Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM

473 posts, read 521,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Time wise, what sort of commute can you deal with?
I think it's the traffic he's scared of. Franklin to Vandy seems like it would be 30 minutes, but he's heard stories from coworkers about I-65 being bumper to bumber during rush hour, especially in any sort of bad weather.

Thirty minutes would be doable, 45 minutes and up, much less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
I think it's the traffic he's scared of. Franklin to Vandy seems like it would be 30 minutes, but he's heard stories from coworkers about I-65 being bumper to bumber during rush hour, especially in any sort of bad weather.

It takes me 30 minutes to get the ~5 miles from my house in East Nashville to Vanderbilt on some days -- I can't imagine that a 20+-mile commute on Nashville's notoriously trafficky highway will only take 30 minutes...But I'm a cynic about suburban living in general, so don't mind me.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It takes me 30 minutes to get the ~5 miles from my house in East Nashville to Vanderbilt on some days -- I can't imagine that a 20+-mile commute on Nashville's notoriously trafficky highway will only take 30 minutes...But I'm a cynic about suburban living in general, so don't mind me.
I usually fly once I get on 65, as long as you get off before the exit for 96.

Where I usually hit traffic is actually in the vanderbilt area. I've sat on too many occassions for what seems like an eternity getting to the from the medical office complex up to 440.

I now know a different route and it doesn't take me nearly as long and I avoid the traffic around Vandy.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post

It really depends on where you are in Franklin.

If you're on the west side of town, or up Hillsboro Pike (US 431), it's a generally easy trek (though 2 lanes mostly) until you get to Green Hills (a little south of I-440) where traffic is maddeningly slow during most daylight hours.

If you live closer to I-65, it's generally NOT too bad except during absolute peak times, until you get to I-440. The thing is, from 65, you can access Vandy via I-440, Wedgewood Ave, or go downtown and come down West End. The key will be when he has to be there. 10-15 minutes can make a huge difference in traffic here. Leaving early and arriving at work a with a little extra time can save you a ton of stress on your commute.

The key is learning the traffic patterns. Most areas of Nashville don't have terrible traffic all day long...so if you avoid peak times, you can get most places relatively stress-free. There are a few places where it is bad for longer periods of time...especially where I-24 & I-40 merge. I-440 is pretty bad going west in the morning, and going east in the afternoon. I-65 on the north side of town can back up around Briley Pkwy and I-24. Generally, though, I-65 on the south side isn't too bad outside of a couple of 20-30 minute stretches in the morning. Traffic can be heavy, but it usually moves.

Now, whether or not you and your family feel that Franklin is the right place for you is another story. You will have to decide that on your own. As far as the commute goes, though, I wouldn't eliminate Franklin strictly off of that. Heck, if you live in Green Hills, it might take you 25-30 minutes to get to Vanderbilt during rush hour (lots of traffic, lots of red lights).

Learn your back roads. It will save you a lot of stress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville