U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM

187 posts, read 566,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I have no doubt about how Madison is _perceived._ I hear it all the time from people who don't live here, and are surprised that I do. They think there are shootouts on every corner, that anyone who lives here is in daily danger for their lives, and that no one speaks English. That's simply not true.

What I do have a problem with is when people make broad, unsupported statements about Madison. This only feeds that false perception that Madison as a whole is a terrible place to live. It hurts your friend's property values, and the property values of the rest of us who live in pretty nice areas of town.
I can totally relate to how you feel. Here in NY, I live in an area that sounds a bit like Madison. It has it's "bad parts", but it also has good parts. However it is not a "desirable" area to live in. Mostly because of the shools. Which is why we are looking to get out as well. Our area is nice, but our children will go to the same school as the not so great area. And once you get to the Junior High School age, it becomes a problem. So that is why people try to stay out of this area when looking to buy, and probably the same reason people tell home hunter's to stay away from Madison. I guess if you don't have children and live in the good part of Madison it would not be a problem. I really don't know because I have never actually been there, but like I said, it sounds a lot like where I am now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,434,810 times
Quote:
I'm getting really tired of this. I _live_ in Madison, and far too often I have to defend my city from these kinds of attacks on this forum. I've been here in Madison for five years, and admit that there are _parts_ of town that are problem areas.

Apparently, though, the repeated opinions of those who actually live here are irrelevant to some posters.

Antioch gets the same kind of treatment. There are parts of Antioch that have problems, but there are other areas that are good, strong neighborhoods. Running down the whole area hurts those folks who are living good, law-abiding lives.

When we decided to buy a house, we looked at a lot of areas. We were looking for somewhere a) close to the city (gas is only going to get more expensive), b) older construction (it's better), c) an integrated neighborhood (we didn't want an all-white enclave), d) affordability (a house we could afford on one income, just in case), and e) safety.

We found what were were looking for here in Madison.
I don't think anyone has said that good parts don't exist in Madison, but the city as a whole has many more issues with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals than Hendersonville, White House, or even Gallatin. The same goes for Antioch.

It isn't fair to tell newcomers who are unfamiliar with this area that Madison and Hendersonville are on the same level crime-wise. Give them the names of specific neighborhoods in Madison that are safe and upscale, but be honest when you talk about crime stats for the city as a whole.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 35,975 times
Love reading all the posts - good and bad - slanted or not. I need to get a broad overview of the area for our family's upcoming relocation to the area. I have been wondering about Hendersonville and how affordable it is for what we are looking for in a house. Also, a major concern is how the schools are. We have a 1st grader and an up and coming kindergarten in another year so this is a big factor for us. Thanks for all the info. I am gleaning on Hendersonville! The lakes sound LOVELY! Is it possible to get a home right on the lake with dock access for under 425K? We are looking for 2700+ sq. feet with 3-4 BR's. Brick would be ideal. Any input?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM

427 posts, read 1,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
It isn't fair to tell newcomers who are unfamiliar with this area that Madison and Hendersonville are on the same level crime-wise. Give them the names of specific neighborhoods in Madison that are safe and upscale, but be honest when you talk about crime stats for the city as a whole.

I don't recall anyone saying they were the same, and I certainly didn't. But I do recall several posts saying that Madison as a whole was riddled with crime.

And now you've added something new: safe AND upscale. Not every safe neighborhood is upscale. We passed on upscale -- though we were approved to buy a much more expensive house, we wanted one that we could stay in if one of us lost a job or became ill. We also didn't think carrying that much debt in an unstable economy was a good idea.

Instead, we're in a safe, working class, integrated neighborhood.

They do exist.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM

71 posts, read 382,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed2bamom View Post
Love reading all the posts - good and bad - slanted or not. I need to get a broad overview of the area for our family's upcoming relocation to the area. I have been wondering about Hendersonville and how affordable it is for what we are looking for in a house. Also, a major concern is how the schools are. We have a 1st grader and an up and coming kindergarten in another year so this is a big factor for us. Thanks for all the info. I am gleaning on Hendersonville! The lakes sound LOVELY! Is it possible to get a home right on the lake with dock access for under 425K? We are looking for 2700+ sq. feet with 3-4 BR's. Brick would be ideal. Any input?
Tennessee schools as a whole are not considered great. With that being said, Hendersonville is known for good public schools. A few examples are Indian Lake Elementary and Madison Creek (which despite the name is in Hendersonville). Check them out online, you can get schools' grades.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
I'm not sure. Someone in another thread posted saying that Madison and Hendersonville where pretty much the same as far as crime. Here is the quote...
Originally Posted by SouthernStar
The bend is a beautiful area. I thought I heard something awhile back about investors trying to buy it up and develop it, but I haven't heard anything since. Sadly, they'll probably get it eventually. They usually do, but I hope not!!! People who live there complain about traffic being dangerous on that road.

Apparently, crime is subjective. I think Madison is awful. I live about five minutes from "downtown" Madison. I've seen a robbery outside Toys R Us (and heard of several more), robberies outside of Best Buy, armed robberies at the mall in the middle of the day...My husband's office is in a strip plaza in Madison and businesses on both side of him have been robbed at gunpoint. Shooting outside of Chuck E Cheese, assaults/robberies outside of restaurants...I do feel unsafe in Madison, and for good reason. However, you could do all of your shopping and business somewhere else. Sadly, there are very few "safe" towns anymore. Crime from Madison is starting to spill over into Hendersonville more and more (police officer friend's words, not mine).

I'd say you aren't any worse off in that area than in Hendersonville,Goodlettsville, Gallatin,etc...And it is beautiful!

I'm sorry, you misunderstood. I was talking about a particular area, specifically the bend which the original poster was talking about.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt about how Madison is _perceived._ I hear it all the time from people who don't live here, and are surprised that I do. They think there are shootouts on every corner, that anyone who lives here is in daily danger for their lives, and that no one speaks English. That's simply not true.

What I do have a problem with is when people make broad, unsupported statements about Madison. This only feeds that false perception that Madison as a whole is a terrible place to live. It hurts your friend's property values, and the property values of the rest of us who live in pretty nice areas of town.
AAAhhhh, you see there's the problem. You are ignoring all facts about most of Madison because it might hurt your pocketbook. What is good for your property values is not always good for someone looking for honest information. Neighborhoods do not exist in a bubble. Most of us want to get gas and shop near where we live. It isn't fair or accurate to say Madison just has a bad rap because you haven't had drive byes in your particular neighborhood. And I gave instances of specific things that have occured in Madison, most of them in the last year. Do you deny that they occured?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:

AAAhhhh, you see there's the problem. You are ignoring all facts about most of Madison because it might hurt your pocketbook. What is good for your property values is not always good for someone looking for honest information. Neighborhoods do not exist in a bubble. Most of us want to get gas and shop near where we live. It isn't fair or accurate to say Madison just has a bad rap because you haven't had drive byes in your particular neighborhood. And I gave instances of specific things that have occured in Madison, most of them in the last year. Do you deny that they occured?

I spoke with a few people in the area before I moved into my home. They all said 'it's great', 'safe area', 'no problems', etc... Well, we have had numerous assaults and break ins around here in the last two years. I was telling those friends about an attempted break in at my house when i was home and bemoaning the fact that I can't leave my windows open to catch a breeze. Their response? Oh no, you CAN'T leave your windows open ever around here.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,434,810 times
Quote:
Instead, we're in a safe, working class, integrated neighborhood.
Sounds like an oxymoron. I have friends that bought in East Nashville because of its "personality" and "diversity". They all regret it. They cough up at least $50 per month on home security systems, their cars have been broken into repeatedly, they have to drive miles away to somewhere more safe if they want to take a walk or a jog at night, etc. I don't have any of those problems. In fact, I've never seen a police officer on my street and I've been here over a year.

I understand that Madison and East Nashville are two different places, but would venture to say that over 75% of Madison is unsafe for raising a family. What I've seen of "The Bend" is nice, but most of Madison is a dump that is infested with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals. I'm sorry if publicizing that bit of information hurts your property values, but people who are new to the area deserve to be informed.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM

www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean | Nashville news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Nashville,

It's not showing up, but if you scroll down on the bottom right you can click on a map of crimes in the metro nashville area.

SoSearch

Murders decline 10% in Nashville - Nashville, Tennessee - Friday, 02/22/08 - Tennessean.com

Quote:
North sees more crimes

The only precinct with an overall increase in reported crime last year was the North Precinct, which includes Madison as well as the Fisk University area. Robberies rose 8 percent in the area, according to police statistics. The number of aggravated assaults, burglaries and larcenies also grew.

Gina Coleman has seen all that before in her Haynes Park neighborhood. A murder took place on her street a couple years ago, and many of the young men hanging around the neighborhoods were in gangs or wanted to be. Coleman, president of the neighborhood association, said her neighborhood banded together and demanded action. Simple steps like 'no parking' signs and calling the police department on suspicious people have made a real difference.

She knows that the criminals haven't changed their ways; they've just moved to a more reticent neighborhood.

"There is a high tolerance, and people are too fearful to do anything," Coleman said. "They're not saying anything, and they're not coming together. They don't know how."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville