Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times

Advertisements

Trying to come up with a local restaurant to try tonight for date night for hubs and I-preferably Mid-town, West End. We've done PM, ChaChas, Taco Mamacita, Jackson's, Local Taco, Southside, Tavern, Whiskey Kitchen, Urban Flat...any ideas along these lines that aren't too expensive? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I know you said Midtown or West End, but about 3 years ago my wife and I started exploring East Nashville and couldn't believe how many cool locally owned restaurants there are. It's no secret, obviously, but we've been pleasantly suprised at every one we've visited. I'd recommend Marche Artisan Foods (casual, but still intimate), or its more upscale sister restaurant Margot Cafe. For something a little more eclectic and casual, I'd definitely recommend The Family Wash. FYI, their website isn't the best in the world, but their menu is great...lots of pub comfort food but very well done. You have to try the shepherd's pie or meatloaf. They also have awesome musicians that usually start around 8 or so. Family Wash has really become our go-to place for dates...its fun and a great place to just hang out without pretentiousness.

There are lots of other suggestions on the East side, but those are 3 of our favorites.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM

The Family Wash sounds like us! Hubs really enjoys English pub style food, too. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Absolutely, I hope that'll be a winner. Let me know what you thought, even if it doesn't (for some reason) live up to expectations. Here's Gwyneth Paltrow's review (about halfway down). They've got a fantastic beer selection and they pour a proper Guinness. I also would recommend either the brie w/jalapeno jelly or the homemade potato chips with gargonzola for an appetizer. Honestly, I've been there a dozen or more times and brought several friends there over time and I've never had a bad experience or had anyone say the food was less than excellent. I hope you have the same experience.

FYI, the location is a little off-the-beaten path on the corner of Eastland and Greenwood. GPS is helpful. But if it feels like you're in the middle of a neighborhood and not near any major commerce, then you're probably getting close to it. It used to be a laundromat back in the day (hence the name of the restaurant). And if it's available, be sure to ask for the corner booth on the other side of the lobby/wall/plexiglass...it's a great place for 2 to sit. Family Wash, to me, is the kind of place where it seems like you're in on a secret. It's a real neighborhood place, but they're very welcoming to all. A great little gem.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM

The Family Wash last night=success! Hubs was a little leery as we drive through being our first time venturing into East Nashville, but relaxed when we saw how many people were out and about and saw the nice renovated homes. The FOOD was the winner of the night! I had the meat loaf and he the bangers and mash-also had the Brie with jalapeño jelly. Yum, thanks again for the rec! We passed Artisan, and I want to try that, too.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM

91 posts, read 203,036 times
As mentioned already if you can get past the "sketchiness" of East Nashville, the neighborhood had so much to offer!

We lived there for awhile and learned that it really isn't as it looks in a lot of spots. I think it gets a bad wrap because it's not ritzy like the west end, but I would choose East Nashville restaurants over so many other places in Nashville. Also the sense of community is so much better. Passing people on an evening walk and they say hi or even strike up a small conversation. I feel like I'm in a little quaint town in East Nashville while the rest of the city makes me feel more isolated and I tend to keep to myself more.

Italia has great pizza. The new 5 points pizza is getting great reviews too.
Drifters is a great bbq/bar atmosphere. Beyond the Edge is great little place too!
I've not tried Batter'd and Fry'd, but hear good things.
Check out Coopers on Porter it's a great little pub. Ugly Mugs has great coffee and I love the ambiance of the coffee shop, across the street Portland brew is great too. Silly Goose gets rave reviews all the time. Pied piper eatery is really good, and check out the pied piper for ice cream too! I love going to Mitchells deli on Sunday mornings for breakfast!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
The Family Wash last night=success! Hubs was a little leery as we drive through being our first time venturing into East Nashville, but relaxed when we saw how many people were out and about and saw the nice renovated homes. The FOOD was the winner of the night! I had the meat loaf and he the bangers and mash-also had the Brie with jalapeño jelly. Yum, thanks again for the rec! We passed Artisan, and I want to try that, too.
Glad you enjoyed it! For probably the first half dozen visits I didn't order anything but Shepherd's Pie because it's so fantastic. Finally I ventured out and tried the meatloaf, now it's all I eat. One of these days I'm going to venture out again and get bangers & mash.

But I'm so glad you had a good time and a good date night. Hopefully you will go back.

I should clarify my post above, (thanks to artemis) Family Wash is on the corner of Greenwood and Porter...not Eastland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: