Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

56 posts, read 131,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Meh, maybe you just haven't found it yet. I guess there's tradeoff's with most things. You certainly won't be shoveling yourself out in the winter like you would in Buffalo. Did you try whole foods yet?
Haha true! But there's nothing like a Buffalo winter! I'm sure I'll be dying in summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
Cost Plus World Market carries a good variety of beers and lots of seasonal.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but while you are talking about beer available down there, is there Oberon from Bell's brewery or any Bell's brewery beers people have come across in Nashville? Bell's is in Kalamazoo, MI and has many brews throughout the year that are so good. I know they've made it out to the east coast, but didn't know how far south they distribute. I am looking forward to trying Yazoo brewery when we move down though. From what I've read, they know what they're doing.

Thanks,

Andy
No Bell's, unfortunately. But I've heard that you can find it as close as Bowling Green. Haven't checked for myself, though.

For beer enthusiasts: check out Frugal MacDougals, Midtown Wine and Spirits, and Cool Springs Wine and Spirits. Those three places tend to have an excellent selection of craft brews (at least for this area), and a knowledgeable staff.

Just remember that in Tennessee, any beer over 6.3% alcohol must be sold in a liquor store...any under cannot be. All three of these places have both a liquor store and beer store component.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 AM

216 posts, read 346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
No Bell's, unfortunately. But I've heard that you can find it as close as Bowling Green. Haven't checked for myself, though.

For beer enthusiasts: check out Frugal MacDougals, Midtown Wine and Spirits, and Cool Springs Wine and Spirits. Those three places tend to have an excellent selection of craft brews (at least for this area), and a knowledgeable staff.

Just remember that in Tennessee, any beer over 6.3% alcohol must be sold in a liquor store...any under cannot be. All three of these places have both a liquor store and beer store component.
Nashvols, you're freakin awesome. I tried to bump your rep, but it wouldn't let me - told me to spread rep around elswhere. I always appreciate your advice to others; as it also helps those looking on with similar questions they haven't asked. When you mention Bowling Green, you do mean KY right?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

Interesting, I didn't know that. I just checked an old bottle and Pumpking is 8.6 abv. So check a liquor store. I'd be happy to bring a bottle or two, but keep in mind, they run about 10 bucks a bottle up here.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 7,956 times
I live in the bowling green area right now. Have checked a few places for southern tier but have had no luck. One place, chucks, which is right off 65 was supposed to start carrying it a few weeks ago but they have been having a problem with the distributor in the area, which I believe he said is in Louisville. He doesn't know when the problem will b resolved unfortunately.
As far as bells goes, I'm not sure about that one. Next time I'm in the store I can take a look and let you know for sure.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 PM

216 posts, read 346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldenl View Post
I live in the bowling green area right now. Have checked a few places for southern tier but have had no luck. One place, chucks, which is right off 65 was supposed to start carrying it a few weeks ago but they have been having a problem with the distributor in the area, which I believe he said is in Louisville. He doesn't know when the problem will b resolved unfortunately.
As far as bells goes, I'm not sure about that one. Next time I'm in the store I can take a look and let you know for sure.
Cool - thanks for the Bell's lookout. It really is the smoothest best tasting pale I've had since it came out in the mid 90's, but I'm sure there are great alternates in the Nashville area I am yet unaware of or been able to try since I'm not down there yet.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Nashvols, you're freakin awesome. I tried to bump your rep, but it wouldn't let me - told me to spread rep around elswhere. I always appreciate your advice to others; as it also helps those looking on with similar questions they haven't asked. When you mention Bowling Green, you do mean KY right?
No worries about the rep. It's just another number, right?

Yes, I mean Bowling Green, KY. I honestly can't remember the name of the store...but a beer enthusiast friend mentioned it. I'll try to ask him next time I get the chance.

I actually got a small batch of Bell's recently at Jungle Jim's just outside of Cincinnati...which is a great place to get...well...just about anything. If you are ever in that area (Fairfield, OH), I highly, highly suggest you stop by. It's a massive store (bigger than a Walmart Supercenter...I'm not kidding), so allow some time. It's not the type of place you just stop in, grab something, and go. It's a fun experience.

As for Bell's getting here...unfortunately our weird (and archaic, imo) alcohol laws, I've heard that they won't be distributing here anytime soon. The law that requires the split makes it hard for breweries to offer all of their line in one store...especially the microbrews. It's one thing if you're talking about the super brews of 10%+ ABV, but it's quite common to find popular 6.5-8% ABV beers from microbrews. If you want this law changed (like I do), be sure to let your voice be heard the next time the wine in grocery stores legislation comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_ny View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. I just checked an old bottle and Pumpking is 8.6 abv. So check a liquor store. I'd be happy to bring a bottle or two, but keep in mind, they run about 10 bucks a bottle up here.
Is it a 22oz? If so, that's not overly extreme (maybe a little pricey). If it's 10$ per 12oz...well that's a bit extreme...that runs about the same rate as Dogfishead 120 IPA, which is an astonishing 18% ABV.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Nashvols, yea it's a 22 oz. for some reason they don't carry it any other way.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Cool - thanks for the Bell's lookout. It really is the smoothest best tasting pale I've had since it came out in the mid 90's, but I'm sure there are great alternates in the Nashville area I am yet unaware of or been able to try since I'm not down there yet.
Chuck's Wine And Spirits - Bowling Green, KY - Reviews - BeerAdvocate

Chuck's Wine and Spirits

That's where my friend told me you can find Bell's.

Also, Nashville's beer market has vastly improved in the past 5-6 years. Yazoo and Blackstone are decent local varieties that you can buy in the grocery store....I would also suggest Bosco's and Cool Springs Brewery, both solid brew pubs.

I would say right now that the market has sort of stagnated, though. After a huge expansion with all kinds of varieties becoming available, there has been little movement in the way of getting new beers here (the two I wish we had most are Bell's and Deschutes). And Nashville hasn't seen the beer explosion that Asheville, NC or Huntsville, AL have seen...but some effects have been felt. The beer festivals are becoming more and more popular. I hope the eventually change the alcohol laws to make it easier for local breweries to start up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville