U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,977 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at a house that backs up to the railroad tracks in Sylvan Park. Does anyone know how often the train lines run and what times of day?

I'm referring specifically to the CSX line that splits off heading northwest -- the one that divides Sylvan Park from Sylvan Heights (not the line that crosses the bridge over Murphy Road and heads towards Belle Meade).

Any help is much appreciated...thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 6,491,751 times
I don't have an answer to your question BUT with real estate nothing is a given. The golf course you live on might get sold for condo development. The airport might build a new runway that brings flights over your house. The farm next door might sell out and a WalMart and Chuck E. Cheese will go up.

The train line behind that house might have one train a week. But the price of gas might go to $8 a gallon and rail freight will come back in vogue and there might be 10 trains a day.

You just never know and you can't predict. By the same token, they might turn it into a bike path!

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM

933 posts, read 2,585,865 times
I lived on Westlawn Drive for a bit and ended up loving the train going by...I'd wake up for a second only to get lulled back to sleep by the train sounds. But I wasn't by a street crossing (so no horns were involved) that could definitly affect your experience.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,395 times
i would love to know also about the noise. i know there are no crossings so the whistle should not blow, but how often do trains come by??

Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,959,162 times
The main line that crosses Murphy and heads out to White Bridge, Bellevue, etc is the old Windy Memphis line. Freight can appear at any direction & any time of day. You may see action in the Belle Meade-Highway 100 area most often. There is enough activity here to be alert & never stop on any of the track crossings.

The line that curves around Sylvan Park & cross Charlotte at about 41's is an industrial type. AFAIK trains operate as needed during the day. I have only seen a few short trains crossing Charlotte, usually about 4 pm. As long as nobody sits on the track there should be no need for concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville