Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM

15 posts, read 44,016 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm still on the search for houses but I'm actually ready to buy now (wooo!) and we've started looking at houses, mostly in the Donelson area because of its central location to everything and everyone we want to live near.

A couple of the houses we've looked at are in a flight path - within 30 minutes at one place, we saw two planes fly (seemingly low) over the house towards the airpot.

What I want to know are a few things, and I've been googling this information but can't find much Nashville specific.

- When it comes time for resale, how hard is it to sell a house in a flight path?
- Living under one -- does it drive you crazy? Do you get used to it?
- We don't have kids, its just me and my fiancé and our pets. We like having parties/bbqs outside and I work from home. Is living in this area just really dumb to consider??

Thank you for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Every little noise bothers me . . barking dogs, screaming kids, weed whackers, buzzing bees . . . I think different people have different tolerances. Your best bet is to ask your immediate neighbors. They might say you don't even notice it after a while? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked them. You could even just mail a note to their address with a phone number or email for an answer. If they DON'T answer then maybe the neighbors will be a bigger problem than the jets!

That said, one never knows about buying a house. Sometimes you can buy a lovely home on a golf course, only to have the golf course property sold and made into condos for retired circus performers who juggle late into the night.

All the best in your house hunt!

(Are houses in the flight path cheaper?)

Old 08-06-2011, 06:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
I'm glad you asked that, alwayschaos. I've been pondering a move to Donelson myself. I'm not scared of the people/environment/reputation. But I do wonder about the planes. I've been looking at a place off Fairway Blvd, just south of Lebanon Rd (if anybody has any specific knowledge of that particular area).

Best wishes on your search!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM

91 posts, read 202,998 times
I live near McGavock and Lebanon pike and while I'm not on the direct flight path I am close. I should note that I grew up in Ohio on a flight path and within about 100 yards from a train track so noises have never much bothered me. I actually need some noise to sleep. The mornings and evenings for a short time are busier than other times during the day, but it's never been any annoyance of mine.

I think different people are going to react differently to the planes. I think moving to the area is great, my girlfriend and I love it here! However, we also rent. I would consider buying though and being on the flight path would have no affect on my purchase in this area.

This is all just my opinion though.

Here's a map showing the nashville noise exposure. Check it out and see what you think.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,788 times
My sister used to own a house in Donelson. It was in a flight path AND the Music City Star ran right behind her back yard. You could wave to the people as they rode by. The train was definitely the more annoying thing to them. She didn't really have a problem selling her house. She didn't have to come down on price much. She sold it about 2 years ago...so the market wasn't great. I think if you find a good deal on a house and it's in a decent neighborhood, that will determine your resale value more than anything. I think there are people who really want to live in Donelson and they overlook the flight pattern stuff.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 AM

290 posts, read 1,053,728 times
I live in Donelson, near the Sonic on Donelson Pike. My house is between two flight paths. The airplanes never bother me. I am an Air Force brat, so it may be I am used to the noise.

Houses in my neighborhood have storm windows installed to cut down on the noise. There are only certain times of the day when the airliners land or take off. And, to be honest, even outdoors, it is not all the bad.

If I leave my windows open at night, I hear more noise from Interstate 40, and I live a mile away.

The airport is a good neighbor to us in Donelson. I have been here 12 years and never had a problem with the airplanes.

I see interesting aircraft flying around like an Osprey. It can rotate the propellers and take off/land like a helicopter. I have seen F16's and C-130s land takeoff and land as well.

And, some of the newer airliners make very little noise when taking off/landing.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM

15 posts, read 44,016 times
Thanks everyone for your replies!

CountryGirl2b - I think you can usually talk the price down a little bit if its in a busy flight path, especially a landing path or take off path. A lot of the houses seem to be a lot cheaper than the houses north of Lebanon pike. OR rather, there seem to be MORE cheaper houses.

strumpeace - That's the area in which I'd really like to live; there's the really convenient corner of McGavock pike and Lebanon with the grocery and gas and such, and then 2 seconds from Briley. The neighborhoods off Fairway are really nice and holding their value.

dustinsn3485 - can you post the map you mentioned? I'd love to take a look at it.

Personally, I dont think the airplane noise would really bother me too much especially if we got soundproof windows but my parents are very concerned it will bother us after a year or two there, and of course about resale.

I really love the Donelson area for a lot of reasons. It just seems like a good place to be.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM

91 posts, read 202,998 times
Uh oh, sorry about that. Not sure why it didn't post the first time and I never proof read my posting.

http://www.flynashville.com/about/no...2009NEMmap.pdf

Try that one!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 41,582 times
We rented in Donelson for a year and just purchased a house here. We live off Lebanon Pike in the vicinity of the YMCA, DCA, & School for the Blind. Sometime I hear planes but I think I just got used to it. I am bothered more by dogs barking in the neighborhood. *And my rental house in Donelson was on a busy street so the traffic noise & emergency vehicles were more of a bother than the planes. Overall, we've been very happy in this area & it is convenient to so many things.

I am a bit curious as to what the comment, "I'm not scared of the people/environment/reputation..." means? We relocated from out of state and don't know that many people who are native to Nashville. I've found the people here generally to be nice, the traffic a lot less congested, and the crimes to be much less violent than other areas in the city. I'm just wondering what is the "reputation" of Donelson since I've made it my permanent home? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville