Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

Well, I am transfering to my companys office in Brentwood from Ohio!

My fiancee and I (both in our early-mid 20's) are looking for a deacent place to live. She does not have a job lined up but will probably be looking into the city. I will be working in Brentwood. We have a Medium dog and are looking for somewhere to live for under $1000 for a 1-2 bedroom place. Being younger we want to have some what of a nightlife area.

I hear the rush hour traffice can be bad. Would it be worse to live in brentwood and for her to drive to downtown or live in downtown and drive to brentwood?

Any input on areas, or specific aparment complexes to look at would be appreciated. We are set to move in about 45 days. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Driving from Nashville to Brentwood in the morning would be easier than coming into the city from there.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Driving from Nashville to Brentwood in the morning would be easier than coming into the city from there.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?
This is very important. There are plenty of options that could potentially fit your situation.

If you are intent on living close to the city...what would be your ideal situation? Renting a house, or an apartment? Would you like to be really close to downtown (but in a reasonably safe neighborhood), or would an outlying neighborhood 3-5 miles from downtown be suitable?

I agree that reverse commuting will probably be easier than the other way around, although you will still encounter a bit of traffic at the access points (downtown, and at the Brentwood exit).

My initial thoughts would be to tell the OP to look at 12th South, Melrose, or the Gulch, which would all give decent access to I-65 or Franklin Road and the Brentwood area. I'm not sure exactly what is available rental-wise for the desired price, though.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Thanks for the input. We would be looking for a younger, reasonably safe, neighborhood with some nightlife not too far away. In a perfect world it would be 5 minutes from downtown and Brentwood (which isnt possible) we would have a bar within walking distance, access to the main roads, and I wouldnt have to worry about my car getting broken into. All for a cheap price. I realize that I can not have it all, just looking for the best possible with a completly open mind.

Edit: We would be open to renting a house or an apartment, which ever worked out better. I would be okay with downtown or the outlying areas if it was reasonable drive to get to downtown.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad 87 View Post
Thanks for the input. We would be looking for a younger, reasonably safe, neighborhood with some nightlife not too far away. In a perfect world it would be 5 minutes from downtown and Brentwood (which isnt possible) we would have a bar within walking distance, access to the main roads, and I wouldnt have to worry about my car getting broken into. All for a cheap price. I realize that I can not have it all, just looking for the best possible with a completly open mind.

Edit: We would be open to renting a house or an apartment, which ever worked out better. I would be okay with downtown or the outlying areas if it was reasonable drive to get to downtown.
Young, reasonably safe, and with close nightlife would seem to fit 12th South pretty well.

I don't know about cars getting broken into...but the area has seen a very positive change in the last decade, and I would imagine crime isn't a huge issue...but keep in mind that in the city, you should still take common sense precautions like locking doors, and not leaving valuables out.

12th Avenue is a fairly main road itself...going between downtown Nashville all the way into Brentwood (as Granny White Pike). It's not 5 minutes from downtown or Brentwood...but no where is...unless you are right in the middle of I-65 and can instantly get up to 60-70 mph. Realistically, you're more like 10-15 minutes (depending on the final destinations and traffic) from either place.

The GREAT thing about that road is that it's not overly crowded, and there aren't a huge number of red lights to slow you down. While the speed limit is low (30-40 mph), you will probably find it easier to navigate than any of the main highways or the interstate. In fact, you might find that it is easier to just drive all the way into Brentwood (via Granny White Pike) if you happen to be working anywhere around Maryland Farms. I think you would find it a lot less hectic than getting on and off the interstate (even in the reverse commute).

The only thing I'm not sure about in regards to 12th South is whether or on it will be affordable to you. It's an up and coming, but currently trendy area...so prices might not be what they were just a few years ago...and if you move there (and are renting), rental rates might start to go up. I'm also not sure just how many places there are to rent right around there. The *good* part of 12th South is primarily made up of single family houses. Not a lot of apartments. Further up 12th (from Wedgewood on in) isn't a very good area...so if you're looking 12th South, you need to be looking more towards I-440 and Kirkwood Ave.

You're right to think you probably can't find everything you're looking for in one place...but I think 12th South is the most likely to fit.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
I'd say the Gulch fits a lot of your criteria, but it would probably be hard to find something in your price range.

Maybe look for a small house rental in Crieve Hall? Not a hip area, but a short drive to Downtown and you're right near 65 for the drive to Brentwood.

I agree with what others have said. The reverse commute (starting in Nashville and heading to Brentwood in the morning) will be MUCH easier than the usual suburban-to-city grind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: