works now and WAY too much is spent on gas.

I plan on going back to college. I want to be a dentist. I just want to at least give singing a try, at least it would be fun trying. My bf is thinking of going to college to get either an associates degree in management or bachelor's in engineering. Petroleum engineering.

Our plan is to move to a cheap apartment, save up some money and buy a cheap foreclosed property if possible. (No harm in looking right?) A friend of mine got a foreclosure for only 20,000 and it's a nice place. His mortgage is only 250 bucks a month! That is less than half of what i pay and his place is nicer!

We've got some money saved up, around $9000. The challenges are for my bf to find a good paying job (hopefully with his experience he can find one), to find an affordable place, and for the area to be safe. Safety is a concern because I have 2 young children.

Reasons I want to leave Ohio. My bf was robbed in Akron. We live right in the middle of Canton, Akron, and Youngstown. Youngstown is known around here as "Murder City". Akron and Canton isn't much better. Akron has 'nice' parts, but only the super rich can afford to live there. Weather is so depressing. It's cloudy 90% of the year due to lake effect. The only seasons in Ohio are winter, winter, summer, winter.

Sorry I typed so much .

Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Yes I have visited. We were down visiting my bf's brother once (the one he hates) and we loved it. People are so friendly and we passed through nashville too. Loved it.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM

215 posts, read 681,956 times
There's a house for sale in my neighborhood at 211 Capitol View Dr (Avenue) for $48,500.00.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
All grocery store food is taxed here. I don't think it is taxed in Ohio? I was just up in Cincinnati. I know what you mean about just being 'done' with a place and I just moved to Nashville a year ago and like it very much. But moving itself is expensive and jobs are tough to find EVERYWHERE! You can look at houses on realtracs.com.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Tennessee has one of the highest state sales taxes at 9.25-9.75% depending on city, but there is no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville