Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 28,942 times

Advertisements

I will moving to Nashville to start grad school at Vanderbilt in the fall. I am looking for a 1br apartment for around $800. I have been researching apartments online, but there are so many that it is a bit overwhelming. I have been looking into the Hillsboro Village, Belmont/12South, and Bellevue areas because these seem to have a large young professional population. I would like to be close to grocery stores, coffee shops, shopping, night life, etc. I don't mind a 20 minute commute if rent is going to be cheaper. Also, I am a young female so I want to make sure the apartment complex is safe both during the day and at night. Does anyone have specific apartment suggestions located in these areas that have good reputations or others that are close to the Vanderbilt Medical Center and in my price range? So far, I am broadly considering: Colonial Grande at Bellevue, Lakes of Bellevue, Acklen Park Apartments, Richland Creek Apartments. It has been difficult to find apartment complexes in the Hillsboro/Belmont area so if anyone has suggestions that would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 15,273 times
If I were you I would try my hardest to stay in the Hillsboro area. It is perfect for what you are looking for. Stay far away from Bellevue it is the complete opposite of what you are looking for. The best thing in Bellevue is Sam's Club and Kroger.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msowder View Post
I will moving to Nashville to start grad school at Vanderbilt in the fall. I am looking for a 1br apartment for around $800. I have been researching apartments online, but there are so many that it is a bit overwhelming. I have been looking into the Hillsboro Village, Belmont/12South, and Bellevue areas because these seem to have a large young professional population. I would like to be close to grocery stores, coffee shops, shopping, night life, etc. I don't mind a 20 minute commute if rent is going to be cheaper. Also, I am a young female so I want to make sure the apartment complex is safe both during the day and at night. Does anyone have specific apartment suggestions located in these areas that have good reputations or others that are close to the Vanderbilt Medical Center and in my price range? So far, I am broadly considering: Colonial Grande at Bellevue, Lakes of Bellevue, Acklen Park Apartments, Richland Creek Apartments. It has been difficult to find apartment complexes in the Hillsboro/Belmont area so if anyone has suggestions that would be great!

Thanks!
You should definitely be able to find a decent one bedroom near campus for around $800. I haven't been in either of the complexes you mentioned, so I cannot compare anything other than their locations. Either Acklen Park or Richland Creek are going to be much closer to the trendy areas near the universities with coffee shops, night life, etc. It's possible the apartments in Bellevue may offer you more bang for your buck, but they are probably 10-15 minutes further from the action than the other two. This might be a trade off to consider.

Acklen Park is in the West End Park area which is a tremendous area for students and young professionals and very close to Vandy. It's really in the heart of the things right off of West End with many popular areas nearby like Downtown/The Gulch, Midtown, Hillsboro Village, Sylvan Park, Green Hills, 12South. You may even be able to walk to class as well. Richland Creek is in the White Bridge area and a short drive up West End to Vanderbilt and pretty much the same aforementioned areas. It's in West Nashville along a commercial artery where the city starts transitioning from fairly urban to more suburban. The Nashville West lifestyle center is also nearby along Charlotte Pike. The other two complexes are in Bellevue which is 2-3 more exits away from the core along I-40 & much more suburban in nature. But it is still within Nashville which is consolidated with Davidson County.

You should also check out Padmapper, RealTracs, Craigslist and Vandy's student resources as well for rental units that are not in the large complexes.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info! I am looking more into the Bellevue area since they have newer apartments that are in my price range. Does anyone have any information about the following apartments:

865 Bellevue
Colonial Grande
Richland Creek

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I am looking more into the Bellevue area since they have newer apartments that are in my price range. Does anyone have any information about the following apartments:

865 Bellevue
Colonial Grande
Richland Creek

Thanks!
There are many apartments near 70S & Old Hickory. Richland Creek is on White Bridge road. Closer to the city. Use #3 bus to get to Vandyland. Not sure how close apartments are to busy White Bridge Road.

865 Bellevue may be the next older community.

Colonial Grande is a gated apartment closer to Warner Park.

Because of the Bellevue Nashville floods, not sure what is available now. Plenty of places in the area to pick from.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:

865 Bellevue
Colonial Grande
Richland Creek

Thanks!
I'm sure you know this, but Bellevue is a 20-minute drive from Vanderbilt on a good day, and the farther you get from Vanderbilt/Downtown, the less convenient access you have to shopping/cafes/nightlife.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but if those really are priorities for you, Bellevue is a pretty far cry.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I'm sure you know this, but Bellevue is a 20-minute drive from Vanderbilt on a good day, and the farther you get from Vanderbilt/Downtown, the less convenient access you have to shopping/cafes/nightlife.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but if those really are priorities for you, Bellevue is a pretty far cry.
This is exactly right.

I went to grad school at Vandy, and it is more than just going to class. You sometimes have to go during off hours for study sessions or meetings, and Bellevue can be a dreaded drive back after a long day. Sometimes you might have to basically pack for the day when you leave in the morning, as opposed to being able to run home during the day if you have a break.

Bellevue would be a different lifestyle.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
There are many apartments near 70S & Old Hickory. Richland Creek is on White Bridge road. Closer to the city. Use #3 bus to get to Vandyland. Not sure how close apartments are to busy White Bridge Road
Richland Creek is gated and about a couple of blocks back off of White Bridge Road near the outer edge of the Richland Greenway.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM

From what I have seen on the internet, the apartments in the Hillsboro area look older and don't have very good reviews. I would obviously rather live closer to Vanderbilt, but several people have told me that there aren't any nicer/new apartment complexes in my price range. Do you all know of any that I could look into? I'm used to the longer drive and don't mind it, but if I could find a nice place closer that would be great.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
From what I have seen on the internet, the apartments in the Hillsboro area look older and don't have very good reviews. I would obviously rather live closer to Vanderbilt, but several people have told me that there aren't any nicer/new apartment complexes in my price range. Do you all know of any that I could look into? I'm used to the longer drive and don't mind it, but if I could find a nice place closer that would be great.
There are some newer apartments near Vanderbilt and Hillsboro Village, but they are going to be well over $800 for a 1br. This area of Nashville is very popular so the price points are higher. It's also denser than most areas of the city, so it's going to have more of the smaller, older complexes or buildings instead of the big, sprawling complexes with pools that you'd see further out. You may also want to consider looking for apartments in some of the old homes in the areas nearby. That should expand your options some as well.

I doubt you're ready to rent right now, but I did a quick scan of Craigslist and found a few places near Vanderbilt for around $800. Here's a nice one for $750:
BEAUTIFULLY REMODELED (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/2910625331.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: