Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 70,990 times

Advertisements

If you HAD to give the most ACCURATE stereotype the residents/way of life, social/culture, hobbies, crime statistics, etc regarding the following areas, how would you describe them? Will be selecting from the following areas, and only want to ensure I at least somewhat fit in w/ no surprises...Honest help appreciated.

Hendersonville
Mt Juliet
La Vergne
Smyrna
Brentwood
Fairview
Nolensville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
This could only lead to trouble, you know.

This is as far as I'll go on this one. But I'm not vouching for any of these:

http://tramp55555.wordpress.com/2007...ashville-area/

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 03-18-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Not looking for users to argue, yet just voice their own valid personal respectful opinion.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

I'm just saying, in the past these have gotten ugly.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,400 times
I moved to Hendersonville from Texas last May. I would define Hendersonville as you bought your first house 8 years ago and now you have kids and want to move up a tier with good schools. Hendersonville is that next step up, you are doing pretty good type city to me.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM

I just noticed there are no Nolensville or Fairview Barbies on that list.

Nolensville is a TINY old town that has seen a lot of suburban growth recently. It has less than 6,000 people, and is a mix of families locating there for schools and less expensive housing, and old folks who have lived there for years.

Fairview is country life. It has about 8,000 people who were very excited to get a Publix grocery store but not as excited when they heard about a new Wal-Mart coming in.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Brentwood is definitely the wealthiest and I would say probably has the highest percentage of transplants of this group.
Hendersonville is mostly middle to upper middle class with some uberwealth on the lake.
Mt Juliet is middle to upper middle class as well with a sizable retirement community in addition to the young families.
Smyrna is a little more diverse and probably the most white collar of the Rutherford county suburbs.
Nolensville is kind of middle of the road for Williamson county which means it's still very nice, white collar, somewhat wealthy, not very diverse.
Fairview is still pretty rural but becoming more white collar/suburban.
LaVergne is overwhelmingly blue collar and much more diverse than any of the others.

If I had to rank them by crime, based on my oberservations only:
Starting with the safest
Nolensville
Brentwood
Mt Juliet
Hendersonville
Fairview
Smyrna
LaVergne

Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanking you both for all the insight!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
This Vandy stereotype is ridiculously off the mark, in my experience. I've attended Vandy for three years and find the vast majority of the student body to be more made up and impeccably dressed than 95% of the population at large. You're more likely to find Vanderbilt ladies grilling steaks in sundresses at a tailgate than protesting on stomachs full of organic sprouts.

Pretty irrelevant to this thread, but still. My mind is kind of blown that anyone could have that impression of Vanderbilt in comparison to, say, almost any school in the Northeast or West Coast.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Hendersonville - covered in goose crap
Mount Juliet - ZZZZZzzzzzz
La Vergne - warehouses and ghettos
Smyrna - a better La Vergne
Brentwood - snooty stuck up rich people
Fairview - *cue banjo music*
Nolensville - a narrow spot in the road

Oh...you meant accurate stereotypes.

Okay...these aren't all stereotypes...but sort of a pros/cons list. These are my opinion, of course.

Hendersonville - Approaching upscale. Fairly well-educated. Family-oriented. More of a boat/watersport culture than you will find in any of the other suburbs. Second best shopping of the options you listed. Growing, but not explosively. Largest suburb among the options you listed (51,000+ residents). Good alternative to Franklin.

Mount Juliet - Very fast growing. Similar demographically to Hendersonville. Family-oriented. The "other" side of the lake from Hendersonville. Some shopping. Good airport access. Only suburb listed with commuter rail access (there's only one line at this point), which helps with a tricky commute at the 40/24 bottleneck. ~25,000 residents.

La Vergne - Blue collar. Racially diverse for a Nashville suburb. Has gained a negative reputation (whether or not totally deserved) similar to the Antioch area of Nashville. Affordable housing. Lots of warehouses and distribution centers. Hellish I-24 commute. Rapid growth. 32,000+ residents.

Smyrna - Better reputation than La Vergne. Somewhat of a mix of blue collar and white collar residents. Home to Nissan plant. Same rough commute as La Vergne...but slightly farther. Closer to Murfreesboro. Rapid growth, but better planned than La Vergne. Fairly recent growth in shopping options (+ the proximity to Murfreesboro's shopping). Second largest suburb listed (40,000+ residents).

Brentwood - By far the most upscale and expensive suburb listed. Most upscale large Nashville suburb. Very well educated. Large lots. No apartments. Closer to downtown Nashville (10-12 miles) than the other suburbs. Large office park. Shares Cool Springs mega shopping area with Franklin. Arguably the best location among all the places listed (good proximity to a lot of areas). Rush hour traffic (in town) is bad. High growth rate. 38,000+ residents.

Fairview - Most isolated location listed. Access to Nashville isn't great, but will be better positioned for cross-metro travel when TN-840 (bypass) is completed. Mix of suburban and rural: kind of country. Less expensive option for a Williamson County address. Boring. ~8,000 residents.

Nolensville - Smallest suburb listed (~6,000 residents), but rapid growth due to proximity to Brentwood, Nashville, and Smyrna. Mix of rural/farmland and suburban housing. Less expensive alternative for Brentwood. Interstate access isn't overly easy.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville