Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM

122 posts, read 479,729 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am planning on visiting the Nashville area this spring. Not limited to Nashville itself but would also like to look at Franklin and Cookeville. If you have another town that you can suggest, would appreciate all information.
What is the average annual property tax on a small house/condo, 2-3 bedrooms, small lot? I would like to be in walking distance of a small downtown area or a couple stores/restaurants for my 80 year old aunt; unless there is bus transportation. Natually a safe area with friendly neighbors is high on my list.
I am hoping to find a part time job when I move and want to be able to afford living there untll social security kicks in. Too young to retire but too old to be hired for a full-time job I fear.
The reason I ask, read somewhere that Cookeville property tax was less then $1000/annual but when I looked at some houses online the average was $3-4 thousand/annual.
Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I moved from CT and found property taxes to be very low here. A 1500 sq ft house in CT was almost $6,000 while here it's about $1300. Zillow will tell you the property tax rate.

Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Recent Sales, Apartment Rentals

A Franklin zip code is 37069. Not sure about Cookeville. Taxes are higher in Davidson County (Nashville proper) than in Williamson County.

NOTE: Just looked at a house in Cookeville on Zillow that was $220,000. Yearly property tax was less than $800.

Also, finding a house within walking distance of a downtown is VERY hard to do here - at least an affordable one. Fieldstone Farms in Franklin has an "over 55" area that is within walking distance to a Publix, Walgreens, UPS store and a little restaurant. The Franklin Trolley has a stop right there that will take you (eventually) to downtown Franklin, the Williamson Medical Center, and the mall for $1. Only goes about 8 times a day but it's a neat little service.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 AM

643 posts, read 2,385,793 times
I'd say property tax rates in TN average about 0.80%. In counties the rates will be as low as 0.40% and in cities expect to pay about 1.25%.

I've noticed that some online realtor sites are way off on reporting the property taxes.

Tennessee Property Data Home Page is a good place to find out more information about property tax rates.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Thank you for your answers on the property taxes. New Jersey is so expensive; small house, city size lot and paying over $7000/yrly.
We'll check out the different areas when we visit.
How do you like living in TN? Major change from your home state?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Yes, I like it a lot. I used to visit people in NJ and driving down there from CT drove me INSANE and then in NJ are all those jug handle left turns??? Always afraid I was going to get in the wrong lane and end up in NYC. We do have traffic but it's saner than the northeast.

People are very friendly here and the property taxes ARE lower. Sales tax is a little high. It's pretty. The winters are mild. Summers CAN get hot/sticky.

I am probably your age and haven't given up on full time work. I don't think social security will provide me with enough money to live on without maybe eating rice every day like they do on Survivor! There's a guy at Publix (the one near the Over 55 place I mentioned) who is in his 80's and still working! He's a little slow but seems happy to be working and does a great job.

Do you have friends or family in the area? Why TN?

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 02-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot a ")"!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Cookeville is roughly halfway between Nashville and Knoxville on the Cumberland Plateau. Whether or not it will work for you depends on your lifestyle. What type of full time job would you be looking for? Be sure to check out the mountains in East Tennessee - Knoxville & Johnson City. You may like it better than Nashville and its an easier drive if you plan to travel to NJ to visit friends or family.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM

63 posts, read 170,706 times
We're planning a move to Nashville, and in our search found no city property taxes in Mt Juliet

Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Mt. Juliet does have city property taxes. They are just very low - .20 per $100 of assessed value. If cities had NO taxes, they would not be able to provide you with services like police etc.

http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...erty%20Tax.pdf

The county tax rate (Wilson County) is a bit more than $2.50 per $100 of assessed value.

http://www.doingbiz.org/Wilson-County-Tax-Rate.html

So you would add the combined rate of the county where you would live and the appropriate city to get the total rate you will pay.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post
We're planning a move to Nashville, and in our search found no city property taxes in Mt Juliet
Mt. Juliet does have city taxes. Combined with Wilson County taxes, it comes out to 0.675% or $1350 on a $200,000 home.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM

I am probably your age and haven't given up on full time work. I don't think social security will provide me with enough money to live on without maybe eating rice every day like they do on Survivor! There's a guy at Publix (the one near the Over 55 place I mentioned) who is in his 80's and still working! He's a little slow but seems happy to be working and does a great job.

Do you have friends or family in the area? Why TN?

Don't have family in the area; however, one of my friends is considering relocating to the Charlotte NC area or TN.
They're interested in a lake area that's not too rural. Seems like NC is a bit too rural for her taste so far. I'm interested in a more urban/town setting. This way we can enjoy the best of two worlds; I can park in her driveway to enjoy the lake and she can park in my driveway to enjoy city/town life. Haven't given up on the full-time job but figured that with unemployment being what it is, would start part-time somewhere until I was able to make friends/network system. Plan on volunteering too.
Just do not want to put my life on hold any longer; want to move down south and hoping to find someplace that fills most of my requirements. Friendly, safe, good medical facilities and hopefully a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville