U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM

84 posts, read 458,428 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for help/advice about relocating to Nashville. My husband and I (along with our 9 month old son) are trying to relocate to Nashville from California. I had visited the area twice about 4 to 5 years ago and loved it there. Now that I have a son, I would like for him to be brought up in a better environment than what is offered here in California. My husband is an IT Network Administrator that has his MCSE certification, and he is having trouble finding employment out there because we don't already live there. So, we are thinking about moving there without him having a job. I have no worries that he will find employment within a month, and if I had to, I would be willing to work as well in the accounting field. Anyways, does anyone have advice about how we would be able to get an apartment there if we have money saved, but no jobs? We have spoken to a couple of leasing agents in La Vergne, and they were not very friendly or helpful. Does anyone know where else we could try getting a nice, safe apartment until my husband finds perminant employment? How have any of you others that have relocated there done it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and have a good day!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
M2N

32 posts, read 159,589 times
Hi!

I don't have any info to share about apartments...but you can always continue your job search from CA... but inform the prospective employer that you will pay for moving expenses!

A friend of mine just moved from MN to TX that way...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post
...does anyone have advice about how we would be able to get an apartment there if we have money saved, but no jobs?...Does anyone know where else we could try getting a nice, safe apartment until my husband finds perminant employment? How have any of you others that have relocated there done it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and have a good day!
I was in a similar situation in November of 2005.

I was in the USAF stationed in North Dakota and my wife and I were moving here that December. I was coming down to find a place for us before we officially moved in December.

I found some apartments I liked, but none would rent to me because I didn't have a job here. I told them, "I'll pay my entire lease upfront (I would have)." But no, they still wouldn't lease a place to me. Ridiculous, I know.

Anyways, I went back there and basically wasted an entire trip here - didn't find a job or a place.

So I went back for a month and a half and then we came back down together. We stayed at a very low-end motel for about week while I looked for work and a place to rent.

Finally, we found a townhome owned by an individual, not a large company. He just wanted his money, he wasn't really concerned with my employment, or lack there of.

So, sorry for the long-winded story. But as you can see, my advice is to rent a place from an individual, because you may very well not find a place withouth having employment first. They will be slower about fixing things, but it might cost less.

Try craigslist or the Tennessean newspaper for rentals.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 54,935 times
Hey, good luck--- we moved here two years ago from FL, also to get a more family/kid friendly environment. Try the area off Old Hickory Blvd and I-65, just on the other side of the interstate from Brentwood/Maryland Farms. It is less expensive than Brentwood proper, but still nice apartments to be found.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,933,405 times
I sent you a message re: jobs.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM

156 posts, read 637,919 times
Call Lori Koogler 615-833-3151
We use her alot for people relocating into the area that want to rent for awhile...She is with apartment locators.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 AM

250 posts, read 943,152 times
check out craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and click Nashville for the regional listings...it's a great place to find rentals and there may be some options for you there. best of luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 AM

162 posts, read 501,160 times
Some of the larger complexes will also allow you to put down three months rent as a sort of collateral.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 13,397 times
Default rental home in Thompson Station...awesome area

HCA is a good place to look for employment....
My home is avail. asap and comes furnished if needed...temp lease avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post
Hi, I am looking for help/advice about relocating to Nashville. My husband and I (along with our 9 month old son) are trying to relocate to Nashville from California. I had visited the area twice about 4 to 5 years ago and loved it there. Now that I have a son, I would like for him to be brought up in a better environment than what is offered here in California. My husband is an IT Network Administrator that has his MCSE certification, and he is having trouble finding employment out there because we don't already live there. So, we are thinking about moving there without him having a job. I have no worries that he will find employment within a month, and if I had to, I would be willing to work as well in the accounting field. Anyways, does anyone have advice about how we would be able to get an apartment there if we have money saved, but no jobs? We have spoken to a couple of leasing agents in La Vergne, and they were not very friendly or helpful. Does anyone know where else we could try getting a nice, safe apartment until my husband finds perminant employment? How have any of you others that have relocated there done it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or