Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 01:45 PM

131 posts, read 648,426 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks!

I visited Nashville in April of 2005. Frankly, although I enjoyed walking around the downtown area as I took in all the sights (Or as many as I possibly could in one weekend), I did not see or experience any traces of SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. Nobody said hello to me, and when I said hello to a woman who was crossing the street as I approached the intersection where she was located, this individual not only remained silent but gave me a dirty look. Believe me, it was her problem, not mine as I acted in a respectful and polite manner.

Did I arrive at a bad time? Or are the locals usually absent from the downtown area once Friday at 5PM arrives? ON THE OTHER HAND, FOLKS I VISITED THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE CITY (I didn't have time to check out the area SOUTH OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA) AND TRULY EXPERIENCED SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. I held the door open for several ladies and they were all very gracious. So, my first trip to Nashville was not so bad, but walking through the downtown area was ALMOST LIKE BEING BACK IN BALTIMORE WHERE I LIVED FOR 12 YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO INDIANAPOLIS. OH, I intend to head back down to Nashville for another visit because I am giving some thought to moving to the area. Folks, your feedback and comments are most welcome. One last thing, ARE THERE ANY PLACES SOUTH OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA, ANY AREAS OF INTEREST THAT YOU FOLKS CAN RECOMMEND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 02:14 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
When you say "areas of interest", are you talking about potential places to move to, or interesting things to see?

Edgehill is a nice old neighborhood south of downtown; a lot of the older houses have been renovated. Fort Negley is nice place to stop and see; there's a great view of downtown from the hills here. Fort Negley was a Union fort during the Civil War and, if I'm correct, at one time the largest fort in the country. Wedgewood Avenue is kind of the antiques district of Nashville. I never had much luck finding anything, but if you're into that sort of thing it might be worth visiting. Of course, the new symphony hall is south of the main downtown area. There are other things of interest, those are just a few off the top of my pointy little head.

Last edited by alleycat; 08-25-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
When you say "areas of interest", are you talking about potential places to move to, or interesting things to see?

Edgehill is a nice old neighborhood south of downtown; a lot of the older houses have been renovated. Fort Negley is nice place to stop and see; there's a great view of downtown from the hills here. Fort Negley was a Union fort during the Civil War and, if I'm correct, at one time the largest fort in the country. Wedgewood Avenue is kind of the antigues district of Nashville. I never had much luck finding anything, but if you're into that sort of thing it might be worth visiting. Of course, the new symphony hall is south of the main downtown area. There are other things of interest, those are just a few off the top of my pointy little head.
Thanks for the reply. When I made mention of areas of interest, I meant interesting things to see, AND potential places to move to. Your reply is appreciated and I will give you a positive rating shortly. Have a good one.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Most of that area is older residential and light commerical neighborhoods, so there's not going to be a lot of "grand" things to see.

Here's some other points of interest in various parts of Nashville (not just south): the Hermitage (home of Andrew Jackson), Centennial Park, Bicentennial Mall, Warner Park, the Frist Center (there might be an exhibit on worth seeing), Cheekwood (prettier in the spring though), Nashville Zoo, Belle Meade (see how Al Gore lives), the Opryland Hotel (just to visit), the Hermitage Hotel downtown (Minnesota Fat used to live there . . . you could let him hustle you for $10), the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Bluebird Cafe, Old Hickory and Priest Lakes, the Union Station Hotel (used to be a train station), Radnor Lake, downtown Franklin, Belle Meade Mansion (I find the old slave quarters and the horse stables the most interesting part).

Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
You probably encountered transplants from other areas :-)

Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Yeah, a bunch of people from Baltimore were visiting that weekend.

(just kidding!)

Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 PM

162 posts, read 550,768 times
Quote:
Here's some other points of interest in various parts of Nashville
Great post Allecat. Follow this post and you'll have no choice but to love it here Unless of course its over the last few weeks of miserable heat... then just stay hidrated and call for help

Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, a bunch of people from Baltimore were visiting that weekend.

(just kidding!)
You made my day with that one! Ha, Ha, Ha! Thanks my friend!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Yep, I suspected that. That lady I said hello to on the street was DEFINITELY A TRANSPLANT.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

122 posts, read 338,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post
Hi Folks!

I visited Nashville in April of 2005. Frankly, although I enjoyed walking around the downtown area as I took in all the sights (Or as many as I possibly could in one weekend), I did not see or experience any traces of SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. Nobody said hello to me, and when I said hello to a woman who was crossing the street as I approached the intersection where she was located, this individual not only remained silent but gave me a dirty look. Believe me, it was her problem, not mine as I acted in a respectful and polite manner.

Did I arrive at a bad time? Or are the locals usually absent from the downtown area once Friday at 5PM arrives? ON THE OTHER HAND, FOLKS I VISITED THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE CITY (I didn't have time to check out the area SOUTH OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA) AND TRULY EXPERIENCED SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. I held the door open for several ladies and they were all very gracious. So, my first trip to Nashville was not so bad, but walking through the downtown area was ALMOST LIKE BEING BACK IN BALTIMORE WHERE I LIVED FOR 12 YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO INDIANAPOLIS. OH, I intend to head back down to Nashville for another visit because I am giving some thought to moving to the area. Folks, your feedback and comments are most welcome. One last thing, ARE THERE ANY PLACES SOUTH OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA, ANY AREAS OF INTEREST THAT YOU FOLKS CAN RECOMMEND?

Darlin'....locals don't go downtown! It's a tourist place....I hate downtown Nashville. Downtown used to be a wonderful place...now it's all bars and country music....touristy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville