U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,892,583 times

Advertisements

countrybabe - You have whined and complained and kvetched on almost every thread here today. You have gone down every single one of them and bashed TN-- and the people who live here-- on every front. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are passing your opinion off as fact and you've been inaccurate on just about every topic-- the availability of land, property taxes, education, the people. I could have gone down your posts one-by-one and rebutted with facts, but why bother? Sharing and being helpful clearly was not your agenda.

Some outsiders are welcomed; I believe you when you say you are not. You come off as a bitter, spiteful and thoroughly negative and unpleasant person, so it comes as no surprise that you're unhappy here or unable to make friends, as you ranted about on another thread. Have you ever considered that the problem might not be just with TN, but partially with you? That's just my opinion-- I'm not passing it off as fact.

I wish you could find SOMETHING to be happy about, because you must be truly miserable. You generally reap what you sow. Of course, you probably find that yet another example of the "backwards" thinking of the "backwards" people here in TN. I'll just let you hang on to that stereotype, since superiority seems to be important to you.

Good luck to you! I sincerely hope you find someplace more to your liking. There are 49 other states, so surely you will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 PM

29 posts, read 123,741 times
Thanks goodbye...we are in the process of looking now (and I'm sure I will be much happier when we move). My attitude IS bad and I will admit it...it became that way after moving here and what we have had to contend with here. I personally just don't like it here along with the other folks that have moved here and left or from the MANY I now hear grew up here and didn't like it so they left also. I still have my opinions and since my husband and I have lived different places we do have it to compare to other than your Cal and TN locals. The facts about property tax and education here speak for themselves and can easily be researched by anyone looking...the people are perception which there are others that feel the same way as us but the land may be a different story..just what was our experience after vast research. I don't think there was any reason to lash out at me because of the way I feel. People ARE entitled to their opinion and who are you to judge me for mine??? I admit I am unhappy here because of reasons stated...others should get the good and the bad opinions to be living in the land of the free don't ya think!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:45 PM

83 posts, read 348,163 times
Default The ORIGINAL Question was “Retiring to TN”

Right on goodbyehollywood.

We moved here to retire from NJ 9 years ago. We have been to every state in the US most of the provinces of Canada and MANY European countries. We chose to live in TN for lots of reasons. One was the low cost of living the other the friendliness of the people. We also wanted four seasons with short winters.

We have NEVER been treated as “outsiders” in most cases people WANT to know where we are from and fascinated since we speak English with an accent. Both of us speak several languages and learned English as adults. WE should be REALLY outsiders if you want to put it that way.

countrybabe

We get it. You HATE TN. You made a mistake moving here but millions of us like it so don’t let the door hit your you know what when you leave. Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one but some people try to force theirs on you.

Now back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION.

CrochetCrazy

Yes you will find a place with 5+ acres not far from shopping, hospitals and restaurants in your price range. Look at Wilson, Sumner, Rutherford counties. We also like the Cookeville and Crossville area but for us it is too far from Nashville. We need the Airport for overseas connections also we like what a city has to offer. We live in Davidson County on 13 acres with deer and wild turkeys sharing our property. You will find the people in TN ARE FRIENDLY and VERY helpful. Your living costs will go down even with the high sales tax. You have to look at the WHOLE picture not just selected items.

Don’t be discouraged by negative posts. Make your OWN decision. Come on down visit for a few days, drive around and talk to people. I personally do not know any retired person who moved to TN and left (I am sure there are some)

Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
You mentioned 9 cities as being top-rated. Could you share all 9 areas? I'm interested in retiring to TN within 3-4 years and haven't decided on which area.
Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 4,243,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd88 View Post
You mentioned 9 cities as being top-rated. Could you share all 9 areas? I'm interested in retiring to TN within 3-4 years and haven't decided on which area.
Thanks.

Here is a recent article on a top rated retirement area. Click on the link below.

Tennessee Retirement Communities - Real Estate - Fairfield Glade - Homes for Sale - Golf - Community Life

Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 PM

12,401 posts, read 34,557,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd88 View Post
Thanks.
The 9 areas the State of Tennessee is promoting for retirement can be found here:
Retire Tennessee

Old 09-17-2007, 06:47 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,796,848 times
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread before! CrochetCrazy, have you decided on anything?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 129,343 times
Default Close to normal shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybabe View Post
There is NOTHING in TN where you can have land and be close to "shopping". We tried that and it didn't work. We have to drive 45 minutes to get to any "normal" shopping. If you are hermits then you would be fine here and if you don't mind driving ALOT of miles on your vehicle then you would be good here!!! Otherwise, I would look in other areas of the country!!
What do you think of Pegram? I have loved this community for a long time. It is about 10-12 minutes from Bellvue Mall.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM

11 posts, read 46,857 times
Default Country Living in Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread before! CrochetCrazy, have you decided on anything?
Hi SmokyMtnGal and Anna Haislip ~

Nice to hear from you and thank you. Our "paradise" will probably be around or about the Nashville area but around 75 to 100 miles out. Have never been to Tennessee but have husband's cousins who live in Memphis so as to the specific area, we will have to go and look around. Nothing is etched in stone at this point. I am getting an idea of the towns now and checking the city data information on city-data.com and weather which is a big consideration since we are from Northern Illinois.

I'm still listenin' -- if anyone else has any more rural towns near a larger size town big enough to get some shopping done.

Thanks to all.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM

440 posts, read 1,370,371 times
We are in the process of buying a house in Portland and selling our house here in Calif. We plan on retiring in March and then moving... Check out Portland it is a small town and the people there are very very friendly.. Portland is north of Nashville and about 2 miles from the Kentucky border....... Check it out...... There is a super Wal-Mart 3 miles from our house.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or