U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,918,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
The only one on your avoid list that is mostly problematic is North Nashville. The others have good areas, you just don't hear people complaining about them.

Having some experience with metro law enforcement, I would live in a nice part of Antioch before any part of East Nashville.
Really? Any part of East Nashville? The part of the 'hood between about 11th and 19th, north of Shelby and South of Eastland (a pretty big part) is just about as safe as Hillsboro Village or anywhere else in the city.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 PM

808 posts, read 1,827,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
The only one on your avoid list that is mostly problematic is North Nashville. The others have good areas, you just don't hear people complaining about them.

Having some experience with metro law enforcement, I would live in a nice part of Antioch before any part of East Nashville.
I respectfully disagree with the assessment of North Nashville which is technically a rather huge area much like East Nashville, West Nashville or Antioch. I don't think N. Nashville is mostly problematic but it's also arguably the least popular part of the city so most people probably just assume it's mostly bad. Whites Creek and Joelton take up a huge swath of far North Nashville and are sparsely populated & rural. They are probably perfect for people who want a quiet, rustic lifestyle in a heavily wooded area within a few miles of the city. There are also some new subdivisions going up off of Briley Parkway in Jordonia on the fringes of Bordeaux. I wouldn't consider that area particularly bad as well just not trendy or popular. The new construction out there is comparable to some of the middle/working class subdivisions being built in places like Cane Ridge and LaVergne.

I think when many people think of the bad part of N. Nashville they automatically think of areas like Buena Vista, Bordeaux or the Haynes area which have a bit of a reputation.

Last edited by ariesjow; 12-15-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,192,674 times
Crime would go down much more if citizens were prepared, drugs became unprofitable and criminals served their full sentences, with more time thrown in for the habitual ones.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM

800 posts, read 1,756,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I respectfully disagree with the assessment of North Nashville which is technically a rather huge area much like East Nashville, West Nashville or Antioch. I don't think N. Nashville is mostly problematic but it's also arguably the least popular part of the city so most people probably just assume it's mostly bad. Whites Creek and Joelton take up a huge swath of far North Nashville and are sparsely populated & rural. They are probably perfect for people who want a quiet, rustic lifestyle in a heavily wooded area within a few miles of the city. There are also some new subdivisions going up off of Briley Parkway in Jordonia on the fringes of Bordeaux. I wouldn't consider that area particularly bad as well just not trendy or popular. The new construction out there is comparable to some of the middle/working class subdivisions being built in places like Cane Ridge and LaVergne.

I think when many people think of the bad part of N. Nashville they automatically think of areas like Buena Vista, Bordeaux or the Haynes area which have a bit of a reputation.
Well Joelton and Whites Creek aren't north Nashville, they are own zip coded areas of town located in northern Davidson county. Recently over the past 5 years or so since the regratification of parts of East Nashville, rougher parts and even parts that are still majority African American,of east Nashville have been renamed North Nashville to the media, particuarly when it comes to reporting crime, etc... I don't know if this is to protect the reputation of the "new" East Nashville or what, but for years up to today, African Americans have always considered areas around Trinity lane, whites creek pk, Haynes Mannor, and Park Wood areas East Nashville... Now the media reports all those areas as North Nashville...To African Americans in those historicical Black areas, North Nashville doesn't really start until you reach the Clarksville hwy area and areas around TSU down to Charollet pk, when it becomes West Nashville...

Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM

800 posts, read 1,756,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylittlecurls View Post
I haven't been to Nash (yet) but I've done tons of searches, and this is what I've come up with. (Figured I'd share my obsessive researching finds with everyone )

Good but expensive:
The Gulch
12th South (same as the Gulch??)
Belmont?
Hillsboro Village?

Suburban, family friendly:
Franklin
Hendersonville
Belle Meade

Safe, trendy; good for young professionals:
Green Hills
Berry Hill
Sylvan Park
West End
Bellevue

Maybe sketchy by some standards but trendy:
East Nashville neighborhoods
Germantown
Inglewood

Avoid due to crime:
Madison
Hope Gardens
Antioch
North Nashville neighborhoods

locals, what am I missing or wrong about? not sure where simply "downtown" goes.
If this would had been a research paper for high school or college it would receive a grade of F, due to no credible sources...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 PM

808 posts, read 1,827,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Well Joelton and Whites Creek aren't north Nashville, they are own zip coded areas of town located in northern Davidson county. Recently over the past 5 years or so since the regratification of parts of East Nashville, rougher parts and even parts that are still majority African American,of east Nashville have been renamed North Nashville to the media, particuarly when it comes to reporting crime, etc... I don't know if this is to protect the reputation of the "new" East Nashville or what, but for years up to today, African Americans have always considered areas around Trinity lane, whites creek pk, Haynes Mannor, and Park Wood areas East Nashville... Now the media reports all those areas as North Nashville...To African Americans in those historicical Black areas, North Nashville doesn't really start until you reach the Clarksville hwy area and areas around TSU down to Charollet pk, when it becomes West Nashville...
Your first sentence is a bit of an oxymoron but I know exactly what you mean and essentially agree. I think most native Nashvillians consider the boundaries of north, south, east and west Nashville to be in or around the city boundaries pre-consolidation. However, I do think that can be very perplexing for Nashville newbies who look at a map and note that you can't get any further north within Nashville than Joelton or further west than Bellevue, etc. Thus, I always have a bit of pause when I see the sweeping generalizations about entire portions of the city and think it's always helpful to clarify. If not for us long-time locals, then it's certainly helpful for potential or new residents to read a more detailed breakdown.

I also think we could have a rather lengthy and entertaining thread on where the boundaries of parts of Nashville begin and end. As you noted yourself, where East Nashville ends and North Nashville begins is going to depend entirely on who you ask. Ditto for whether one can claim to live in both Davidson County and Brentwood. I have also heard so many descriptions of the Midtown boundaries that it's not even funny. As another anedcote, I had a conversation with one of my co-workers last year about where she lived. She told me she lived in West Meade and I explained that I lived nearby in the White Bridge area. As it turned out, she literally lived around the corner from me and seemed somewhat offended at the notion that I didn't consider her neighborhood West Meade. LOL.

Last edited by ariesjow; 12-16-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,177,955 times
Hey Curls! I thought it was a valiant effort and sort of wanted to do something similar when I had just moved here. But it's really hard and not really fair to pigeon hole entire neighborhoods and after that there are so many different opinions about what "safe" is and what is "family friendly" and "walkable" to one person is a hike to another. No offense taken, at least by me!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM

453 posts, read 1,001,692 times
I don't personally take any offense either.

And I think it was an interesting effort to respond to MANY of the posts on City-Data saying "What is a safe/trendy/convenient/family-friendly etc. neighborhood?"

On nabe not mentioned in the original post, but which is close-in, affordable, convenient and people who live there seem to like is Crieve Hall - default.aspx (http://20tn.club.officelive.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,679,958 times
Quote:
Sorry for offending everyone!
I would say it's less "offending" people than it is ruffling feathers. CG2B brings up some great points...and I keep saying over and over, it's about perception. Opinions are all over the place.

I don't think you can label most of the larger areas of town as safe/unsafe, family friendly, etc...because they are large areas and vary block by block, street by street, and neighborhood by neighborhood.

You also have to remember that we have some posters that live in a few of these areas...and if you (as an outsider) put the label on it as a dangerous place to avoid, you're probably going to hear about it! A lot of people here are prideful of their community, and feel like they have a more intimate knowledge about it than others.

I was definitely not offended, but I felt it was necessary to try to fill you in on some of the neighborhoods or things that you had incorrect. I get what you were trying to do with your original post...but perhaps making a list and going ahead and labeling it wasn't the best idea. Everyone has their own opinions on the different neighborhoods and parts of town...so when you list them all together and label them, you're going to attract a lot of responses! It might have been better to pose the whole thing as a question, given that many of us on this forum have lived here for quite a while.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 AM

216 posts, read 311,013 times
Quote:
Sorry for offending everyone!
I would say maybe ask some open ended questions next time and take a less direct approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville