Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,360 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move, with our 2 year and 4 month old, to Nashville from upstate NY in the next 5-9 months. We are looking at the Hermitage area and various apartment complexes as a place to live. The main reasons for the move are lack of jobs, weather, and the need for a new place to discover. So here are my questions:

Is the Hermitage area a nice area to live? What are other good (and bad) areas?
Are there abundant waitressing positions? (I waitress and my husband is looking into careers at the Gibson Guitar factory)
My family is having a very hard time with this as they are extremely close to our children. They will be a 14 hour drive away. Any thoughts/experience with that?
Any comments about ANYTHING related would be helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
First, welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmacblane View Post
Is the Hermitage area a nice area to live?
Much of Hermitage is a nice area...typically it's a middle class suburb...pretty safe. There are a couple of areas that I would probably want to avoid. I think the Burning Tree Apartments recently had some fairly high profile crime committed there...its' always seemed a little on the shady side. But by and large, Hermitage is a nice area. I used to live in nearby Mt. Juliet and always felt very comfortable in Hermitage.

Quote:
What are other good (and bad) areas?
A little further out I-40 is Mt. Juliet...actually it's the next set of exits on I-40 from Hermitage. I would also consider looking there. Good community, schools are higher rated than Metro Nashville (which includes Hermitage). With a child who will be school age in a few years, that might be something to consider.

Quote:
Are there abundant waitressing positions? (I waitress and my husband is looking into careers at the Gibson Guitar factory)
I don't know how to quantify "abundant" but in Hermitage there are a number of national chain restaurants...Applebees, O'Charley's, Outback, etc. Likewise in Mt. Juliet there is a very large retail area called Providence that has just about every chain restaurant you can think of. So, yes, I guess there is a good amount of waitressing positions available. On the other side of I-40 towards Donelson is the Airport and there is another batch of chain restaurants there as well, though not quite as nice as those you'll find in Hermitage or Mt.J. If you're looking for something a little more upscale, you might have to look a little harder, but I can think of a few higher-end restaurants out there that might be promising too.

Quote:
My family is having a very hard time with this as they are extremely close to our children. They will be a 14 hour drive away. Any thoughts/experience with that?
I'm afraid I can't help there, but you can always tell them to come down for the winter or early spring...it's not Florida, but its probably better on average than New York.

As a side note, I would recommend Children's Clinic East for pediatrics. We used to see Dr. Shepherd at the MtJ location, but I'd also recommend Dr. Mehrotra at the Hermitage office. Really, every doctor we saw when we were with them was great. The only reason we moved offices was because we moved to Hendersonville...and that wouldn't have been practical.

Good luck with your move and your decision!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,761 times
Default moved from n.y

I moved to the Nashville area 4 years ago I was from N.Y. also. Things are alot different down here, the weather is 100% nicer than N.Y. Cost of living is also alot cheaper, groceries have a 10% tax on them but all in all it is sooooo much cheaper. I lived in Shelbyville which is an hour away from Nashville, it is a small city but alot less hectic. It all depends what you want..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,665 times
I agree with DonCorleone that if you're going to look on the east side of Nashville, you may as well go 10 or 15 minutes further and live in Mt Juliet, where the schools are better than Hermitage (we used to live there, and moved to Forest Hills area when our kids got out of elementary school in order to relocate to better schools). Another problem with Hermitage (and Mt Juliet to some extent) is that your real estate investment isn't going to appreciate as quickly as other areas of Nashville area (such as Green Hills, Forest Hills, Brentwood, Franklin) mostly because schools aren't seen as being as good.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 24,665 times
Oops. Just noticed that you said you're getting an apartment. Never mind about real estate appreciation.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 PM

201 posts, read 320,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmacblane View Post

We just made the move with our little ones (ages 7, 6, 4, almost 3) that saw grandparents at least 3 times a week back home. It's a tough transition and an awful long drive (we're about 36 hours driving time away from them now) but with the bonus of technology it's been ok. Thanks to things like Skype they can see/talk to their grandparents at least as often as they did before but we find it to be better quality time spent too.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! Very helpful...especially the pediatricians.

@ Rids78- do your parents have any resentment about the move? My mother has said that she is sad because she will miss them growing up. Ultimately what would make us stay is feeling like I am taking my kids relationship with their grandparents away. I know that if we did not have children, this move would not be as upsetting for my parents.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 PM

We also see my parents at least 3 times a week as they live on the next street over from us currently

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 PM

201 posts, read 320,034 times
In the end both of our sets of parents knew that we'd have to move to continue a real career in the music industry. Options were limited where we were and if we hadn't hit the ceiling yet we were very close.

That likely has the move sitting easier for them. Now it does make a difference with the older ones being able to just sit down at the computer and carry on a conversation by themselves which will be harder with younger kids. My parents are at retirement age so I expect to see them travel down a couple times a year although Nashville isn't an easy destination for people from Western Canada as flights aren't cheap, there's nothing direct and driving is an ordeal. My wife's folks have already been down (used this as a vacation point and went from here to the Bahamas...).

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

30 posts, read 78,327 times
We made the move 1 year ago from Calif. Yes it was hard to leave my wifes parents and our grown kids, but we had to do what was best for us ...

Be aware that waitress jobs here pay below minium wage, I think it's $1.75 an hour, you can convert ?? they assume that you'll make the balance up in tips, but where my wife works alot of the girls complain ... but that might be th chain shes working in, she took a hostess job instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville