Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM

216 posts, read 346,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
OK, WHY are there a lot of Detroiters moving here? I understand that Detroit is having some down turns at the moment but why not Cleveland or Cincinnati, Columbus, Chicago, Indianapolis . . . just wondering what is drawing you all (not Y'all, I moved from CT) to Nashville?????
Not sure why. I originally was moving down because of the weather and nice roads. I became kinda familiar with TN because my dad lived on the other side of the state by Knoxville. I'd go riding down there as much as I could. TN and the south are just beautiful. People seem cool. Same reasons other people have moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 10,591 times
Major Ohio cities are not doing that well, either. I absolutely love Indy but am wanting to be in the south. I recently visited Nashville and fell in love with the culture and people. I know Nashville isn't perfect either but I like to make the best out of any situation.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM

Made it. Driving a crappy 26' Uhaul was not fun.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,653 times
To the OP: You said "Old Hickory/Hendersonville." Vivelafrance is correct in that Old Hickory proper is part of the Metro Nashville school district, but there are parts of Mt. Juliet (across the line in Wilson County) that have the Old Hickory zip code. If the houses you're looking at are on the Wilson side, you'd be in a much better school situation. Just be careful when you're looking to know for sure which county the property is in.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Hey Ziggy!!!

Just wanted to say WELCOME TO NASHVILLE!!!!

I'd make this bigger but there doesn't seem to be an option to!

All the best!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Hey Ziggy!!!

Just wanted to say WELCOME TO NASHVILLE!!!!

I'd make this bigger but there doesn't seem to be an option to!

All the best!
Thanks so much. Just got everything all hooked up and running with lightening fast comcast. Much better than WOW cable back in Detroit. We still have loads to unbox and organize, but have the important stuff - like the kitchen - mostly set. Crazy weather you guys (now us) have down here. Have to do some exploring, but I get the feeling that the 'Boro will become a bit lacking in the "cool stuff to do" category. It's prettty though and it's where we're at for the foreseeble future. We got a great deal on this rental house and it's perfect for us. The commute might be a bit more than we had anticipated, but we'll deal with it for now.

We're going to take a dry run tomorrow to Vandy to get an idea of time and location - what-not.

Overall, very exciting to actually be here, but it has not registered we're actually here. I'm glad I've been regularly doing some pretty rigorous exercise for the past year because I don't know if I would've been able to meet the challange of packing the 26' Uhaul, driving down straight through with no sleep and then unpacking. We are both just broken at this point - completely exhausted.

I'll be checking in as always on here and learning/contributing. Thanks again everybody for advice and the like over the past year or so.

Oh, and our neighbors are awesome. Baked us some banana bread and brought it over to us today. Older retired couple. What do we do back? invite them over for some various grilled meats?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Welcome to Nashville! Sorry your first day came complete with tornado sirens.
As for the neighbors, I don't think you are obligated to do anything. We take a baked item and a card with our info on it to new neighbors, and never expect anything in return. Most, maybe all, have sent back a thank you note with their info, which is a really nice response.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Welcome to Nashville, Ziggy !!!

I'm sure Friday was a bit unsettling, but it looks like we were spared from the worst of it in the Nashville metro yesterday.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Murfreesboro. We are both nurses and will actually be working at Vanderbilt - in different departments of course . Been packing and moving boxes and appliances all day - I'm beat. I was able to sell all my appliances in one day between Craigslist and a couple people from work - crazy. I'll be loading up the truck all day tomorrow sleep hard and then leave up outta motown - far overdue.

I just started looking into Vanderbilt for medical reasons and I'm curious if they are as good as their reputation states. We will be moving within the next 12 months to Hohenwald. Good luck with your move and employment.
Many blessings to you.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,017 times
well, we are back from our trip. Fell in love with mount juliet, hand down the place for us. Now we play the waiting game and decide what's best for our family. If you are not form Detroit (like me), you don't want to stay here. Cold, grey, longggggggggggg winters, short falls, shorter summers. Cost of living is high, property taxes high, utilities high. You LEARN, whether on purpose or not, not to trust anyone.

should i go on ?? LOL.

We are just going to continue to pray for wisdom and peace.

Thank you everyone so much!!

-andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville