U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Acorn Hills Subdivsion in Columbia, TN a good place to live?
Awesome! 0 0%
It's ok. 0 0%
I'll live there if I have to. 3 100.00%
Rather live in a cardboard box! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 39,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenntenn View Post
honestly if i were you i would start saving money soon for your children's education. the schools in that area are not know to be the best, and you might consider sending your children to private school. If this is and option for you...i would seriously consider it!!!
Thanks I just might have to consider that. But I still have a few years. My kids are only 1 & 2. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks again. --Amy-
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,055 times
Good Luck! We're going to visit Columbia this summer and hopefully fall in love with the city and move. We really need to get out of Michigan and I can't wait for a new start

Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 30,878 times
Default Columbia is a nice place to live

My husband and our two children (ages 2 and 9 months) just moved to Columbia, and we really like it so far. I don't know where the Acorn Hills subdivision is, but if you can tell me some street names I can tell you about the area. Columbia is within a short 45 minute drive of several other towns that have great programs for children. The Maury Co library, which is located downtown, has a daily storytime and craft for kids. We go often and it is great. There are two huge parks, each with multiple playground areas for the kids. Just north of town (in Spring Hill) there is Publix supermarket, a brand new SuperTarget, and a bounce house/inflatable place for kids to play on rainy days. Two of the McDonalds have indoor playgrounds. The YMCA is a great resource with a super kids' nursery, swim lessons, a fantastic outside pool with a nice kiddie pool, and playgrounds. We live on the south side of town in an extremely safe neighborhood. As for the schools, some of the elementary schools, such as Woodard, are fantastic. What school district would you be in if you move to Acorn Hills? There are a lot of mommy resources that I suggest you check out as soon as you get here. There is a local MOMs club, play groups, and lots of preschools (but they fill up quickly, so call and register ASAP). The preschools meet 2 days a week or more from about 9 to 2, and they cost around $15 a day. My 2 year old goes to First Methodist and loves it. Also check out Music with Mommie, which is a fun local music class for kids. The local Discovery Gymnastics has a preschool class for kids as well.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,131 times
If you're looking for a good, safe school atmosphere, I would recommend Zion Christian Academy. It is relatively inexpensive for a private school and has good, friendly teachers and students. It's located about 10 minutes to the west of Columbia in beautiful countryside.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM

16 posts, read 50,274 times
My daughter and her family live in Columbia, her husband grew up there. She goes to Walmart on the far side of Columbia alone any time of the day or night, never had any problems. She lives about 2 miles towards Columbia from the Saturn plant and specifically bought in that area because they can send the kids to Spring Hill schools. There's lots of new subdivisions going up close to her.
Where the exit for Spring Hill and Columbia splits if you look off to the right you'll see a brand new shopping mall with a Super Target, Cracker Barrel, can't remember the name of the steak joint there, McDonalds and Home Depot across the road from the mall. If you go through Sping Hill there's a huge Kroger, Lowe's, another newish mall, heard there's going to be a Walmart there too. So there's a lot to choose from, nice selection of housing, people are VERY friendly and helpful. Never know who you might run into, lots of CM and Predator people sprinkled around between there and Nashville.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times
Hi, I was thinking of looking for a house here, my wife and I have a 16 month old daughter. My wife is Korean and I am a white American. I wonder if out in the woods kind of town will there be prejudice towards my wife. It seems like not much is going on and not much of a downtown and shopping (nice supermarket etc.) area is to be found. i hear about the crime. In these forms, it is always mixed opinion. but i wonder what the real deal is with regard to safety and quality of life for my family. Also, on an average commute, how long from the center of Columbia to downtown Nashville?

Any and all viewpoints are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob~

Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 PM

6,484 posts, read 11,479,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kelly View Post
Hi, I was thinking of looking for a house here, my wife and I have a 16 month old daughter. My wife is Korean and I am a white American. I wonder if out in the woods kind of town will there be prejudice towards my wife. It seems like not much is going on and not much of a downtown and shopping (nice supermarket etc.) area is to be found. i hear about the crime. In these forms, it is always mixed opinion. but i wonder what the real deal is with regard to safety and quality of life for my family. Also, on an average commute, how long from the center of Columbia to downtown Nashville?

Any and all viewpoints are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob~
I don't live in Columbia. My brother did for a few years though, so I've been around town more than a few times.

I don't think you will find any sort of overt prejudice towards you and your wife due to her being Korean. I'm not going to guarantee that you'll never get a look, but I doubt there would be anything more than a little awkwardness (there aren't a ton of Asians in the area).

It's a very blue collar area. The downtown is cute and historic, but you're right, not huge. Most of the commercial center is on the back (west) side of town on James Campbell. It's a town of ~34,000, so there are a decent number of your basic national and regional chains, plus local businesses. If you're familiar with this type of thing...a lot of businesses that locate in independent towns rather than suburbs.

I find Columbia a bit frustrating because it has a good bit more history than most towns in Middle Tennessee, and should be more important...it is sort of the de facto center of Southern Middle Tennessee, but it is overshadowed by a number of Nashville's suburbs these days. Part of the reason is just a bit too far to really fall under Nashville's influence. So it's certainly not a suburb of any sort.

Commuting from Columbia to Nashville...would not be very fun during rush hour. I hesitate to give you a time estimate because it could vary quite a bit, and there is ongoing road construction south of Franklin. When that is completed...it will be better...for a while.

All "nice" shopping will require a trip to Franklin/Cool Springs. There are a few newer things up in Spring Hill. And though I am critical of Spring Hill, if you are planning to commute to Nashville, and looking for things such as "nice supermarkets," I would advise you to look in Spring Hill over Columbia. And Spring Hill is a bit safer.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 14,384 times
I was surprised to see a Columbia thread resurface. My wife and I just packed up and bought a house in Historic Columbia not too long ago. She was skeptical at first, but something was telling us to move there, so we did, and sold our house the day the sign went in the yard. We both LOVE it here and don't plan to leave! People are friendly and it's MUCH more laid back than anything North of 396. I commute to Nashville daily, and my wife to Maryland farms. While we'd both like to work in Columbia to be better connected, the commute isn't that bad. In fact, I much prefer the morning commute compared to previous commutes from Hendersonville or Old Hickory (longer drive, but much faster speed now). Everyone thinks we're crazy, but the 40 mile drive is almost always 55-80mph. I will be excited for 65S construction to finish, as it is a massive bottle neck (and if you sit in it you will be miserable), but for now I get off at 96 and go 60mph backroads until jumping back on at 840. Wedgewood Ave to Columbia Square runs me about 40-55 minutes consistently. Spring Hill is a great town, but it's dang near impossible to get to during rush hour with it's 2 lane main street and no 65 access other than 840 and the 396 bypass. Might as well go 60mph 10 more miles down to Columbia on the 4 lane instead of sitting at red lights at 15mph IMO.

Crime and schools were our concerns moving here, but we moved across from Columbia Academy, which is reasonably priced, and the city is trying to build/renovate a new high school for $45 million. Crime is higher than most burbs, but seems to be centralized to certain parts of town. We feel MUCH safer in Columbia than we ever did in Donelson/Hermitage/Old Hickory.

There are many organizations in town working to make Columbia a better place to live and I'm nothing short of impressed thus far. The city administration and county commissioners seem to be what's slow to make progress. The achiles heel seems to be poverty/crime stricken areas, but at the same time it also creates an awareness and caring atmosphere in the community that is hard to find in the suburbs.

PS - Go visit Puckett's on the square.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM

151 posts, read 281,530 times
So nice to hear some positive posts about Columbia. We moved here 3.5 yrs. ago and love it, but we are retired and do not have children in the school system. I think if I did I would consider one of the private schools here. Our neighbor commutes to Vanderbilt Hospital. On a non-rush hour trip we are 45 min. to downtown Nashville. We are North of town, just off of 31, which would make a better commute.
Everything moves very slowly here. Lots of possibilities for downtown development, but I really think the people that have lived here all their lives don't want it to get discovered like Franklin. Puckett's has been a great addition. Columbia State has many concerts, lectures, etc. many of which are free.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
5/28/2015
We are looking to move e to Columbia, Tn. Can anyone please let us know how the west side is; crime, shopping, etc. We will be moving into Countryside Village, which is a gated community - but the crime rate in the town seems to be high for such a small town. Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or