Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleNewbie View Post
I wish I could say nice things about our neighborhood, but between being rezoned to a school that is 'iffy'
First off, I'm surprised to hear it's so miserable in Carronbridge. It's beautiful. Shame they strangle you with restrictions.

I have to ask, though, about the "iffy" school comment. Iffy based on what?

Just when I think people have seen through the ridiculous rumors about CHS, I see something like this.

Am I jumping to the wrong conclusion? Were you referring to another school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM

39 posts, read 91,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
First off, I'm surprised to hear it's so miserable in Carronbridge. It's beautiful. Shame they strangle you with restrictions.

I have to ask, though, about the "iffy" school comment. Iffy based on what?

Just when I think people have seen through the ridiculous rumors about CHS, I see something like this.

Am I jumping to the wrong conclusion? Were you referring to another school?
Yes, unfortunately our neighborhood sucks in a major way. I should have listened to my realtor. She was absolutely right.
She had a friend that lived in here and he couldn't wiat to get out of here.

You are right, it's a beautiful neighborhood. But between the screaming HOA meetings, the nasty letters management company sends out (I haven't received one yet because I haven't complained to anyone in the HOA.
(LOL Instead I do it in a public forum! LOL)
There are a lot of problems with the roads on the enclave side, the ponds are all smelly because the fountains don't work. The pool got pretty scummy this summer. And lots of people (kids - teens) swim here but don't live here! It's hysterical.

I was most definitely referring to Centennial. I'm not talking the gang situation either. Because there are bad kids in every school.
I'm talking about the fact that the elementary and middle schools are great but the high school has some of the lowest test scores in the county. It's sad but true. I doubt we would have moved here if our kids had to go to Centennial. We would have moved them to Brentwood.
I think I read way back before we even moved here that your kids go to Centennial right? If so, what has been your impression? Hopefully better than mine. If not, I apologize in advance, it's hard to keep track of people when I'm not on here a whole lot.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM

One of our kids graduated from CHS and we have another there now. They both work hard and get out what they put into it. Sports, extracurricular activities, etc., have been wonderful. I have traveled with different groups from the school over the years, and have never (knock wood) had any problems regarding behavior. A good friend of mine whose boys attend BHS can't say the same. As a matter of fact, we both had groups at an out-of-town event last year and she was amazed at the difference between our students' behavior.

Both of our kids have been able to indulge their interests (music, government, etc.) while maintaining high GPAs. Our oldest was offered scholarships to several schools. They are/were both honor students, taking AP classes.

Our youngest is very involved in sports. He competed on a state level last year. His coaches are careful to remind them they are students first, and athletes second. The parents of these teams become very close, forming relationships that benefit our kids in and out of school.

I realize no school is perfect, and I'm not claiming there are no problems at CHS. I just don't understand some of the comments made. I spend time there as a volunteer. I know many of the kids. I chaperone on field trips, proctor on test days, help during events, etc. In other words, I feel connected there, and feel I have an informed opinion of the climate at CHS. When I hear an opposite view from those who are not involved, it makes me wonder. Surely you're going on more than test scores alone, right?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
One of our kids graduated from CHS and we have another there now. They both work hard and get out what they put into it. Sports, extracurricular activities, etc., have been wonderful. I have traveled with different groups from the school over the years, and have never (knock wood) had any problems regarding behavior. A good friend of mine whose boys attend BHS can't say the same. As a matter of fact, we both had groups at an out-of-town event last year and she was amazed at the difference between our students' behavior.

Both of our kids have been able to indulge their interests (music, government, etc.) while maintaining high GPAs. Our oldest was offered scholarships to several schools. They are/were both honor students, taking AP classes.

Our youngest is very involved in sports. He competed on a state level last year. His coaches are careful to remind them they are students first, and athletes second. The parents of these teams become very close, forming relationships that benefit our kids in and out of school.

I realize no school is perfect, and I'm not claiming there are no problems at CHS. I just don't understand some of the comments made. I spend time there as a volunteer. I know many of the kids. I chaperone on field trips, proctor on test days, help during events, etc. In other words, I feel connected there, and feel I have an informed opinion of the climate at CHS. When I hear an opposite view from those who are not involved, it makes me wonder. Surely you're going on more than test scores alone, right?
Tests scores and the type of kids that go to the school. But truth be told - tests scores are important. Unless I had a child that had a particular personality problem or some other reason I felt a school with lower scores would be of help, I wouldn't send them there. Well 'there' being Centennial.

I have to tell you though, I have driven around and around the school and the Cool Springs area and I cannot see why the school has such low scores (compared to the other WCS). It is so beautiful here. I must be missing something. I read somewhere that there was one elementary school that was located in a rough neighborhood. Maybe that's it. But please don't quote me because it may not even be related to CHS!

You're lucky your children have done so well. I'm sure they are the hard working students that help keep the scores higher. I honestly don't think most people would 'choose' Centennial if they had other choices. But that's just me. Then again, as I said earlier, aside from what all my neighbors say, I just don't see where the 'problem' comes from that causes the scores to be so much lower. What am I missing???

You are truly blessed to have kind and intelligent children. Most likely they are so wonderful because you appear to be an involved parent. Involved parents really can make a difference in a child's success.

Last edited by NashvilleNewbie; 09-01-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 04:18 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Tests scores and the type of kids that go to the school. But truth be told - tests scores are important. Unless I had a child that had a particular personality problem or some other reason I felt a school with lower scores would be of help, I wouldn't send them there. Well 'there' being Centennial.

I have to tell you though, I have driven around and around the school and the Cool Springs area and I cannot see why the school has such low scores (compared to the other WCS). It is so beautiful here. I must be missing something. I read somewhere that there was one elementary school that was located in a rough neighborhood. Maybe that's it. But please don't quote me because it may not even be related to CHS!

You're lucky your children have done so well. I'm sure they are the hard working students that help keep the scores higher. I honestly don't think most people would 'choose' Centennial if they had other choices. But that's just me. Then again, as I said earlier, aside from what all my neighbors say, I just don't see where the 'problem' comes from that causes the scores to be so much lower. What am I missing???

You are truly blessed to have kind and intelligent children. Most likely they are so wonderful because you appear to be an involved parent. Involved parents really can make a difference in a child's success.
We are opened zoned for centennial. I would pick it over our zoned high school if my kids were going to public high school. It is probably the only high school in the county with economic diversity.

Test scores correlate with how the economic status of the children. The highest scoring county schools on the ACT also had the lowest percent of kids on free and reduced lunch and the lower testing schools had the highest percentage on free and reduced lunch.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Tests scores and the type of kids that go to the school.

I don't want to jump to conclusions about this remark. Could you explain? If you don't know the kids, haven't spent any time on campus, and have no affiliation with the school, how could you possibly know what "type of kids" attend, unless you are referring to racial make-up?

I hope this comes across as intended. I have no interest in starting anything. I just want to understand what you are saying.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I don't want to jump to conclusions about this remark. Could you explain? If you don't know the kids, haven't spent any time on campus, and have no affiliation with the school, how could you possibly know what "type of kids" attend, unless you are referring to racial make-up?

I hope this comes across as intended. I have no interest in starting anything. I just want to understand what you are saying.
Well I never mentioned anything about what I know of the school. I said that I doubted I'd send my kids to Centennial if I had to send them there. I know enough about Centennial as it relates to my family. Who are you to say I haven't been through the school, or that I don't already know students there, or that I'm not involved on some other level???

Diversity schmersity. Are you saying that ALL the other people who are sending their kids to Brentwood, Ravenwood, etc are doing it because they want to be around all white people? No, they are sending them there because of the BETTER TESTS SCORES. If the school had mostly Hispanic and African-American students and it had much higher test scores than the other schools, you can bet that is the school I'd send my kids to it if I wanted my children to attend public school. It's the test scores that matter if you are concerned about academics for your child.

You want your kids to have diversity AND better tests scores? Send them to a private school that fits that criteria. Without outstanding tests scores your child has less of a chance of getting into one of the better universities. It's not all about prestigue, it's also about the connections the students will make when afforded the opportunity to attend a higher rated university.

I'm really not in the mood to get dragged in to a fight about the problems that plague Centennial High School. Your kids are florishing there - Great! Now let's move on because this thread is about HOA's and not schools. I only mentioned the 'iffy' schools because it's just another thing that makes living in this particular neighborhood difficult. NO ONE I know here sends their kids to Centennial. They all go to private school or they've been grandfathered in to Ravenwood.

And the HOA here still sucks.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well I never mentioned anything about what I know of the school. I said that I doubted I'd send my kids to Centennial if I had to send them there. I know enough about Centennial as it relates to my family. Who are you to say I haven't been through the school, or that I don't already know students there, or that I'm not involved on some other level???

My mistake. I thought you said earlier that you had only driven around it and looked at their test scores.

Diversity schmersity. Are you saying that ALL the other people who are sending their kids to Brentwood, Ravenwood, etc are doing it because they want to be around all white people?:
I never mentioned diversity.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
know what "type of kids" attend, unless you are referring to racial make-up?
My mistake. I thought that's what you meant after I read the above.
My apologies.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:

Diversity schmersity. Are you saying that ALL the other people who are sending their kids to Brentwood, Ravenwood, etc are doing it because they want to be around all white people? No, they are sending them there because of the BETTER TESTS SCORES. If the school had mostly Hispanic and African-American students and it had much higher test scores than the other schools, you can bet that is the school I'd send my kids to it if I wanted my children to attend public school. It's the test scores that matter if you are concerned about academics for your child.

You want your kids to have diversity AND better tests scores? Send them to a private school that fits that criteria. Without outstanding tests scores your child has less of a chance of getting into one of the better universities. It's not all about prestigue, it's also about the connections the students will make when afforded the opportunity to attend a higher rated university.

I'm really not in the mood to get dragged in to a fight about the problems that plague Centennial High School. Your kids are florishing there - Great! Now let's move on because this thread is about HOA's and not schools. I only mentioned the 'iffy' schools because it's just another thing that makes living in this particular neighborhood difficult. NO ONE I know here sends their kids to Centennial. They all go to private school or they've been grandfathered in to Ravenwood.

And the HOA here still sucks.

Not trying to jump into the arguement about Centennial, but I did want to give you some anecdotal info. We have friends who moved here from a top district in CA. They live in the Meade at Avalon. Their oldest was a freshman at Ravenwood during the rezoning last year. They were initially very upset. They visited Centennial and met with the principal and were very impressed with what he has done at Centennial.

Here's a recent quote from Dr. Looney about Centennial's test scores:

Quote:
One of the top performing states in the U.S. was Massachusetts where the average ACT score was 24.2. A big difference between the two states is that only 22 percent of the student population actually took the exam, not 100 percent like Tennessee, Looney said.
Looney said a quick analysis of Centennial High School’s top 25 percent of students taking the test would yield a 27.9. “I wouldn’t take a 24.2 if I’m testing the top best and brightest,” he said.
I understand your concerns, mostly because I understand what you are hearing in your neighborhood. We have several friends who live in Carronbridge, and they wouldn't even look at Centennial. They went straight to applying for private schools after the rezoning was done. I think the emotions and rhetoric was raised very high about Centennial in Carronbridge during that 1 year+ rezoning battle. And I think it lasting for so long only made things worse. If the rezoning hadn't been delayed for as long, I don't think the emotions towards Centennial wouldn have been so high.

As time passes, I would bet that more Carronbridge families will start to go to Centennial. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and not all HOAs are as crazy as yours. But your neighborhood is gorgeous and a great location, so hopefully that offsets some of the crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville