U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,921,573 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to TN in a few weeks. We love to take day trips where we are now here in the northeast. We go to sit by a lake and watch the boats, go sightseeing, go to small towns and walk around the shops, etc.

Can anyone suggest some day trips to take?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 AM

12,403 posts, read 34,563,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
My husband and I will be moving to TN in a few weeks. We love to take day trips where we are now here in the northeast. We go to sit by a lake and watch the boats, go sightseeing, go to small towns and walk around the shops, etc.

Can anyone suggest some day trips to take?
I'm a big fan of Tennessee's state parks. My favorite is Fall Creek Falls, home to the tallest waterfall east of the Rockies. It's actually got 3 falls located within the park as well as some nice walking and biking trails (paved), a small lake, and a lodge with a really good buffet. It's located between Cookeville and Chattanooga, about 3 hours from White House.

Near Bowling Green KY is Mammoth Cave National Park. Mammoth Cave is the country's 2nd largest cave (Carlsbad Caverns in NM is the largest). That's only an hour or so from White House.

There are tons of lakes in the area, just look on a map and pick one that looks good. Unfortunately, with our current drought the water levels are pretty low.

Downtown Franklin is very nice and is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Lots of neat places for lunch. Franklin is 20-30 minutes south of Nashville.

Red Boiling Springs is in eastern Macon County (adjacent to Sumner County to the east). It's an old resort town which still has a few of its grand old hotels, the kind with huge front porches and rocking chairs, the kinds of hotels where people would go to escape Nashville's noise and congestion and where they would soak in the mineral water for which the town is named. Several of these grand old hotels have fabulous Southern-style dinners.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 AM

6,290 posts, read 21,448,704 times
I would have mentioned the lakes and Mammoth Cave as well. Also, Cheekwood in Nashville; the Opryland Hotel and Opry Mills (it's better than it sounds); the Jack Daniels Distillery; Radnor Lake Nature Area; Warner Park (maybe during the Steeplechase); a tour of the state capital and other downtown Nashville buildings such as the public library; Belle Meade Plantation; in the fall when the leaves are turning color take a drive east as far as you feel like, then turn back home; Land Between the Lakes; the Kentucky Derby (gotta have a mint julep once in your life); there's a couple of old car museums around; Bicentennial Mall; the Nashville Superspeedway for an Indy car race; sailboat races on Priest Lake; the flea market at the Nashville Farmer's Market; the Ryman, Hillsboro Village in Nashville; the Wildhorse Saloon, 4th of July at Riverfront Park; Centennial Park; Fort Donelson Battlefield; and, of course, the state parks.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks. It looks like we'll have plenty to do when we get there.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 PM

131 posts, read 540,023 times
You won't be far from Old Hickory Lake. One of the places we enjoy going to for lunch and drinks is Anchor High Marina in Hendersonville.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Lunch on Old Hickory Lake sounds nice. I'll have to plan this one.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Leaf raking in Bellevue could be the highlight of your year.

Just saying . . .

Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 18,734 times
Check out Rugby, TN. Its a small piece of Victorian England in the hills of Tennessee. The Xmas tour of the houses is great. Also in the same general area is the Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area. If you make it up to the Big South Fork try the train ride down to the old mining town site.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 AM

alleycat, I've done the leaf raking to the extreme where I live right now with over 50 oak trees to rake during the fall. I'll take a break from that activity for awhile. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
alleycat, I've done the leaf raking to the extreme where I live right now with over 50 oak trees to rake during the fall. I'll take a break from that activity for awhile. Thanks.
I was just kidding. Really.

Actually I have a "lawn girl". She does all of my yard stuff. I come home and go, "Wow, I've gotten the yard mowed."

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or