Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

hi, thinking of moving to Nashville. we are a professional family, Im southern from charleston my wife a yankee from upstate ny.
we are pretty normal, middle class family but of course abnormal in our racial make up. We are conservative religiously and politicially but wonder if conservative nashville or progressive for that matter, will accept us?

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 AM

215 posts, read 681,907 times
Yes, but I would suggest considering urban Nashville first.

Last edited by goodman2; 09-27-2011 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Needed To Change Something

Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
You should have no problems.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times
Not at all. The locals in Nashville are very judgemental.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 PM

21 posts, read 54,287 times
thanks for all the upfront and kind words. bp300, why are they very judgemental?? what would you say makes them judgemental?

I got into Vandy grad school 20+ years ago and loved the area but didnt go there instead going to NY.

also, someone said stay in Urban Nashville--what areas are those?

we of course dont mind living in the city, but not in bad parts of the city. We are pretty conservative so would fit in a more middle class, area better.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack66 View Post
What I meant was anything within the city limits of Nashville (e.g. Green Hills, Hillsboro Village, South Nashville, West Nashville).

Last edited by goodman2; 09-27-2011 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Needed To Change Something

Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Not at all. The locals in Nashville are very judgemental.
You mean like.....you?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack66 View Post

we of course dont mind living in the city, but not in bad parts of the city. We are pretty conservative so would fit in a more middle class, area better.

I think you would be fine in most areas of town. The urban areas are more progressive, yes, but that doesn't mean that you will have a hard time in the suburbs. The suburbs are predominately white, for the most part, and conservative. That doesn't mean that they are racist and judgmental as some might suggest. Intolerance can be found in any environment, to be honest. There is no guarantee that your neighbors will accept you and your family...but on the same token, even in the more conservative white suburbs, most folks seem to be pretty accepting of all races. Most would probably care more about your politics than the color of your skin in those areas. They aren't backwoods.

In general, you might find Nashville city limits more inviting for your particular liking...but that doesn't mean you should rule out the suburbs or the not-as-urbanized areas of Nashville.

If you are looking for a solid middle class area with a fair mix of diversity, but a more suburban type feel (goodman already gave some good suggestions on where to look in the more dense/urbanized areas)...you might want to look into Bellevue and the Crieve Hall/Nippers Corner area. That said, don't rule out other areas like Franklin and Hendersonville. Take a visit with your family, and see what they feel most comfortable with.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think you would be fine in most areas of town. The urban areas are more progressive, yes, but that doesn't mean that you will have a hard time in the suburbs. The suburbs are predominately white, for the most part, and conservative. That doesn't mean that they are racist and judgmental as some might suggest. Intolerance can be found in any environment, to be honest. There is no guarantee that your neighbors will accept you and your family...but on the same token, even in the more conservative white suburbs, most folks seem to be pretty accepting of all races. Most would probably care more about your politics than the color of your skin in those areas. They aren't backwoods.

In general, you might find Nashville city limits more inviting for your particular liking...but that doesn't mean you should rule out the suburbs or the not-as-urbanized areas of Nashville.

If you are looking for a solid middle class area with a fair mix of diversity, but a more suburban type feel (goodman already gave some good suggestions on where to look in the more dense/urbanized areas)...you might want to look into Bellevue and the Crieve Hall/Nippers Corner area. That said, don't rule out other areas like Franklin and Hendersonville. Take a visit with your family, and see what they feel most comfortable with.

Thank yall, i grew up in suburban neighborhoods of charleston sc, dallas tx,where my family was the only black family, so i m comfortable in that environment. we just look for good neighbors-i know they may not want to be friends, thats ok i respect that, we are looking for nice tree lined streets, good private schools,(though i love going to public hs football games), golf courses, good libraries, parks, decent shopping areas though not necessarily malls, and a good baptist church. It could be within the city, an older part of town with historic homes or bungalows, or in a traditional suburb.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
The suburbs are predominately white, for the most part, and conservative. That doesn't mean that they are racist and judgmental as some might suggest.
I'm not sure what you were implying by misusing the word "Racist" but maybe you were trying to refer to "racially offensive" behavior.
Quote:
There is no guarantee that your neighbors will accept you and your family...but on the same token, even in the more conservative white suburbs, most folks seem to be pretty accepting of all races.
Things can appear as they're not, there is the pretending to be accepting in order to appear politically correct.
Quote:
That said, don't rule out other areas like Franklin and Hendersonville. Take a visit with your family, and see what they feel most comfortable with.
Franklin I'm sure would be a good fit, but I still can't understand whenever these type of threads come up why Hendersonville is always mentioned so quickly? In this regard it's not any better than Mt. Juliet.

Last edited by goodman2; 09-28-2011 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Needed To Change Something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville