Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 35,678 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving to Nashville from Albuquerque in the next six months. We are in our mid/late 20’s. We plan to buy a house within the next couple of years. We are looking for a neighborhood that we can live in for the foreseeable future, so it would have to be an area that people our age would enjoy as well as a decent place to raise kids. Ideally, we would like to be in a walkable neighborhood (i.e. you don’t have to get in the car to buy a gallon of milk or drive 5 miles to go out to dinner). We also plan to eventually open up a neighborhood bar. My questions are:
1. Is there any kind of local/national punk scene there?
2. Which neighborhoods should we be looking in for housing?
3. Is there a market for a bar, or is the area fairly saturated? We’re not going for anything flashy, just a nice, local place to have a beer, listen to the jukebox and have some good conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
1. The Goth or punk scene doesn't seem to be very big here. But, since I'm no longer college-age, I could be wrong. A few high school kids are into it, but that's not going to help much if you plan on opening a bar.

2. Probably either the Midtown/21st Avenue/Hillsboro Village area, or East Nashville.

3. The market seems fairly saturated to me. Of course, that doesn't mean someone can't open a new one and make a success of it. If I were opening a bar, I would try to come up with a new "hook" to create some buzz about my place.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 80,580 times
how ironic- I just moved from Nashville to Albuquerque. I do not know of a big punk scene in Nashville but that is not really my thing so there is a chance I am just out of the loop. Neighboorhood bars are hard to come by in nashville, most bars and nightlife and grouped together in the midtown/ downtown/ vandy area- not near residentail areas. I don't know your price range for housing but I would suggest looking in West nashville or by the lake for "walkable neighborhoods" also have you considered Mount Juliet or perhaps Murfreesboro?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM

32 posts, read 133,453 times
1. There isnt a big Goth scene here that I am aware of. The Punk scene is relatively small. If you want to see punk music you should check out The End. Outside of that you might get some of the bigger punk bands at venues like Exit In, Mercy Lounge, City Hall, etc. Nashville has got a pretty good indie scene and I think you will pleasently suprised by our music.

2. You definately want to check out East Nashville. It seems right up your alley. It's up and coming and has a lot of character. It might be a stretch to call it walkable though.

3. There is always a market for a bar. The only drawback is we have weird zoning laws and many places that have tried to be neighborhood bars have failed because of jacked up zoning or liquor laws.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Thank you! This is a very good staring point for us. We'll be going out in a few weeks just to spend some time and make sure that we like it as well as we remembered. I will check out these areas and post back. Thanks for the info on the zoning laws - it's definitely something to think about. I looked up some of those venues on the internet, and it looks like there will be plenty of new bands for us to check out! We really enjoy most genres of music, so that is a big part of the draw to living there.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:46 PM

By the way, susiek, any questions about Burque?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:59 PM

7 posts, read 25,148 times
Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association Home Page
join the listserve and meet some people ...
Lockeland Springs in East Nashville is the place for walking-distance, coolest owner-operated pubs and restaurants. Great older homes. Lots of areas in and around still affordable. Diverse hip population, lots of artists and musicians, young and old into all kinds of music and art... the only owner operated organic / healthy grocery store in town...
The Turnip Truck : HOME
Google Nashville Punk Goth and you'll find some info...

Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 PM

18 posts, read 89,047 times
Default goth/emo/punk/alternative................

Hi there............

Just thought I would HiJack this thread.
So............ Since - Sept 2007 has the Goth/Emo/Punk/Alternative scene improved?

Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back.

What would that scene like to see happen in Mo'Town?
Music Venues?
Coffee Shops?
Cyber Cafe?

nb_ I grew up in ABQ and now somehow............ not sure yet how, but i'm in Morristown, TN -
Been in UK for past ten years..............
mad.

Enlighten me................
xxbangbang
H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville