Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM

67 posts, read 125,065 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate for a few reasons. I own an internet company, so I'm not moving for a job, but I am moving for no income tax

What we (late 20's couple) like: hiking, parks, running paths, lakes, outdoor activities, good sunny weather, nice people, good quality of life, decent shopping, whole foods type stores, nice gyms, not a lot of traffic, movie theaters etc. Not into bars or partying.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two areas. I've been to both. I'm concerned about the heat and the traffic in Austin and also how far it is from other cities, but also concerned I might be bored in Nashville after a while.

Loved the Franklin, cool springs, area in Nashville for homes, shopping, central location etc. I've only been to Austin proper, westlake etc, not Round Rock, but it was suggested to me, but I loved a lot about Austin, like the younger hipper feel, the endless hiking trails, whole foods etc.

Thoughts on Nashville vs Austin, and/or any other suggestions? How bout the weather - how much hotter is Austin than Nashville during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
As much as I loved living in Austin, I think Franklin is much more liveable.

Austin is so big now than when I lived there 15 years ago. I go back regularly and I'm still amazed at how much it grows each year.

IF you are concerned about taxes, property taxes are a lot lower in TN than Texas.

Tennessee has some of the best state parks in the country for hiking/camping, etc.
Both Austin outskirts and Franklin have very good road biking, but the weather is much more pleasant in Franklin. There were weeks in Austin when I wondered when it was going to get below 100.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
I've lived in both metros multiple times. Round Rock is about as boring suburbia as anywhere, with a freeway, a state funded boondoggle tollway and no historical downtown. The latter not true of Franklin, although Round Rock has a AAA ball club. BTW as a kid I used to go to Sulfur Dell stadium in Nashville, and they have Dell Diamond in Round Rock: Dell Diamond - Round Rock, Texas

Austin area much hotter than Nashville, but less humid. Rain is very rare in July/Aug with watering restrictions every year, and wilting vegetation in August. The drought is over in Houston, but not in Austin.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
I think Nashville actually has more "to do" than Austin. I used to live in Dallas, and I found the area boring sometimes... especially during the summer. Now, the restaurant scene in Dallas is unbeatable anywhere (and I realize that Austin is NOT Dallas)... but I find Nashville to have many similarities to Dallas (pro sports, not dominated by colleges but there are great colleges there, very good shopping, and great restaurants, to name a few...). Plus, Nashville is like Austin in many ways too... the music, the size and natural beauty, their status as state capitals, and the "vibe"...). I think you would really enjoy living in the 12South area or the Sylvan Park/Heights areas. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 15,797 times
Bump. Anyone else lived in these areas or have additional info on this subject?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Nashville and Austin are nearly identical in every aspect, music, arts, history, and as state capitals. Both Nashville and Austin have a great young population and new and trendy areas that are attracting young professionals in the area (12 south/West End for Nashville and 6th St./Travis Heights for Austin). Austin has seen a tremendous development in a shorter period of time than Nashville. The downtown skyline is almost unrecognizebale compared to a decade ago. The economies of both cities are fairing very well compared to the rest of the country in part due to the diversity of their economies. Having lived in both areas, here is my take.

Austin Pros:

Eclectic neighborhoods, tech driven economy, young population, diversity, excellent high achieving school districts, high end shopping, food, weirdness in a state dominated by conservatism, Whole Foods .

Austin Cons:

Desert heat, uninspiring vegetation, inferior highway system, proximity to urban areas other than in Texas, it's in Texas, not much else Austin is great!

Nashville Pros:

Diverse economy, tourism, proximity to urban areas, topography, highway system, high end shopping, universities, entertainment, liveability, four season weather pattern, really nice people, skyline, fashion, music, medical facilities

Nashville Cons:

Weak school system, suburbs make up the majority new job growth and economic development, traffic, constant construction, surface parking, odd zoning issues (a waste facility is literally next to a multimillion dollar hotel and convention center) blend of liberal and conservatism not nearly as effortless as Austin, still trying way too hard to be like Atlanta

Either city would be a good choice for you guys, it really depends on your taste. Nashville is much more Eastern influenced and Southern while Austin is more Western influenced. The weather is much more humid in Nashville during the summer months. Tornados are a major threat every now and then as well. Austin is hotter, but has milder winters.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
As I have discussed many times before, we were down to the same choices when me moved here from NorCal. We chose Franklin for many reasons. Here are a few-

1. While there is a LOT to love about Austin, (oh, the migas!), the traffic was a major drawback for us. We, too, were told Round Rock was the place for us. We drove to/from Austin during rush hour and wanted to kill ourselves.

2. General quality of construction was much better in our price range in Franklin than in Round Rock. My husband is a builder and was appalled at what was happening in the two new subdivisions we visited that were under construction. Granted, 2 builders don't establish a norm, but it shed some light on what was allowed.

3. After spending a few days in Franklin, we began to wonder what we had seen in Round Rock. I have to agree with groovamos- Round Rock was just boring. Maybe we missed it, but Franklin had the history, personality, and community feel we were after.

We love Franklin and are very happy with our decision. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville