U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,789 times

Advertisements

you can look in Gallatin and there are a few older homes that need alot of repair in Hendersonville. However lake homes are still pricey!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 24,520 times
Default pediatrician info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
The market is good. There was never really a bubble here, so prices are still increasing at a very sustainable rate every year. For example, you can get a 4 bedroom/3 bathroom fairly new home in a very good area for under 250K. Or you can get a bit of a smaller home, but still very nice and in a nice area, for around 180k.

It is a wonderful place to raise kids. There are many great churches with lots of opportunities to get involved. There are several MOPS and other moms groups, so it is very easy to meet new people. Activities for the kids are very affordable. If you want them in mothers day out it is 120-130 per month per child for 9-2or3 two days per week. Pretty good deal! There is soccer, baseball, basketball, dance/gymnastics, horseback riding...Awesome parks, including Moss Wright Park (which might actually be right over the Goodlettsville line), Drakes Creek, and I can't remember the name of the wood park but my kids LOVE it. Great people, beautiful area, good schools... There are still some great mom and pop places. The people at my grocery store go out of their way to be helpful, the folks at a local breakfast place have cheap prices and GREAT customer service , and I've had great experiences with local nurseries (for plants, not kids) with people just going above and beyond. Support our local small business owners, they are what give a town it's charm and character! If you tell me the price range you are looking at I can give you a better idea of taxes. My home is valued at around 250k and the taxes were 1600 this past year. You can look up both the Hendersonville city tax and the Sumner county tax and calculate. I did that before we moved and it was spot on.

Also, if you need any suggestions on pediatricians, dentists, restaurants or whatever, let me know!
We will also be new to Hendersonville. My husband was transferred and we plan to move in July. My seven year old takes a daily medication so I do need to find a pediatrician soon after arrival. My son needs braces but we put it off the last few months because we knew we would be moving. We are from Chattanooga so the move is not that far from our hometown. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:11 PM

77 posts, read 255,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtonick&mo View Post
We will also be new to Hendersonville. My husband was transferred and we plan to move in July. My seven year old takes a daily medication so I do need to find a pediatrician soon after arrival. My son needs braces but we put it off the last few months because we knew we would be moving. We are from Chattanooga so the move is not that far from our hometown. Any info would be appreciated.
Hi momtonick,
When we were there looking around our realtor gave us the name of an ortho. I need to hunt for it but if I find it I will PM you. That was in March I think. We are also wanting to move there but it won't be as soon as you.
Jengal

Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,740 times
Thumbs up Lived in Hendersonville and loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
My family and I are looking to relocate to Hendersonville in June of 2008. We have visited only once and absolutely loved it. We live on Long Island right now, and it is just getting worse and worse here (affordable housing, taxes, crime, ect.) Does anyone have any input on how the market has been in Hendersonville? Also I would love to hear any input from anyone else who has recently relocated to this area or anything anyone has to share about Hendersonville..good or bad.
Thanks
Dear mom2three,
I'd just posted my comment to another person regarding my experience in Hendersonville, Tennessee. I'll post a copy of my reply to her here, as it covers some of the questions you have here. I moved from there in 1995, but would move back again if I can talk my husband into it. Here's my reply to the other poster:

Livvy,
I lived in Hendersonville, TN for several years, and as a single mom raised my daughters there while I worked in the Critical Care Unit of the local hospital. The only reason I am not still there is that I remarried and moved out of state! Great little town, basically a bedroom community for Nashville, which is 20 miles away (I also worked at Vanderbilt University Hospital in the Emergency Room). Wonderful people there, very friendly. The local high school (Hendersonville High) has numerous programs that encourage students to get involved and learn new skills. One of my daughters was involved in DECA in high school, and succeeded in making it to the national level in her division. Nashville has an International airport that your husband could easily fly in/out of. Very low crime rate in that area (as opposed to Nashville proper), and I felt quite safe living on my own and raising my children there. There are several universities in Nashville, and a community college in Gallatin. You will be close to the mountains--about 2-2 1/2 hr. from Knoxville where the Smoky Mountains are (Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg are just down the road from Knoxville), and you will be surrounded by Old Hickory Lake, with plenty of camping/swimming areas close by. The area is rich with history, and you know Nashville is the Country Music Capital of the World. Many celebrities live(d) in the Hendersonville/Gallatin area (Johnny and June Carter Cash, Conway Twitty [was a member of my church!], Roy Orbison, Reba MacIntire, Barbara Mandrell, the Oak Ridge Boys, Bill Monroe, Clint Black, just to name a few!). Get used to seeing them shopping in the local stores...many times we'd see them in the local Kroger's, or Baskin-Robbins, or shopping for western boots for their next show. I'd be there today if I could get my husband to move; much preferable to the Atlanta, GA area we live in now. Hendersonville has much to offer if a small-town lifestyle is what you are looking for (pop. about 40,000 so it's not too small). I still have friends that live there, and I really do miss being there. I hope this helps. You can get stats by googling it, or go directly to the city website at: [URL="http://www.hendersonvilletn.com/"]www.hendersonvilletn.com[/URL] and find info about what's there. It's worth your time to check it out, maybe take a vacation and fly out to spend a week there, just to familiarize yourself with the slower pace. Hope this has helped, and wish you well.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM

488 posts, read 1,076,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedradio View Post
Where can you find older homes on the lake? ... homes that need work but at a reasonable price.
We just drove every bit of the shoreline we could find and looked for "FOR SALE" signs. Don't know what to tell you about reasonable price.
Keep in mind, a waterfront lot with a dock may go for twice as much as the non-waterfront lot across the street.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM

187 posts, read 566,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persia48 View Post
Dear mom2three,
I'd just posted my comment to another person regarding my experience in Hendersonville, Tennessee. I'll post a copy of my reply to her here, as it covers some of the questions you have here. I moved from there in 1995, but would move back again if I can talk my husband into it. Here's my reply to the other poster:

Livvy,
I lived in Hendersonville, TN for several years, and as a single mom raised my daughters there while I worked in the Critical Care Unit of the local hospital. The only reason I am not still there is that I remarried and moved out of state! Great little town, basically a bedroom community for Nashville, which is 20 miles away (I also worked at Vanderbilt University Hospital in the Emergency Room). Wonderful people there, very friendly. The local high school (Hendersonville High) has numerous programs that encourage students to get involved and learn new skills. One of my daughters was involved in DECA in high school, and succeeded in making it to the national level in her division. Nashville has an International airport that your husband could easily fly in/out of. Very low crime rate in that area (as opposed to Nashville proper), and I felt quite safe living on my own and raising my children there. There are several universities in Nashville, and a community college in Gallatin. You will be close to the mountains--about 2-2 1/2 hr. from Knoxville where the Smoky Mountains are (Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg are just down the road from Knoxville), and you will be surrounded by Old Hickory Lake, with plenty of camping/swimming areas close by. The area is rich with history, and you know Nashville is the Country Music Capital of the World. Many celebrities live(d) in the Hendersonville/Gallatin area (Johnny and June Carter Cash, Conway Twitty [was a member of my church!], Roy Orbison, Reba MacIntire, Barbara Mandrell, the Oak Ridge Boys, Bill Monroe, Clint Black, just to name a few!). Get used to seeing them shopping in the local stores...many times we'd see them in the local Kroger's, or Baskin-Robbins, or shopping for western boots for their next show. I'd be there today if I could get my husband to move; much preferable to the Atlanta, GA area we live in now. Hendersonville has much to offer if a small-town lifestyle is what you are looking for (pop. about 40,000 so it's not too small). I still have friends that live there, and I really do miss being there. I hope this helps. You can get stats by googling it, or go directly to the city website at: www.hendersonvilletn.com and find info about what's there. It's worth your time to check it out, maybe take a vacation and fly out to spend a week there, just to familiarize yourself with the slower pace. Hope this has helped, and wish you well.
Thanks Persia48! We are making the move next month.. I am very excited. Can't wait to call Hendersonville "HOME"

Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 PM

45 posts, read 112,512 times
Default Hendersonville or Franklin?

We may be making a move to TN in the next few months. I have been researching places online and both Franklin and Hendersonville seem nice. Can you tell me how they compare as far as crime, population, amminities housing, schools, family friendly etc?

Which is better Hendersonville or Franklin?
How severe are the winters?

I know that city-data has some of this info but I was hoping to get some infor straight from people that live there.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,479,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgatr View Post
We may be making a move to TN in the next few months. I have been researching places online and both Franklin and Hendersonville seem nice. Can you tell me how they compare as far as crime, population, amminities housing, schools, family friendly etc?

Which is better Hendersonville or Franklin?
How severe are the winters?

I know that city-data has some of this info but I was hoping to get some infor straight from people that live there.

Thanks
Crime - basically the same (Very Safe!!). Franklin may have a tiny bit more due to the mall's presence but that's pretty localized.

Population - Hendersonville is about 50,000 and Franklin is about 60,000

Amenities - Franklin has more shopping and restaurants. Hendersonville has the lake and a great parks system.

Housing - You get a bit more for your dollar in Hendersonville but both cities have about the same housing stock from 2 bedroom starter homes to multi million dollar estates. Franklin has a larger selection on the higher end side.

Schools - Williamson Co (Franklin) is raked as having the best schools in the state. Hendersonville has good schools too.

Family Friendly - Both are extremely family friendly and are mostly comprised of young families.

You'll probably need to visit both to determine which is better for you. Each has its own unique attributes. Franklin has the historic downtown district, Hendersonville has the lake....etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville