Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times

Advertisements

I am *desperate* to learn more about "Old Hickory" (near Nashville, I think). I see that someone wrote a book, "Old Hickory; The First 75 Years," but it's also NO WHERE to be found.

Does anyone know where I might find this book?

Secondly, are there any historical organizations that might be able to answer some questions for me?

Old Hickory was the site of a major Dupont Munitions factory before WW1, and Penniman Virginia was also the site of a major Dupont Munitions factory (same time period).

When Penniman was torn down, Norfolk ended up with more than 50 of their houses, which were original "Dupont Designs."

Old Hickory has ALL the same houses, and I'm trying to learn more about these houses in Norfolk (and Portsmouth and Newport News).

Here's a picture of one of our Norfolk houses, compared to a picture of one "Old Hickory's" Dupont House. The vintage pic of "Old Hickory" is on the left, and the contemporary picture of the house in Norfolk is on the right. Pretty cool, isn't it?

I've been working on this project for more than 18 months now, and it's pretty exciting to discover that Old Hickory and Penniman had the same housing styles (which isn't a huge surprise), but now I'd need to find out WHAT those housing styles looked like.

Thanks for any help.

Rosemary Thornton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Have you tried "driving" around Old Hickory on Google maps? You could just enter the addresses you have and take a look that way. I know you want photos, but while you're waiting for someone who has those, you could at least "look around" the town virtually.

I just saw a couple of the houses like the ones you posted by randomly zooming in on 10th street in Old Hickory on Google maps.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Default I think I found it?

Really fascinating story. I think there were a lot of 'kit' homes post WW2 - you could even order one from Sears? I am very interested in current pre-fab houses that they will just drop on the lot of your choice (of course they need to be hooked up to electric grid, water, etc.

Good news! The book you are after is available at the Old Hickory Chamber of Commerce, although it has been revised. See link and info below!

Publications | Old Hickory Area Chamber of Commerce

Old Hickory, A Way of Life 1918-1993

The original book,
Old Hickory, the first 75 years by Margaret Marie Tootle was sold out. This new and updated book contains over 100 pages and 175 photos.

Reaching back to Old Hickory’s history during the life of President Andrew Jackson and spanning the 75 years since the development of the Hadley’s Bend area by DuPont, Ms. Tootle tells the story of how this small bend in the Cumberland River evolved from quiet farmland to a bustling center for industry nearly overnight. Many pictures of Old Hickory during the early DuPont years are included.

The book is available in soft back. The books are available at the Old Hickory Credit Union in Old Hickory or order your copy via mail from the Old Hickory Area Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 506, Old Hickory, TN 37138.

AND, here is an interesting article about the lady who wrote the book! Old Hickory remains "A Way of Life"

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 01-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Additional link

Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
There is a whole section of houses just like you posted in Old Hickory. Unfortunately I can't give you an address but if I was driving I could find it. My daughter has a friend from school that lives over there.

The lake is nearby.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,311 times
Poking around on the various real estate websites I found a few in Old hickory that date from the right time period Pre WWII. Of course it's a scattered list since it only shows ones that happen to be for sale, but they do have pictures inside and out. May be helpful for comparison or as a starting point for Google street view "driving tours". All in Old hickory TN 37138
106 Becker Avenue
808 Cleves Street
404 Cleves Street
207 30th street
905 Bryan street
1002 Berry Street
811 Hadley Avenue

Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Default More

Thanks for those addresses!

Yes, I have spent HOURS driving the streets of Old Hickory via google, but I don't think I've discovered all of "Old Hickory" yet.

Plus, I am hoping to find a historical society dedicated to Old Hickory and/or Dupont.

Here's a vintage image of Old Hickory.

And the Dutch Colonial:

And here are the houses we have in Norfolk.

I'm trying to figure out what OTHER housing styles you have there in Old Hickory, that were built by DuPont.

Who's the town historian? Who would know everything there is to know about Old Hickory and DuPont?

Thanks for all help.

Rose

Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Thanks for those addresses!

Yes, I have spent HOURS driving the streets of Old Hickory via google, but I don't think I've discovered all of "Old Hickory" yet.

Plus, I am hoping to find a historical society dedicated to Old Hickory and/or Dupont.

Here's a vintage image of Old Hickory.

And the Dutch Colonial:

And here are the houses we have in Norfolk.

I'm trying to figure out what OTHER housing styles you have there in Old Hickory, that were built by DuPont.

Who's the town historian? Who would know everything there is to know about Old Hickory and DuPont?

Thanks for all help.

Rose
They used to have a bit of info up on the website...but it appears it hasn't been well maintained.

IIRC, there were 6 styles of houses used...each a little different in size (depending on one's position at DuPont). The houses get slightly bigger as you get closer to the river (lake, now).

Let me see if I can't dig up the link that had that info...unfortunately, it may be gone.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Oh, and start here:

Heritage

Historic Old Hickory Village

Old Hickory Area Chamber of Commerce

I'm sure if you got in touch with someone from (the latter two of) those websites, they could point you in the right direction.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
There is a website that will give you 'snapshots' of what websites looked like in previous years. You type the name of the website in that box. Then pick a date in blue (shows an update) and you can click the links from there . . takes a little poking around but you may find stuff not currently on the site.

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

And here is a link to a 2008 version of the Old Hickory website . .

Old Hickory Area Chamber of Commerce—Old Hickory, Tennessee

Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
There is a website that will give you 'snapshots' of what websites looked like in previous years. You type the name of the website in that box. Then pick a date in blue (shows an update) and you can click the links from there . . takes a little poking around but you may find stuff not currently on the site.

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

And here is a link to a 2008 version of the Old Hickory website . .

Old Hickory Area Chamber of Commerce—Old Hickory, Tennessee

I actually thought about looking it up via archive.org...but I didn't get around to it.

Although it doesn't have the pics (or at least I can't see them)...that's exactly what I was talking about!

Great work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: