U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

Hi, 25 year old here from NYC looking to to move to NAshville. Want to set up an at-home recording studio so I'm trying to find an area with cheaper space so I can afford get a good sounding live room with high-ceilings and enough space. Some-thing like converted warehouses or lofts, similar to Bushwick or Red Hook if you've ever been to NYC. Any tips of where to look would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM

3,731 posts, read 6,230,311 times
You're going to rent a place? And will you just be recording yourself OR running a business out of the apartment because there are local regulations about home businesses, not to mention the neighbors. LOTS of competition here for recording studios, home based or otherwise. What is your budget?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM

374 posts, read 612,051 times
Here's a building I know of that's pretty affordable but if you were going to live there you'd probably need to do some remodeling (it's still pretty industrial--mostly artist studios).

South Nashville Life: May Hosiery Mill

Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,927,767 times
I don't mean to be a downer here, but if you're looking for a neighborhood even remotely similar to Bushwick or Red Hook, you're just not going to find anything like it in Nashville.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,525,205 times
Rolling Mill Hill: Artist lofts to be built on downtown Nashville's riverfront - Nashville Business Journal

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM

374 posts, read 612,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
That's a great idea. Wonder how they weed out the non-artists wanting to apply. "Sorry ma'am, I don't care if your aunt Gertrude thinks your toaster cozies are art..."

Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 PM

177 posts, read 445,017 times
All these renovation projects you see in so many cities to create "artist" live-work spaces are a farce -- they "weed out" artists by pricing them too high for artists to be able to afford. It's all about selling the brand new lofts as a trendy, hip place to live for yuppies even as they drive the artists in the neighborhood out with gentrification.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,476,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
All these renovation projects you see in so many cities to create "artist" live-work spaces are a farce -- they "weed out" artists by pricing them too high for artists to be able to afford. It's all about selling the brand new lofts as a trendy, hip place to live for yuppies even as they drive the artists in the neighborhood out with gentrification.
Well... the way NYC artists did it was they moved into commercial lofts in cheap/bad neighborhoods and lived in them even though they weren't allowed to due to zoning laws. Enough artists were doing that and fought the consequential evictions, so NYC made a special artist loft law allowing the commercial lofts to be used both as a residence and studio if the occupant was an artist (and this had to be certified). Artists paved their own way and carved out a nice enclave for themselves in the worst of neighborhoods- they were pioneers and did this out of necessity. Artists don't have a lot of money to throw around, it can be a very impoverished existence.

Lofts aren't built for artists. Artists convert industrial space for themselves. However, the artistic life and budget has been misrepresented. The NYC artist lofts are in neighborhoods that have gentrified, largely thanks to the artists who transformed a gritty environment to a desirable one, and they are priced so high that artists can't afford to purchase them anymore. Wealthy people caught on to the secret that artists knew for years: commercial loft spaces have huge windows, lots of light, and can be re-modeled into something stunning to live in. Now it's popular to live in a loft, and the trend has caught on nationwide.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 PM

177 posts, read 445,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Lofts aren't built for artists. Artists convert industrial space for themselves.
Exactly my point. But these developments try to make it sound like all the artists are moving into their overpriced renovations, when the artists in any city tend to convert commercial space in less than desirable neighborhoods as you said.

I'm just trying to find out what that neighborhood is in Nashville. IN Detroit it was easy to find...it was pretty much all of Detroit. Oh how I miss my antique clawfoot tub rigged up on blocks so the pipes could run downhill to the drain. And my loft over a gallery where I could say hello to all the homeless people next door at the mission, lol.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,476,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
Exactly my point. But these developments try to make it sound like all the artists are moving into their overpriced renovations, when the artists in any city tend to convert commercial space in less than desirable neighborhoods as you said.

I'm just trying to find out what that neighborhood is in Nashville.
Oh yeah I was agreeing with you. The whole artist loft thing for sale that you mention is creative advertizing on the real estate company's part, and a bit misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville